Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Added Twist

charic

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1353007466' post='1870493']
I use these [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd662_f.htm."]http://www.thomann.d...ux_hd662_f.htm.[/url] They're dirt cheap, and the company makes the parts for AKG (you'll notice these look almost identical to a pair of AKGs). They sound strikingly similar to my M-Audio BX5a monitors so work perfectly for me. Top quality and you simply can not argue with the price. Worth a punt for £27.
[/quote]

They arent on the link you posted, any chance of letting me know what they are and where i can get a pair

Cheers

:)

Thanks for the info guys!

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353012764' post='1870593']
It might be more combustion than composition...

How do you guys right music? i'm having awful trouble here.

Edit- WRITE* er-durrrr! :(
[/quote]

Ah, I didn't write anything, I just played what my eyes and ears told me (oh and the little voices in my head lol).

Shows too :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1353013957' post='1870613']
Ah, I didn't write anything, I just played what my eyes and ears told me (oh and the little voices in my head lol).

Shows too :)
[/quote]

:(

I didn't mean physically write. I have a chord progression, but it's all in the rhythm, and i don't know what to do with the bassline or anything else. i have a bit of a melody too.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353014482' post='1870625']
:(

I didn't mean physically write. I have a chord progression, but it's all in the rhythm, and i don't know what to do with the bassline or anything else. i have a bit of a melody too.
[/quote]

When I have a chord progression, I tend to set my drum machine (Yamaha keyboard with drum machine built in) to a tempo that fits and play the chords to the beat.
I then make up a bass line to suit chords.
Guitar solo comes next.

Then you can re-record any bits you don't like.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1353009838' post='1870546']So are people judging this on the composition quality or mix quality or both. I thought it was just the composition.[/quote]

I think it's ultimately down to the discretion of the listener. For me, a good mix is one I tend not to notice, so it doesn't distract from the song itself. But ultimately I think composition quality trumps mix quality. I mean, a good song tends to shine thru no matter how badly it's recorded, within reason of course.

Personally, I find these challenges quite hard to judge! There are always lots of entries that I like and lots of different styles too, which mixes things up a bit. Not that I'd want it any other way. I tend to place less emphasis on how accurately the song reflects the theme of the month - so long as it's not way off the radar, that's fine by me. My method for judging basically involves trying to listen to all the tracks in one sitting - taking brief notes on each (yeah, I'm that sad!) - then I go off and do something else for a while... whichever track ends up getting stuck in my head afterwards normally gets the vote. At least that's how I've approached the previous months challenges.

But like I said, everyone probably has their own way of reaching a decision. There's no right or wrong to it.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353012764' post='1870593']How do you guys right music? i'm having awful trouble here. Edit- WRITE* er-durrrr! :([/quote]

Honestly, I have no idea! I certainly have no kind of standard 'method' that I'm aware of. I tend to get a melody, lyric or bassline rattling around in my head. If so, I'll try to capture it in the instant by humming it into my phone. And things just sort of take shape from there. Production wise I always start by arranging the drums and bass - just a habit from my experience of dance music I guess - then add vocals and keep building it up layer by layer from there. If you're stuck, maybe take some time out and listen to a bunch of music from the genre you're working with? Or just go do something else, let your brain switch off and see if something emerges from your subconscious. Usually works for me! ;)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353012764' post='1870593']How do you guys right music? i'm having awful trouble here.[/quote]

Bits just occasionally come to mind. Often when I'm in the shower strangely :o that leads to continued humming to myself until I can get out, dry, switch the Mac on and get the DAW running. By which time hopefully I still have that kernel bouncing around my skull, not dislodged by something else, and I can VERY roughly record it having tap tempoed the speed roughly.

For drums I use Submersible Drumcore, which is basically a big audio & midi loop library so initially go for a basic beat of the sort of feel I want and thenonce the basic idea is down look a bit harder for the loops that I like / work for me .

And if I do manage to get something my next problem is a complete dearth of lyric ideas - as can be seen from the selection of tat on my Soundcloud account that have titles like "A Song in need of some words" etc :(

Sadly more often than not that becomes another Edit in the DAW with a clip that I may or may not come back to one day to do something with. That's a bad day. A good day I might actually have time to spend working it up to something else. Sadly those happen rarely.

A really bad day I think "I fancy recording something" and then spend a whole evening getting the square root of b'all. I really must rewatch that John Cleese talk on "Inspiration" on YouTube again

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1353019697' post='1870715']
Bits just occasionally come to mind. Often when I'm in the shower strangely :o that leads to continued humming to myself until I can get out, dry, switch the Mac on and get the DAW running. By which time hopefully I still have that kernel bouncing around my skull, not dislodged by something else...[/quote]

That made me laugh! A very familiar situation... the number of songs I've lost on the journey from taking a cr@p to booting up my computer is no joke :D [i][sorry guys, that's probably more info than you needed!][/i]

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353012764' post='1870593']
How do you guys right music? i'm having awful trouble here.

Edit- WRITE* er-durrrr! :(
[/quote]
I tend to hear the overall impression of what i want to achieve then i write little melodies and find chord progressions then i harmonise and arrange it. Then i start recording it but if i have any ideas during that i sometimes re arrange or add or take things. This current one is a bit of a challenge tho as i never give myself a time frame. Usually i spend a longtime. I once took 18 months writing something, so this is a first. Probably why i'm havin a little panic about gettin this done.

