Why become a member? ×

Cab and Amp covers

vmaxblues

Hi Guys,

Much as I love Roqsolid covers, Im looking at nearly £90 for two rain covers, and it got me to thinking, there must be a clever and cheaper alternative.

I've seen cardboard and gaffa tape, Ive seen converted tarps etc..

What are your thoughts?

Roqsolid do a good job and keep cabs in good nick so I think they are worth the money.
If you think cardboard will do ok..then as long as it lasts then its your choice.

I think covers earn their keep for when you come to sell the cabs...
I bought mine second-hand, gig them loads, and the cabs are still virtually mint.

job done...

Roqsolid = excellent

For small stuff that is infrequently used, or used in relatively benign conditions, I make cardboard covers. I use a large sheet of cardboard (like something that an AC30 would come delivered in) so that I can cut it out of one piece to make a slipover cover. The long sides (where the control panel and the speakers are) get covered with 2 layers of cardboard, and the whole lot is held together with parcel tape. Some of these covers have lasted for over 4 years now, and protected the kit from various knocks. I even have a little spreadsheet that calculates the cutout dimensions of the card for you if you tell it the WxHxD of the thing you're making the cover for. pm me if you want a copy.

Edited by musophilr

I've heard so many great things about Roqsolid, I can't afford them otherwise I'd get one despite them being very reasonable. My sister made me one from a shower curtain, yes it's basic but it does the job. It's never going to be up to the standard of a proper cover but it's a very cheap alternative.

Dan

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1350754470' post='1843151']
Mind you, the last two messages I left for Roqsolid remain unanswered, we're talking weeks too!

Oh well, I will remain optimistic and keep you all posted.
[/quote]

Happened to me too; turned out his hard disk had died. Give them a call, he was very apologetic and got mine sorted as soon as; once he knew. I was delayed a few weeks but honestly they are very well worth the wait.

I make things similar to this for F1 and GT race teams but they have extremely expendable income. Make some for my gear from time to time with spare fabrics and time etc. Honestly though, just took at look at their pricing and it's reasonable for the labour charges plus the materials they use. I know we charge £35 PH, each cover would take about 30 mins cut from pattern and the same to machine...When profit is considered you can already see the flat rate. :-)

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1350416955' post='1838640']
Hi Guys,

Much as I love Roqsolid covers, Im looking at nearly £90 for two rain covers, and it got me to thinking, there must be a clever and cheaper alternative.

I've seen cardboard and gaffa tape, Ive seen converted tarps etc..

What are your thoughts?
[/quote]

If its for the cabs in your sig, I'd get the ashdown covers. They're really well made. Would appear to be about 70 for a set - tho they sometimes come up in the soundslive clearance section for less

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1350417521' post='1838649']
....I think covers earn their keep for when you come to sell the cabs....
[/quote]

+1

I never used covers when I had cheaper cabs but now, with the more expensive cabs, I would buy the covers every time.

I like roqsolids and had two more made for my new GK rig early this year but at the same time our guitarist bought some speaker covers (about the same size as for my GKs) - and had a stand bag made - that are far better (padded etc - you could kip in the stand bag) and he reckoned they were a copper or two cheaper than what I paid for my roqsolids. I'll ask him what they were - although there is a possibility he might have been lying to show off and he really paid a fortune !!

I have a mate who went the gaffa and cardboard route. Just cut the bottom out of the box his marshall combo came in , made a hole for the handle , gaffa taped the edges then kept sticking old gaffa strips and stickers on it as they came available. After a while you could only see gaffa. His Marshall looked good as new for years.

Has anyone considered using Roqsolid covers? I have them and they are good.

:)

I recall someone reported using those blue tarp-material Ikea carrier bags as rain covers. Certainly cheap and are already vaguely cab shaped, I suppose.