Why become a member? ×

HELP! I've got G.A.S. £200 available...

solo4652

10 weeks ago I bought a new Yamaha BB404 and a cheap Stagg practice amp. I've definitely caught the bass-playing bug. Generally, I download a favourite song from Youtube, find the chords for it, and jam along. I'm up to 25 songs now. A drum-playing friend has asked me to jam along with him. A band beckons in the future. Don't laugh, please. Rightly or wrongly, I'm already starting to think about the kit I've got.

I've got £200 burning a hole in my pocket. What's the most sensible way to spend this in order to sensibly upgrade my kit?

1. Buy another bass? I've played an Epiphone Thunderbird and really liked the easy action. I've also been looking out for a secondhand Fender mexican Jazz.

2. Stick with the Yamaha, and upgrade the amp? If so, what's a good one to buy that might be OK for performing at a party indoors? Something small, light yet powerful

3. Do nothing for now - just keep practising? Boring.

Seriously - what would be a sensible way forward?

I think in your position I'd be thinking about picking up a better amp. The Yamaha has a reputation good enough to warrant hanging on to for a bit, whereas I suspect the practice amp is hardly a tone monster so you'd see an immediate improvement in your sound with an upgrade. Plus of course you'll need something louder for when you start gigging.

You could look into a Ashdown MAG set up - they're a bit marmite, but second hand they can be picked up under £200.

.. or hire a limo and down a bottle of Cristal - live the rock n roll lifestyle without all that playing nonsense :)

Or is that not helpful?

PS, I'd get a decent 2nd hand 1x15 or 2x10 combo too (Ashdown, Trace etc)

You answered your own question when you said... [quote name='solo4652' post='195537' date='May 9 2008, 04:35 PM']cheap Stagg practice amp[/quote]
Yam basses are good solid instruments. A better amp is definitely the way to go. Either save up some more shekels, or look for the best thing you can find with your current budget.

I can see your dilemma, you have gas. Your a bassist, you want basses. However if you want to be heard too I agree with the rest ampage. Id suggest saving up a tad further.

Highly recommend the Line6 lowdown series :)

As everyone else has said: don't let that money burn a hole in your pocket, put it to one side until you're in a position to add about £100 or so and then check the classifieds. You won't regret it.

Got GAS? No you haven't. You just think you have!!!
While you are playing on your own your gear is fine. Save your money and add to it. When you start rehearsing with others you will need a bigger, better amp but not before.

Well, thank you to all who replied. I'm certainly getting the consistent message that the thing to do is upgrade the amp when I need to. I'll need help and guidance to do so, so look out for my cry for help in the near future.

I'm not sure I fully understand the difference between an amp and a combo. Can somebody advise?

[quote name='solo4652' post='195639' date='May 9 2008, 07:10 PM']Well, thank you to all who replied. I'm certainly getting the consistent message that the thing to do is upgrade the amp when I need to. I'll need help and guidance to do so, so look out for my cry for help in the near future.

I'm not sure I fully understand the difference between an amp and a combo. Can somebody advise?[/quote]

Essentially a rig is made up of the Amplifier and the Speaker Cabinet (aka cab).

The amp is also known as the "head", it's the electrical box of wonders that the instrument plugs into, and has knobs on (it contains a pre-amp and a poweramp). A cab is a box, with a speaker(s) in.
Cabs and heads are seperate units, with cabling linking the two.

A combo is ONE unit which combines both the amp and speakers in one packager, and your practice amp is a good example of a combo.

Lots more information here: [url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/[/url]

Amp is often used as generic term to describe what makes sound, whether it be a combo or a head, but it also can refer to just the head.

As a note, generally the more powerful the rig is, the less chance of it being a combo, generally due to portability, powerful combos can be very heavy (there are exceptions but they cost more).

Er, I think that's it.

Have to agree with the rest. Save up and get a combo. A 1 x 15 Ashdown combo would be a great move and if you get secondhand your save some money which you can spend on beer or give to me to go towards my Cherryburst Musicman Stingray that I want but can't afford for yonks and yonks.

[quote name='Buzz' post='195647' date='May 9 2008, 07:29 PM']Essentially a rig is made up of the Amplifier and the Speaker Cabinet (aka cab).

The amp is also known as the "head", it's the electrical box of wonders that the instrument plugs into, and has knobs on (it contains a pre-amp and a poweramp). A cab is a box, with a speaker(s) in.
Cabs and heads are seperate units, with cabling linking the two.

A combo is ONE unit which combines both the amp and speakers in one packager, and your practice amp is a good example of a combo.

Lots more information here: [url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/[/url]

Amp is often used as generic term to describe what makes sound, whether it be a combo or a head, but it also can refer to just the head.

As a note, generally the more powerful the rig is, the less chance of it being a combo, generally due to portability, powerful combos can be very heavy (there are exceptions but they cost more).

Thank you. Exactly the advice and information I needed. I'll be looking out for a decent secondhand combo shortly. Stockport area. Anybody got anything for me? Please treat me gently - I'm new to all this!

Er, I think that's it.[/quote]