Why become a member? ×

Stoopid truss rods.

Evil Undead

Or maybe stoopid me.

I've had this problem on so many basses that I've owned, so it's either really rotten luck or I'm doing something wrong. I'm hoping the latter - I suspected the rod was maxed on my Delicia and it was, but I had the same suspicion on my Warwick and was told by the guy who bought it that it was fine. So it's quite likely to be me :D

I changed my strings yesterday from Elixirs to Chromes, and thought I should tweak the truss rod to compensate for the extra tension. Turned clockwise about 1/8 of a turn and then nothing. Won't budge any more.

Damn. So I strung it up with Chromes and tuned up - the action is great and the relief is perfect (I like 0.1mm) - but I'm slightly concerned about what happens in the future (will the relief increase by itself, in time or with the weather, etc?)

I don't understand how I can have this issue with so many basses that I've owned :(

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1350234227' post='1836092']
I hope this makes sense, but you might get a bit more play in your rod doing it.
[/quote]
(trying to resist a double entendre but its soooooooooooo difficult)

Truss rods are a bugger. I only fiddle with them if i really have to and always feel really scared when doing it.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1350234709' post='1836095']Truss rods are a bugger. I only fiddle with them if i really have to and always feel really scared when doing it.[/quote]

I've seen at least three guitars/basses which I can remember distinctly, with a split in the middle back of the neck where someone thought they knew what they were doing with the truss rod.
Which is in NO way any kind of comment on any posters so far in this thread.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1350235715' post='1836119']
There's nowt like putting new strings on and getting the neck just right with a little tweak, makes me feel like a pro!

[/quote]

You're so right. Now that i have the confidence i do exactly as you have said. Especially when changing the gauge of string. I have my necks where i want them and a little tweak can make a big difference. Still scares me though.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1350239867' post='1836226']
It a shame that you didn't add something constructive to the OP instead.[/quote]

If you and the OP check back I did; I wrote that for the unknowing, which could be any casual reader of this thread, going at a truss rod without being totally sure of what they're doing can lead to irrepairable damage.
I know, to different degrees, or have known, 4 top flight luthiers. All of them would agree with that - it's common sense. At least some of them would also warn against adding washers to a truss rod apart from IF it was to repair previous damage to the area which has meant that the truss rod nut isn't performing as it should. On a good condition neck adding washers to a rod is obviously bypassing a problem elsewhere, it may be a common practise but it doesn't make it right.
The other thing to bear in mind is that adjusting a truss rod isn't an instantaneous thing, each tweak should be left a few hours for it's effect to be seen, sometimes next day. Again, others views may vary, but as I say, I've seen the damage caused by twisting rods without taking your time.

The OP is asking for advice, therefore is not comfortable with their attempts so far, I wouldn't be giving advice which is push your luck a bit further, unless the offers of such advice are offering compensation for their advice should it go wrong.
I store my guitars how they should be because I take the advice of John Birch (RIP) and John Diggins who told me what they thought.
IF I ever tweak my necks I follow the advice given by guys who make their entire living from fixing guitars and doing set-ups not "some bloke off You-tube".
Anything electrical I know how far I can go happily, any further & there's numbers in my phone of guys I trust.

There is no shame is asking a pro to have a look, & while you're at it ask them if you can be there to learn while they do it.

Edited by Big_Stu

Just a couple of points, and I feel a little nervous telling you to do this - so be careful.

When straightening the neck with the truss rod - it helps to (very very gently) aid the truss rod adjustment by gripping the body and holding back on the tip of the headstock very slightly to take the strain whilst tightening.

Also, have you tried leaving it for a day or two and then gently check again to see if it still feels maxed out?

The point made by the poster above about taking it to a reputable luthier is a good suggestion, given the problems you've had.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[sup]I'm sure a lot of people have seen this before but its woth posting again. Its a link to Jerzy Drozds bass guide that I have found really useful for doing full bass set-ups and not just truss rods.[/sup]

[url="http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54jdhrei567/Ultimate_Guide_ver100.pdf"][sup]http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54jdhrei567/Ultimate_Guide_ver100.pdf[/sup][/url]

The Jerzy Drozd guide is fantastic.

Hopefully this thread has sorted itself out now, good to see, I'm also going to move this over to the 'Repairs' section, just because it may have more focused attention there.
I've also 'tidied' the thread to make more relevent to the OP.

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1350291277' post='1836753']
[sup]I'm sure a lot of people have seen this before but its woth posting again. Its a link to Jerzy Drozds bass guide that I have found really useful for doing full bass set-ups and not just truss rods.[/sup]

[url="http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54jdhrei567/Ultimate_Guide_ver100.pdf"][sup]http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54jdhrei567/Ultimate_Guide_ver100.pdf[/sup][/url]
[/quote]

I'm quite good at setups already, but I just get a bit nervous around truss rods.

This is a great guide though - do you happen to have a version I can save to my hard drive for future reference?

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1350324546' post='1837355']
do you happen to have a version I can save to my hard drive for future reference?[/quote]

That version [b]can[/b] be saved. If you have trouble saving it, you could try another computer or another pdf reader.

best,
bert

I bust mine and had to replace it myself because it wasn't cost effective to get some one else to do it for me (cheap but beloved bass). Was a long and tortured process. I would suggest if in doubt ask an expert to do it for you or at least show you.