Why become a member? ×

When is it time to hire a crew?

TimR

I read on another thread that someone had become tired of doing gigs because of the hassle of turning up early, setting up, disappearing for 5hours, then reappearing near midnight, playing to a half empty floor, packing down and getting home a 3am to unload.

Ok so, the wedding & function band route is very lucrative and probably a young man's game. So at what price point/age do you sub out all the set up and pack down and save your back and fingers for playing and get home afterwards for some proper sleep.

Or do you just keep going until one Saturday afternoon you look at your amp, feel your back and think I really don't want to put that in my car ever again!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1350158281' post='1835367']
Or do you just keep going until one Saturday afternoon you look at your amp, feel your back and think I really don't want to put that in my car ever again!
[/quote]

That time is called neodymium time ;)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1350158281' post='1835367']
Ok so, the wedding & function band route is very lucrative and probably a young man's game.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say that. The best wedding and function bands round here have all been together for years! And having worked for four years in a hotel, I saw just about every function band going round here.

When is it time to hire a crew? When you're getting the gigs that pay for them. The most 'big time' band I saw play at the hotel was a serious outfit. I can't remember their name (they weren't that good), but the stage setup was immense. They turned the back of a function suite into a stage. A backdrop, a lighting rig that covered the whole stage, the bassist had a Fodera Emperor and a Genz Benz rig.

Ha ha! I had this very same conversation at the end of a gig last night. Five hours elapsed time from going out to getting home for one hour of playing. I suspect that it's always been the case for musicians. The time spent playing is the tip of the iceberg in respect of the time spent setting up and taking down. At least we have the opportunity to use cars. Once upon a time we would have been vagabond minstrels walking from town to town.

5 hours? Luxury!

I know this is a long time ago, but many times I've been picked up by the van at 9 am to drive to some wet, cold and very distant place up north. Do the gig and drive home just in time to get into the next mornings rush hour traffic on the M1 coming into London.

If you were dropped off before 10 am you'd be one of the lucky ones!

Hey Len, did you ever play Clouds in Derby?

I depped a few weeks ago - left the house at 3pm and got home at 3.30am.

Over the years I have purposely made sure that my gear can be moved in the fewest trips possible. 2 with my current setup.

I enjoy playing and I enjoy the money that you make from it so it would boil down to - would I want to give £xx to someone to do it for me when I've been used to doing it my whole adult playing career or keep all of the money for myself? I think it would have to be really big gigs with really big money or really terrible load ins with a lot of gear before I'd consider it.

To me its part of the gig, its what gives me the initial adrenalin rush before the gig

When someone else is paying for them. We get venues with a crew sometimes.... but if I use my gear, I generally have to move it to the stage.
and the trade off is that I am travelling without lights and P.A type gear so it isn't that big a deal either way.

The biggest hassle is load out through people who don't want to go home

I love loading in and setting. Part and parcel of being in a working band! I wish I could hire someone to pack down and drive me home though!

But yeah I'd say get some roadies when you have space in the vans for some and when you can afford them and still pocket decent cash yourself.

Truckstop

Love doing dep work,I have my mark bass 4x10, my LMT head and rack tuner in a case and a case for leads and pedals and my bass in a soft case on my back. All goes on a hand truck one trip my car to gig. In saying that I don't do many dep gigs these days. Normal load takes about 45 mins from van door opening to starting the gig.i love everything about gigging and wonder is it mad that after 20 years I still love it from start to finish set up included.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1350177806' post='1835562']
5 hours? Luxury!

I know this is a long time ago, but many times I've been picked up by the van at 9 am to drive to some wet, cold and very distant place up north. Do the gig and drive home just in time to get into the next mornings rush hour traffic on the M1 coming into London.

If you were dropped off before 10 am you'd be one of the lucky ones!

Hey Len, did you ever play Clouds in Derby?
[/quote]

Clouds! Yes, what a place that was.
I know 5 hours isn't a big deal, but the pub we played at was 4 miles out of the town we all live in!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1350210821' post='1835745']

The biggest hassle is load out through people who don't want to go home
[/quote]

True, but at one of the places we play at the locals know that the landlord will keep serving until we've cleared up and gone!

I can now do the load in for my gear in one trip. I guess the real thoughts behind my op was that it stops being fun when other band mates take the fun out of it.

When you're carrying other gear, setting up lights and PA and they either haven't arrived or have gone straight to the bar.

Then again at the end when they disappear leaving you to do it all again.

In my latest band there is none of that so I was just wondering whether it was really time to pack it in or whether it was just time to change bands like it was for me. A change is as good as a rest.

I don't mind moving my own gear on principle, but I've developed tennis elbow in my left arm and am for now limited in what I can shift.

Does anyone else have a SYSTEM for get-ins that ensures there is always one band member in the venue, one with the van (or cars) and others moving in between with gear at any one time?

Years ago I was singin in a four piece band, we had a fifth member(the roadie) everything was split 5 ways and he was happy. We helped him set up and lug etc, but it was ultimately his responsibility to sort the gear and the sound out. It worked really well we paid for the fuel etc. if you can find someone to come in on a deal like that I would highly recommend it. One major drawback is that every gig becomes a piss up for the rest of the band.

when your fee covers enough to pay you a few quid and cover the £80-100 for the pa man/hire/lights etc.

We used to do it all the time in one of my old bands - used the same chap each time didn't need a sound check (he was great, PA was great, lights monitors mics the lot for £80) I used to turn up 1/2 hour before the gig tune up and play and was out the door 1/2 hour after it finished - awesome!