Why become a member? ×

Our Helical Mind - New video, new record, new tour!

pantherairsoft

I've been busy!!

This evening I (we) have released a new video. I've been a musician for 13 years and this is the 1st thing I have a real sense of pride over. Most folks know I have a mild obsession for effects pedals and that the music I play is effects heavy. My band has done well on the local scene but struggled to branch out as people just don't 'get it' until they see it. Due to this, a year ago we set out to write a track which was characteristically 'us' but REALLY pushed the boundaries of what we could perform live in our usual style (no samples, loops, sequencers, laptops, keyboard synths etc) - Something that could be recorded live and then performed live and sound identical with no over dubs in the studio.

We also set to record a video which was professional but also suited the track and showed off the live aspect of what we did. The track we produced is called Synthetiks... (please, please, please listen with headphone or on a stereo - theres lots happening below the frequency response of laptop speakers!).

[media]http://youtu.be/hG940DEAazQ[/media]

That track was recorded with a single drum take and a single bass take and then the video was done over night in the studio. We play that tune live exactly like that and everything you hear that is not a drum beat is from myself.

The thing that makes me feel really proud about it is that we have been able to put together an 11 track album (digital pre orders here - [url="http://ourhelicalmind.bandcamp.com/album/synthetiks-the-versions"]http://ourhelicalmin...ks-the-versions[/url], released 15th) which contains that tune plus 10 re-workings of the tune all done by musicians and producers we really love and respect. People that were excited to take time out of their schedules to produce a new track inspired by the music we had written. The contributors run as far an wide as Waatu (Canadian HipHop producer) to Men Imitating Machines (Australian live Dubstep duo) to Djevara (London prog-noise crew) to Basschat's very own Sibob!!! (and loads more as well!).

I always dreamt of creating a truly international collaboration and finally at the age of 30, I have :)

We are following this up with a 10 day European tour starting on the 19th (so I'll be away for 10 days from then) and it looks like we have a few Electronica-based clinics coming up at colleges and the like later this year. Exciting times.

I hope you like the track.

Thanks (as always) to the BC crew for being so awesome, and to Si for his hard work on contributing to the record.

Really cool! Liked it! Good to hear something different. Them pedals must have cost a few pence and i thought Alice Cooper was drumming til it when close up. Good drummer too. I have a friend who is in a group that's similar but totally different. Just drums, gtrs and lots of pedals but they are dance pop. Check em out at www.hotbeatrepeat.co.uk.

Hope you get more comments than the track i recently put on this forum! ha ha

But once again.. really good...class!

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1349647164' post='1828776']
superb Shep. Love the track. You are an inspiration mate.
[/quote]

Thank you dude. Thats a compliment of the highest caliber!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1349647661' post='1828781']
Really cool! Liked it! Good to hear something different. Them pedals must have cost a few pence and i thought Alice Cooper was drumming til it when close up. Good drummer too. I have a friend who is in a group that's similar but totally different. Just drums, gtrs and lots of pedals but they are dance pop. Check em out at www.hotbeatrepeat.co.uk.

Hope you get more comments than the track i recently put on this forum! ha ha

But once again.. really good...class!
[/quote]

There is a couple of pence in my pedal set up... :) Thanks for the kind words... I'll add that link to tomorrows playlist as well! Always interested to hear electronic-styled music done on real instruments!!

Tom (drummer) is badass and would prob appreciate the Alice Cooper comment!!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1349647690' post='1828783']
Great video Shep! A real treat for all the gear junkies ;) And I really enjoyed the song too!
[/quote]

Thanks dude!

Holy **** this is GREAT! [i]Very[/i] impressive and just my cup of tea.

Amazing how you create that sound. I assume it's some kind of MIDI voodoo and the fact you have a pedalboard the size of Nebraska?! ;) Awesome stuff. Your drummer is super-tight too.

I know I missed you guys last time you played near Manchester, but give us a shout next time you're in the neighbourhood as I'd be really keen to see you live.

Enjoy the tour!

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1349652229' post='1828820']
Holy **** this is GREAT! [i]Very[/i] impressive and just my cup of tea.

Amazing how you create that sound. I assume it's some kind of MIDI voodoo and the fact you have a pedalboard the size of Nebraska?! ;) Awesome stuff. Your drummer is super-tight too.

I know I missed you guys last time you played near Manchester, but give us a shout next time you're in the neighbourhood as I'd be really keen to see you live.

Enjoy the tour!
[/quote]

Thank you dude! Appreciate it.

Our big selling point is that we do this stuff in an analog (ish) fashion so all our stuff is recorded exactly as we play it live with no over dubs. We use no loops, samplers, sequencers and the only midi involved is a time clock to make my tremolos run in time with the track speed.

All the sounds are created from drums and bass guitar though effects pedals... So it's from lots an lots of time playing with pedals creating sounds and textures! :)

Really glad you like it! Am hoping to be back in Bolton before the end of the year... Maybe Manchester too! :)

Shep, your ear for tone is beyond good. That is some of the best sounding bass synth stuff i've ever heard, smooth yet very defined and clear. The drums around the 2:40 mark remind me quite a bit of Firestarter by The Prodigy, which isn't a bad thing, and i like the simplicity of the video, it works well with the track and overall feel.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1349725477' post='1829751']
Shep, your ear for tone is beyond good. That is some of the best sounding bass synth stuff i've ever heard, smooth yet very defined and clear. The drums around the 2:40 mark remind me quite a bit of Firestarter by The Prodigy, which isn't a bad thing, and i like the simplicity of the video, it works well with the track and overall feel.

Liam
[/quote]

Thanks dude! Very kind comments! You'll make me blush.

I've spent ALOT of time laying sounds to create different textures and using modulations with very abrasive sounds to create real synth like textures. This tune has quite a lot going off but the core sound is down to 3 pedals plus an octave down in parallel (plus a few small extras :)).

The drums reference is one I had not heard myself... but not you've mentioned it thats going to stick in my heard!! There was a track from our first EP (called 'Neon Tangerine') that lots of people compared to The Prodigy. I consider that a pretty big compliment :) The aim of the video was to battle something we have a problem with - people not 'getting it' until they see it. We get lots of comments from promoters like "we have DJ's to do that stuff", but once they see us live everyone really digs it. Hopefully this will open more peoples eyes! This single is particularly good for it as it sounds exactly the same when we play it live as nothing was added, layered or overdubbed in the studio. One take wonders (we 6 or 7 takes to get one bang on... but a 'single' take start to finish :)).

Brilliant mate! Great tune, great performance, great vid! I really enjoyed it, and you should be very proud of it!

I really admire the amount of time and effort you've put into your sounds, they are so well crafted and balanced. You've got a great ear. Love your drummer too, you have the perfect musical partnership. Good luck for your tour.

Edited by silddx

Thanks silddx, appreciate your comments, makes me quite proud to get compliments about 'my ear', which is something I've always felt I had, but in doing something a little different that most people hear as 'noise' I've never been so sure!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1350429523' post='1838927']
Is that really what Shep wants to hear? :lol:
[/quote]

"Our Helical Mind - Music For Your Parents"

That's the next album name sorted then! :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1350467218' post='1839141']
Thanks silddx, appreciate your comments, makes me quite proud to get compliments about 'my ear', which is something I've always felt I had, but in doing something a little different that most people hear as 'noise' I've never been so sure!
[/quote]

Be assured mate, you are fully proper! :)