Why become a member? ×

Low tension flats?

Looper

Can anyone recommend a good set of low(er) tension flats the wont break the bank (Ti's are a bit out of my price range)?
I'm look at putting flats on my jazz to hopefully get a bit more thump, but I know nothing about flats.
One issue seems to be the higher tension which I don't like the sound of, so any suggestions would be very welcome.

Not really thought of tapewounds before as I know even less about them, but black strings could be a good look!
Strings seem to be like carbs on a bike, a dark and mysterious art to get right, but when they're right you know it.
With my P I just stuck a set of roto's on it and it's grand, like setting up a carb on a single cylinder bike.
Getting the jazz right is more like getting the vacuum gauges out to do a four cylinder.
Thanks for the suggestions.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1351201115' post='1848751']
Might not be what you're looking for but D'Addario Black Nylon Flats are similar tension to TIs (although less compliant) and substantially cheaper.
[/quote]
This is true. They're a touch livelier than many flats, but still essentially flattish sounding. I was not particularly taken with the B string on mine, however.

Try Status Hot Wires, online from their website, about £20 posted & not far off TI's. [url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/stringsinfo.html"]http://www.status-gr...tringsinfo.html[/url]

[url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/stringsinfo.html"]http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/stringsinfo.html[/url]

Edited by KiOgon

I've got a set of Fender flats on my Jazz (45, 65, 80, 100) and they're definitely a little lower in tension compared with the D'addario nickle round XLs (45, 65, 85, 105) that were previously on it.
I went for slightly thinner A and E string to compensate for the extra pull that I was expecting. But there isn't any.
The Fender flats have a few fans on here, and are about 15 quid a set.

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1351548812' post='1852595']
The Fender flats have a few fans on here, and are about 15 quid a set.
[/quote]
That includes me, the 9050CL set, which are the best value-for-money of any set of bass strings I've ever played in over 36 years of playing bass. I put a set on my main bass over two years ago, and they have at least that much life left in them.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' timestamp='1351541405' post='1852435']
When I put Status Hotwires on my P, it was fitted with D'addario XL nickel wounds at the time and they went on without having to adjust the truss rod at all, so they must be a similar tension. Cracking strings for the money the Hotwires are.
[/quote]

What gauge are your Status Hotwires? They´re HotWire Flats right?

• 1 month later...

Just put on the Ti's I got for xmas. Flats are way for me from now on, they've transformed my bass. Will see what they're like once they're broken in but they have the sound I've been looking for, lovely to play and nice low tension (had to back the truss rod off a bit). Can't see ever going back to rounds again.

[quote name='Looper' timestamp='1357063675' post='1917033']
Just put on the Ti's I got for xmas. Flats are way for me from now on, they've transformed my bass. Will see what they're like once they're broken in but they have the sound I've been looking for, lovely to play and nice low tension (had to back the truss rod off a bit). Can't see ever going back to rounds again.
[/quote]
That was exactly my experience when I tried them - I've now got them on every bass I own, and love the sound and feel. I find String Express (stringexpress.co.uk) usually have the best price, even beating Thomann.

And if you ever do decide to change, the resale value is good - every set I've seen up for sale on here has sold very quickly.

[quote name='Looper' timestamp='1357063675' post='1917033']
...Flats are way for me from now on, they've transformed my bass... ...Can't see ever going back to rounds again.[/quote]

Welcome to the club. I played rounds for thirty-odd years and am a recent convert to flats. No going back! :)