Why become a member? ×

What have I done???

Twigman

I went and bought a 6 string!!!!

I've never really played much 6 string before.
I bought it because I have been writing some stuff for our next album and the guitarist is complaining that some of my guitar lines are proving difficult to play.
this is probably because they've been written on a keyboard using Orange tree Samples EEG Strawberry...
I thought if I started writing on a guitar shaped object then the lines might prove more playable.

Thing is the strings are too close together and my fingers too fat!!!!
LOL

It's an Epiphone Sheraton II in ebony with inlays and binding and gold hardware......

[quote name='Themrperson' timestamp='1351010907' post='1846213']
Oh dear! This is why I would never buy online! You get a product that doesn't suit you because you didn't try it out first!
[/quote]

All 6 strings are like this!!!! (strings too close together) - it's the nature of the beast!!!!!!

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1351013703' post='1846254']
It's hard to tell if some people are joking or if they've completly missed that it's not a bass.
[/quote]
I just think some people simply don't have a sense of humour or are German perhaps.

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1351010976' post='1846215']
All 6 strings are like this!!!! (strings too close together) - it's the nature of the beast!!!!!!
[/quote]

Oh, sorry I have never owned one and I'm still a noob sort of when it comes to this.and I couldn't even tell that it was a guitar XD

Edited by Themrperson

If you are considering changing the guitar, definately consider getting a Gordon Smith, as they have the widest nut widths and necks (allowing the most room for fat fingers (like mine !)) around.
I struggle playing 6 strings with the usual standard Fender or Gibson nut widths. It's a whole different ball game with a 45mm nut width though. Feels the "same", just more room !

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1351111391' post='1847591']
Was talking to the owner of my local shop today and someone apparently tried to return a bass a few weekaghast. The reason for returning it was because he thought it was just a guitar for beginners.......
[/quote]

well it's only got four strings init gov :)

You've picked an absolutely lovely guitar to start out on! I'd say you should persevere with it - I played guitar for a couple of months before I made the jump to bass in my early teens, but in the last few years I've really worked on my guitar playing, mainly for songwriting purposes, although I've now ended up playing lead guitar in a function band for the last 6 months or so and I'm enjoying the challenge!

There's nothing but good can come from learning more about other instruments and how they work - even if you never play them outside your bedroom, you'll go away a better bassist with a better understanding and appreciation of your bandmates roles.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1351111391' post='1847591']
Was talking to the owner of my local shop today and someone apparently tried to return a bass a few weekaghast. The reason for returning it was because he thought it was just a guitar for beginners.......
[/quote]

That reminds me of Rick Wakeman's story about buying his first Minimoog. He got it secondhand and cheap off Jack Wild (the actor and original Artful Dodger) who sold it as not working. Apparently when Wakeman unpacked it and plugged it in it worked perfectly. Being an honest chap he rang Wild and told him that the synth was fine Wild replied 'well its no use to me it can only play one note at a time'.