Why become a member? ×

The Labella Bass guitar!!!

alstocko

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1352141188' post='1859305']
Alleva, Sadowsky and overwater etc etc all have full order books ;)
[/quote]

There should be some kind of law requiring one 'boutique Fender-based design' instrument maker to go out of business before another one can start. I own a Sadowsky, but even I think that the boutique Fender market is getting a bit silly.

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1352151206' post='1859505']
Actually, i may wait for the Rotosound Jazz Bass.
[/quote]

Complete with un-sanded neck for extra texture so it matches the strings...

Nah, I like Rotos.

Edited by thodrik

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1352203476' post='1859944']
I've just looked at the pics on their website. The neck pocket has some serious finishing issues and the clay dot between the 16th and 17th fret looks like it is crumbling away, apart from that and the abortion of a headstock, it's a mighty fine way to waste money.
[/quote]

f***ing hell, you're right, it's mess isn't it. Covered in sh*t and dust too.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1352168080' post='1859692']
Just out of interest,I noticed that it's being made by Mas Hino who used to make instruments for Pensa and Atelier Z,so even though it's another Precision,you know it's going to be great instrument.
[/quote]

Maybe, but I thought the whole point of Fender's designs was that they were able to be made simply and cheaply using the machinery available in the 50s and assembled by people who did not necessarily have luthier skills. Consequently there are lots of things in the design that are compromises that allow the instrument to be built to the price point by less skilled labour.

Therefore the point of having a luthier-made copy would be that you could either avoid some of those compromises or you could offer an extra level of custom specifications over the instrument you are copying. This bass seems to offer neither. I could just about understand the price and the need for it to be hand built by a respected luthier if the customer could specify neck profile, fingerboard radius, amount of body contouring etc, but AFAICS these instruments are all built to exactly the same specification with a choice of 4 body finishes being the only options available. In fact if I was buying a fixed spec instrument I'd much rather it was cut out by a good CNC machine so that I know exactly what I am getting rather than having the rely on a human being getting it right every time.

La Bella have been my strings of choice for some years now. I think I might have to start looking for some suitable alternatives if this is the sort of thing that they are wasting their resources on now as it can only be to the detriment of the company.

Are you being serious?!

You're going to stop using their awesome strings because they've made a bad decision?!

Isn't that cutting off the nose to spite the face a little? I think Ibanez make terrible effects. Doesn't stop me buying their instruments.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1352206325' post='1860019']
Are you being serious?!

You're going to stop using their awesome strings because they've made a bad decision?!

Isn't that cutting off the nose to spite the face a little? I think Ibanez make terrible effects. Doesn't stop me buying their instruments.

Truckstop
[/quote]

No what I'm saying is that I'm seriously worried about the financial health of a company that considers investing time and money in such a poorly thought out instrument.

The La Bella strings that I use are already hard enough to come by in this country - last time I enquired of their distributor one of the sets I wanted had been discontinued and the other was out of stock with a least a month's wait before any more would be available.

I'm just covering myself so I won't be completely disappointed when the strings I like to use are no longer available.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1352207854' post='1860071']

No what I'm saying is that I'm seriously worried about the financial health of a company that considers investing time and money in such a poorly thought out instrument.

The La Bella strings that I use are already hard enough to come by in this country - last time I enquired of their distributor one of the sets I wanted had been discontinued and the other was out of stock with a least a month's wait before any more would be available.

I'm just covering myself so I won't be completely disappointed when the strings I like to use are no longer available.
[/quote]

Ah, I see. Apologies! So out of curiosity, which strings do you like to use? I'm perfectly happy with the bog-standard stainless steels!

Truckstop