Why become a member? ×

Audition Cancelled / Force Majeure ....

BassPimp66

OK, the story is as follow. I hook up with a group of musicians and for couple of weeks we tried to put a date in the calendar to audition me. After a few attempts, we locked a slot. The evening before I confirmed I would be attending the audition on the next day. Then, I got a call from my pregnant wife who told me she was going early into to labor. I spent a sleepless night at the hospital and witnessed the birth of my baby girl in the early hours of the morning. While my looking after my wife, I called the guy I arranged the audition with to cancel, explaining the Force Majeure.
Now, it's been a week and they are ignoring my attempts to reconnect and put a new date in the calendar.
I think I've been marked as unreliable... come on!
Anyone with similar experiences?

Edited by BassPimp66

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1349280282' post='1824227']
OK, the story is as follow. I hook up with a group of musicians and for couple of weeks we tried to put a date in the calendar to audition me. After a few attempts, we locked a slot. The evening before I confirmed I would be attending the audition on the next day. Then, I got a call from my pregnant wife who told me she was going early into to labor. I spent a sleepless night at the hospital and witnessed the birth of my baby girl in the early hours of the morning. While my looking after my wife, I called the guy I arranged the audition with to cancel, explaining the Force Majeure.
Now, it's been a week and they are ignoring my attempts to reconnect and put a new date in the calendar.
[/quote]

In a miraculous burst of fertility, the singer/keyboard player, the drummer, the accordian player, and the guitarist, in my band (or their partners), all had babies within 2 months of one another this spring/summer). The band haven't had a rehearsal or a band practice since the births. I have the feeling that the band you want to audition with will be under the impression that you will have other more important priorities than band practice now that your baby has arrived.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1349280513' post='1824234']
Well I wouldnt want to work with them if thats their attitude - and major congrats to you all!
[/quote]

Agreed. You're now going to get unplanned, unpredictable calls on your time for the next couple of decades. If that lot aren't sympathetic, walk away now. It'll avoid tears in the future.
Many congratulations. Being a parent is about the best job a human can do.

[/quote]

Have to say that if that is how they react to your very good mitigating circumstances..I think you are best rid of them. That is not to say they haven't been looking/talking to others, tho, as well....?????

Better to have found this out now...... they don't sound a good bet to me, on the face of it.

Enjoy your new arrival and Congrats

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1349281265' post='1824261']
In a miraculous burst of fertility, the singer/keyboard player, the drummer, the accordian player, and the guitarist, in my band (or their partners), all had babies within 2 months of one another this spring/summer).
[/quote]

You have to stop playing Power Rock Ballads. They are getting all the girls knocked-up... :o

Perhaps you have been marked as unreliable, which given the circumstances is unfair, but also a little understandable that strangers might conclude this

However, ignoring you is unacceptable, and if they think your not the man, for whatever reason, rightly or wrongly, they should at least let you know where you stand

Had to cancel a dress rehearsal tuesday,mother inlaw 76 years very old, taken into hospital, me man flu,felt really bad phoning round,rescheduled for Friday,still got hate mail from the new singer ,to the effect would you drop out if it was a gig? :angry:
edit,I own the 1200 wat PA and the lights,all he has is a mic... :o

Edited by merlin

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1349294631' post='1824483']
Had to cancel a dress rehearsal tuesday,mother inlaw 76 years very old, taken into hospital, me man flu,felt really bad phoning round,rescheduled for Friday,still got hate mail from the new singer ,to the effect would you drop out if it was a gig? :angry:
edit,I own the 1200 wat PA and the lights,all he has is a mic... :o
[/quote]

ha ha ...good start by new singer. Would have found it hard to bite my lip, tbh

IMHO, and this is only my opinion, my familes health and my health come before anything, so if you're being canned for having a baby (congrats :)) or for family members having medical emergencies then your band mates need to be a little more human :)

[/quote]
screw them - theyve obviously got no sense of priorities and cant see further than the end of their noses

congrats on the new arrival and hope another band comes your way soon

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1349281265' post='1824261']
In a miraculous burst of fertility, the singer/keyboard player, the drummer, the accordian player, and the guitarist, in my band (or their partners), all had babies within 2 months of one another this spring/summer). The band haven't had a rehearsal or a band practice since the births. I have the feeling that the band you want to audition with will be under the impression that you will have other more important priorities than band practice now that your baby has arrived.
[/quote]Were they not aware of the impending bundle of joy?

Congrats anyway. Now the fun starts. Still 23 years and a lot of money later you'll still be trying to get her out of the house, or worrying about Lurch who comes round to pick her up every night. :lol: Enjoy.

Weekend before last noth memeber sof my band were incapacitated with what anyone in their right mind's would consider unavoidable/accidental painful nastiness of the hospital type.

What can you do, life happens, we cancelled the planned rehearsal (will take the knock on the chin since we were too late not to) and we wil carry on this Sunday. Whats the big deal? I wont even let them cover the cost of last week without chipping in my part, after all in a couple of weeks time I may be in the same situation as them, and if I dont chip in now I cnat expect them to then, and its only a 3 piece!

These idiots you've met are far too short sighted to get anywhere!