Why become a member? ×

Wich bass/guitar for metal?!! Is it still a question?

Ghost_Bass

I got a message from a friend today with a link for this video. I must admit that i never was much in to Iron Maiden and only have one CD from them on my collection. The thing that caught my eye when waching the clip was their gear, i already knew that Steve Harris played a P but i never would have guessed the guitars being used:

[attachment=121201:Sem título.jpg]

I can clearly see Leo's work on that stage ;)

So the question is, if these guys can pull it off with Strats and a P is there any question left that any peace of gear is capable of playing almost any kind of music? Does a guitar need to be black and have pointy things to be "aproved for metal"?
I know this has all been discussed over the forum, i just wanted to leave you with this nice pic. If it takes a man to play a pink bass it takes a big man to play a sunburst Strat on a metal band :lol:

Cheers

Well I think it's fair to say their strats are geared for metal, they have Floyd rose locking trems and those crazy little Duncan mini buckers in them. I think it is fair to say that brands and genres don't correlate too much. Maybe some guitars are just more versatile than others? Strats, Teles, Les Pauls and SGs spring to mind here. But you don't see too much metal being played on things like 335s, Jags or Jazz Masters.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1350381349' post='1837969']
"Does a guitar need to be black and have pointy things to be "aproved for metal"?"

I'm not a great expert but of course it does - are you nuts!!!! :o

You could get poked with a pointy black thing for even questioning it! :ph34r: :shok:
[/quote]

:lol:

It's also worth noting that for earlier Iron Maiden stuff, the guitarists tended to be pictured toting Les Pauls and Explorers / Ibby Destroyers / whatever Jackson call that shape in fairly eye-scalding colours (along with matching spandex!)

Although I think RhysP makes a good point re Maiden being at the less extreme end of the metal spectrum, it does seem there has been a bit of a move of late away from ludicrously pointy/none more black guitars, at least in some areas of metal. Look at Mastodon, for example - not much in the way of ludicrous pointy things there. Even the dude from Slipknot's using Strats and Teles (albeit with EMGs in) these days.

Possibly worth mentioning that last time I saw Maiden (a couple of years ago), Adrian Smith was using a Les Paul and an SG as well as his Floyd/HH Jackson Strat. And I think Dave Murray's main Strat has a HH config, too.

Edited by richardjmorgan

the question here is what's important, cliched Metal 'fashion' or good music?

Maiden are without question THE Metal band, so whatever they use settles the argument right there.

Personally I'm more than happy with Fender Jazz in a 'stoner rock' band. Our guitarists use Vintage Flying V's, Squire strats, Gibson SG's...

If you play in Voivod or Slayer (who are both awesome), then pointy guitars are more important as the vibe and look go hand in hand, but for 99.9% of band it doesn't matter.

it has always amazed me how many people ask what the best guitar or bass for metal is. when i started, i didn't ask what the best bass for funk or classic rock was (that being what i play mostly). but i did my research and found out what my favourite artists played, and if i wanted to sound like them, i would have to adopt their playing style and have a similar instrument (nearly to an obbsessive level).

I think manufacturers who produce pointy guitars and basses forget about what the instrument is designed for. body shape is important for playing comfort, and i would never play anything pointy. i would much rather take a P or a J and mod it to sound gritty. but then again, i'm not a very look or public perception conscious person :P

And a body shape that suits one person doesn't always suit others. There are several well-known shapes (especially basses) that I find completely uncomfortable. Weird pointy shapes aren't always uncomfortable.

The best bass (or guitar) for metal is the one with the right image, a suitable sound and playability to suit you.

While not traditional "metal" both Ted Nugent and Alvin Lee play hard and heavy rock with semi-acoustic guitars.

[quote name='Chest Rockwell' timestamp='1350387292' post='1838046']
Maiden are without question THE Metal band, so whatever they use settles the argument right there. [/quote]

Whilst I tend to agree with most of what is being said by all posters here, I would strongly disagree with the above. I love Maiden, but they're not metal - even less THE metal band - they're hard rock, with what I'd call an added, intentional pub rock vibe.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1350389926' post='1838105']
And a body shape that suits one person doesn't always suit others. There are several well-known shapes (especially basses) that I find completely uncomfortable. Weird pointy shapes aren't always uncomfortable.
[/quote]

This.
The two most uncomfortable guitar shapes I've ever played are Strats & Les Pauls.
My Hamer USA Standard (explorer shaped) however, was incredibly comfortable.

Played one of these and loved the sound but the body shape made it very uncomfortable and a no go for live playing:

BTW, i pulled this pic from google but i believe it comes from somewere within BassChat ;)
(edit: and the one i've tried wasn't a lefty, :lol: )

I think BRX nails it right here:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1350389926' post='1838105']

The best bass (or guitar) for metal is the one with the right image, a suitable sound and playability to suit you.

While not traditional "metal" both Ted Nugent and Alvin Lee play hard and heavy rock with semi-acoustic guitars.
[/quote]

Edited by Ghost_Bass

I find the condescending tone of the 'look at these idiot kids looking for advice on playing music type X' on the 'other site' very annoying, as the people slamming the predominantly teenage questioners are usually the first to start threads along the lines of:

1. 'is a Sadowsky better than a Fodera when it comes to double thumb technique?'
2. 'which amp has the best 'flat tone?'.
3. 'How does [insert well known or semi-established session player's name] get his/her tone?'
4. 'Man, I have mega GAS for something I saw a picture of from NAMM!'

Frankly, every instrument or amp should be able to play any kind of music. Its just that people often listen with their eyes or feel that a product has to be specifically designed/marketed with a particular type of music in mind before its use in certain genres is acceptable.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1350390979' post='1838124']
Whilst I tend to agree with most of what is being said by all posters here, I would strongly disagree with the above. I love Maiden, but they're not metal - even less THE metal band - they're hard rock, with what I'd call an added, intentional pub rock vibe.
[/quote]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHA!!!! :lol:

That's gotta be the best, though obvious, trolling I've experienced in a while. Good work!! :gas:

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1350403286' post='1838347']
Btw, didn't the guitarist from Voivod use Born 2 Rock guitars?
[/quote]

Yes he did - he's on the Born To Rock [url=http://borntorock.com/gallery.html]Artist page[/url].

Does that make this...

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC02174.jpg[/IMG]

the best bass for metal?

The best bass for metal is whatever gives you your sound.

And if its important to you, whichever you as a metal player think looks coolest on stage!

Obviously certain instruments are made to look the part, and built with high output electronics to make it easier to get the right sound... But you could probably get away with anything within reason! I've seen Ziltoid The Omniscient rocking a pink Hello Kitty guitar ;)

i use this for metal!!! its pretty good, great tone but heavy.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:88071]

as for the best metal for bass..........hmmmm...... something melodic......maybe a bit proggy so you can be creative as a player (not too much though)...... and something fast that you can drive the rhythm sections.