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1353012530' post='1870589']
They arent on the link you posted, any chance of letting me know what they are and where i can get a pair

Cheers

:)

Thanks for the info guys!
[/quote]

Yeah sorry, I had a fullstop at the end: http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd662_f.htm - Superlux 662f headphones. :)

I do find that listening to drums/beats one i have an original idea can take the song in whole new directions.
I suppose that's sort of the closest thing to jamming with a band, other than jamming with a band lol.
I also really like humming stuff while i walk my dogs, but to paraphrase Skol303 the amount of stuff i've probably lost by the time i get my DAW up and running is biblical. Although i do have garage band on my phone now which is straight up ridiculous how good it is and what it can do .
On a phone!!!
Madness.

I usually start with either a bassline or a melody. Voice memos on the iphone is a very handy thing for times when you can't get to a daw. :)

This month's might get done for the repeat next year at the rate I'm going. I managed to sort a little more guitar & then turned the xbox on after 15 mins. :blush:

I find that I use all sorts of different methods for composing; chords first, drums first, bassline first, melody first.... I often write contrefacts (new heads for exisitng chord sequences - see 'At The End Of The Avenue' on my soundcloud page). The best pieces come out whole and get built aroudn a firm idea but, sometimes, I get into little exercises that bear fruit (see Composing For Dummies). On this month's composition, I had it all thought out before I switched the computer on and, after that, it was a case of colouring in the original sketch. In general terms, I think that, where the creative process is concerned, anything goes and the end justifies the means.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353056133' post='1870942']
oh f***! i just realised i have nothing to create a drum beat with other than apple loop...[/quote]

Fear not, help is at hand!

Reaper is a superb DAW with a generous (in fact unlimited) free trial that you could use to programme a beat using free VSTs:

[url="http://www.reaper.fm/"]http://www.reaper.fm/[/url]

You can download free drum loops under Creative Commons license from this site (a great resource IMO):

[url="http://www.freesound.org/"]http://www.freesound.org/[/url]

And if all else fails try this:

[url="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+drum+loops"]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+drum+loops[/url] ;)

Edited by Skol303

Well, I was hoping to get something done over the last couple of days. Unfortunately, it's been one thing followed by another.

Tuesday - discovered the fridge/freezer packed up and was rapidly defrosting - nearly 100 quids worth of food ruined.
Wednesday - hospital visit for some spinal nerve root injections - doctor screwed up and I'm now in more pain that before.
Thursday morning (early) - dragged myself to the music PC - old M-Audio speakers have packed up
Thursday morning (late) - thought sod it and ordered a nice shiny pair of KRK Rokit 6's for next day delivery
Thursday afternoon - after f'ing around with the speakers for a bit, gave up and put the headphones on, and promptly wheeled my chair over the cable and sliced it....they weren't much good anyway (constant crackling etc), but better than nothing.
Friday - sitting around like a spare part waiting for new speakers - doesn't look like they have been dispatched.

So - if they don't arrive today or tomorrow, I will have to miss this one as well, as I definitely won't have time during the week.

Right now, I am not particularly happy. :lol:

Edited by arsenic

^ They say bad things come in... what is it, sixes in your case?! Sounds like you're having a proper 'mare of a week. Here's wishing you some positive karma and hoping that your KRK's come to the rescue this weekend.

You could always try laying out your track using your computer's built-in speakers for the time being, then finishing it off once your monitors arrive? Not ideal but might be worth a go.

oh f***! i just realised i have nothing to create a drum beat with other than apple loop...
[/quote]
I used a box of slug pellets as a shaker last month-thinks out loud maybe that is why I didn't win haahaa

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353070022' post='1871212']
^ They say bad things come in... what is it, sixes in your case?! Sounds like you're having a proper 'mare of a week. Here's wishing you some positive karma and hoping that your KRK's come to the rescue this weekend.

You could always try laying out your track using your computer's built-in speakers for the time being, then finishing it off once your monitors arrive? Not ideal but might be worth a go.
[/quote]

Thanks for the positive thoughts.

I use a desktop so no built in speakers - and the laptop is not capable of running Reason - I do have copies of Ableton, Presonus One and Reaper, but I haven't had chance to get familiar with them yet - not really had to, as Reason is perfect for the way I work - I need to bully myself into getting my arse in gear.

Anyway - Spoken to DV247 about the order, and they seem at a loss as to explain what is going on - but still seem hopeful that all will arrive on time.

Anyway - got a good deal on two KRK RP6's, a set of angled acoustic pads and two balanced jack to XLR cables.

Back on topic :D

There have been some fabulous entries this month - So I'm not expecting to get anywhere. I have to keep reminding myself that it is a composition competition and not a mixing competition - although that obviously helps.

Here's hoping everything turns out right with the world today.

oh f***! i just realised i have nothing to create a drum beat with other than apple loop...
[/quote]Have a look at [url="http://www.sonomawireworks.com/drumcore/downloads/"]Drumcore Free[/url]. It's:[list]
[*]Free
[*]has a basic selection of loops
[*]a couple of kits, so you can also fire the kits by midi
[*]free :)
[/list]

[quote name='arsenic' timestamp='1353071742' post='1871243']I use a desktop so no built in speakers... [/quote]

Ah... no speakers at all is quite a problem! 'Least you get to play with a shiny new pair of KRKs when they arrive, hopefully sooner than later mate.

PS: fellow Reason user here! Love it as a DAW. Not everyone's cup of tea but it suits my workflow perfectly, as you said yourself.