Why become a member? ×

MIM v's MIA P Bass

Guest gazzatriumph

I have a '96 MIM coming next week courtesy of here. I've owned a 76, had the pleasure of playing a 67 and I've tried MIJ genuine and copies, plus a whole host of copies. Can't comment on the MIM till it gets here, but I genuinley prefer my 70's MIJ Maya copy over the '76 I owned, reminds me of my mates old 67. Tried a Musicman and hated it.

A great bass player will get a good sound out of a cheap set-up, whereas it doesnt matter how much cash you throw about a c*** one will still sound c***. Sure I'd likje a late 70's P again, but thats a mixture of nostalgia and "Label Blindness". Probably rather have a couple of Greco's or Tokai Hardpunchers for the same money. It's about what youre comfortable with. Not "I spent a thousand on a bass so I'm superior to you, and you only say different because you're jealous that you cant afford it"

Arguing about which Fender is better than which has always struck me as being a bit like arguing about who's Ford Transit is the best. It's just a tool with a specific task and as long as it reliably gets you and stuff from A to B, it matters not where it was built or if it has electric windows and a nice stereo..

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1349555091' post='1827788']
Arguing about which Fender is better than which has always struck me as being a bit like arguing about who's Ford Transit is the best. It's just a tool with a specific task and as long as it reliably gets you and stuff from A to B, it matters not where it was built or if it has electric windows and a nice stereo..
[/quote]

The ones that are made in Southampton are much better than the ones made in Turkey.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1349555091' post='1827788']
[/quote]

Clearly the words of a man who has never been in my Transit van.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1349623134' post='1828371']
Clearly the words of a man who has never been in my Transit van.
[/quote]
I didn't realise Transits could reliably get from A to B either. Transporter Syncro is where its at :P

IME a good MIM is a fine bass. Sound wise they hold up well against the majority of instruments in the same price bracket. On occasion there can be some slight construction flaws but nothing too serious. Despite the differences between the two, at the end of the day the punters will rarely notice. If I were a noob bassist starting out with a new band I'd stick the price difference on a good sound system or transport (the joy of hindsight).

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1349627006' post='1828423']
I didn't realise Transits could reliably get from A to B either. Transporter Syncro is where its at :P

IME a good MIM is a fine bass. Sound wise they hold up well against the majority of instruments in the same price bracket. On occasion there can be some slight construction flaws but nothing too serious. Despite the differences between the two, at the end of the day the punters will rarely notice. If I were a noob bassist starting out with a new band I'd stick the price difference on a good sound system or transport (the joy of hindsight).
[/quote]

What are you implying? My Transit is a magnificent beast!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,
I have owned several different MIM and MIA Fender P basses and one fretless MIM jazz and the MIM basses were the best. The MIA P bass was just not as sweet to play.
I couldn't discern that much between the tone, but as for the neck - the playability was far superior on the MIM.
I bought a MIM P 50s reissue with the anodized pickguard for a total steal on ebay and it was a gem!! My 15 yr old son informed me he was buying it from me last Christmas after telling me that the new MIA P bass in the shop he had tried was crap compared to it. He has been playing since he was seven, and is now in the regional schools orchestra playing double bass and doing GCSE bass guitar so who am I to argue....? Not worth it.
Don't believe the hype about the MIA dream, it's all personal taste and MIM is definitely worth a try. Set it up, put good strings on it and play it through a good amp. There's not a huge difference to the amateur ear, fair bit to the wallet.

I played one of the MIM 50s Precisions yesterday - I used to have one, but had forgotten just how good it was. It seemed to have an aggression on the sound that just, well was just sweet, yet if you played softly, it had a nice round thump to it. I`m really gonna have to resist going and buying one.