Why become a member? ×

MIM v's MIA P Bass

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1349463872' post='1826774']
Your guitars should come from the US of A.

[/quote]

I have been in love with my Jaydee for over 25year and want a Wal!

Unfortunately you're pretty much right though. I resent liking Stingrays and using one all the time.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1349462925' post='1826746']
The big thing though is ........ there is THAT Precision sound which cannot be replicated. It's most noticeable (to me) on the low G note. A sort of thud with a burble, which, if the sound could be translated into English........ would say "rock'n'roll".

Accept no substitute. [u]Nothing [/u]even comes closes. Fender MIA Precision. Strap on. Rock.
[/quote]

I'm afraid I disagree - the 2band Stingray with the EQ boosted extends those drivers far better than a P bass (ie old school thump), no matter which continent was its origin.

I'm curious about two things:-

Firstly pick ups - what is the difference between a MIA pick up and a MIM one - surely they're to the same spec anyway in terms of material and winding - why wouldn't they be - it doesn't really make sense. What difference is a 'vintage custom pick up' - does it make much difference?

Secondly - I take the point for solid colours that MIM may have more body pieces than MIA (though I don't buy the fact that MIA have only two). But for trans such as sunburst, how do you hide the grain joints?? I would doubt this is possible without a veneer and they don't seem to have that.

Just curious.

Edited by drTStingray

I don`t buy all this because it`s made in a certain place it makes it the dog dangallies nonsense.

If you buy a bass and like the thing it makes absolutley no differance the country of manufacture. A few years ago I bought a Jap P bass and wasn`t blown away with it and the same goes for the 2 US P basses I have owned.

And no French birds either. Hairy armpits-need i say more?

This should be a sticky topic really. This topic comes up as regularly as Jimmy Saville's pecker in a room full of schoolies. This is how they usually go.

Somebody asks what's this about MIA Precisions. Someone else says they're pukka followed by a load of hard up people with MIM or MIJ Fenders who pretend they once had an MIA but it wasn't as good as their cheaper thing.

Then someone comes along and says a load of tripe followed by the word Sadowsky and then somebody says Yamaha and someone with questionable judgement then claims that having fretwire flowing in the wrong direction on a bass with a P bass pickguard is in some way good.

It's quite entertaining.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1349472166' post='1826956']

Somebody asks what's this about MIA Precisions. Someone else says they're pukka followed by a load of hard up people with MIM or MIJ Fenders who pretend they once had an MIA but it wasn't as good as their cheaper thing.
[/quote]
Yes,that's obviously the reason why people recommend non US Fenders <_<
Despite having a lot of nice basses (inc. Warwick,Shuker,Roscoe,Pre-Nashville Tobias) two of my hardest working
(and favourite)instruments are my Japanese Fender Jazz and my Mexican Fender Jazz Deluxe V. Being 'hard up'
has absolutely nothing to do with.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349473359' post='1826973']
Yes,that's obviously the reason why people recommend non US Fenders <_<
Despite having a lot of nice basses (inc. Warwick,Shuker,Roscoe,Pre-Nashville Tobias) two of my hardest working
(and favourite)instruments are my Japanese Fender Jazz and my Mexican Fender Jazz Deluxe V. Being 'hard up'
has absolutely nothing to do with.
[/quote]

Think how happy you'd be if they were MIA!

The brand strategy of companies like Fender and Musicman is pretty straightforward - those buying in at the entry level aspire to the more expensive version, those who buy the middle range one do the same - so they sell more equipment and cultivate brand loyalty - if they can back up with a good product and service. It's similar with cars and lots of other brands - of course some people buy a basic Mini or Hyundai and never want to upgrade to something more expensive.

I think the problem musical instrument makers have is building in enough differential between the different level of product to justify the vast ranges in price.

My questions about Fender pick ups were bona fide - I don't know the technical differences but hear people talking about noiseless cobalt, vintage custom etc etc and suggesting you need to swap the pick ups out of an MIM. I know this is part of the genral culture with Fenders but modding is much less prevalent with the main brand I know (Musicman) so I'm curious about the culture - reminds me of the after market for car modifications/go faster equipment.

I can't speak for MIM's or MIJ's or CIJ's or whatever, even other MIA's as I've only ever played two Fenders, both MIA.

The first MIA I played was a 60th Anniversary P in a shop, I loved it, sounded awesome and the build quality was excellent, but I didn't like the way the shop had set it up. Plus I couldn't afford the £1400 they were asking.

The second was my own, which is the best feeling, playing and sounded bass I ever touched. IMO of course.

So for me, I bought an MIA Fender, and I'm done.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1349512566' post='1827150']
Edit: Arrrghh what's the point, I've lost the will..... ;) :P

As long as you're happy with your basses.
[/quote]

You're not being very helpful to someone seeking info - there must be some difference in the pick ups - or maybe there isn't?

But ultimately you're right - it's as simple as that.

Edited by drTStingray

To be serious for a moment for the OP ............. the point I am making is ......... it really depends what floats your boat. Bass ownership is a very personal thing. To me, it's string thru MIA Ps. To other people, it's another bass or lots of different basses.

You need to find [u]your[/u] bass. I suspect, if you're asking about MIMs (or for that matter MIJs) vs MIA P basses, then you do indeed need to own a MIA, for at least a bit, and see what you think. Does it have that extra bit of sound/feel/mojo for the extra money? You can pick up an MIA P for between £500 and £600 on here ..... and you won't lose much at all if you resell it on here. Not a great deal of a jump from a MIM or MIJ.

Maybe, you'll not get it and you'll sell it on and recoup the money? Maybe, like me, you'll fall in love and nothing else will do.

I say try to find the extra cash from somewhere and own an MIA P bass for a while.

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1349520197' post='1827256']
You're not being very helpful to someone seeking info - there must be some difference in the pick ups - or maybe there isn't?

But ultimately you're right - it's as simple as that.
[/quote]

I posted (#65) a reply to a number of posts on here that, with hindsight I maybe took too seriously. Plus my replies maybe could have been taken as a bit confrontational.... so I deleted them soon after posting.

However I still stand by my original post (#11), forget where the bass is made and just try as many as possible.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1349528142' post='1827378']
You need to find [u]your[/u] bass. I suspect, if you're asking about MIMs (or for that matter MIJs) vs MIA P basses, then you do indeed need to own a MIA, for at least a bit, and see what you think. Does it have that extra bit of sound/feel/mojo for the extra money? You can pick up an MIA P for between £500 and £600 on here ..... and you won't lose much at all if you resell it on here. Not a great deal of a jump from a MIM or MIJ.
[/quote]

This is where I disagree....I don't think that you need to own a US made Fender to see if you like it. Ultimately,it doesn't matter
if the American,Japanese,Mexican,Korean or what(although I'm guessing to some people it must be a big thing)-they are all
Fenders.
Personally,I'd never by a bass just to see what I think.I can normally tell within a couple of minutes if I like an instrument or not,so
if it doesn't grab me I'm not going to spend the money with the thought of selling it if I don't like it later.
Like I said earlier,one of the nicest Precision's I've tried for a while has been a Squier Classic Vibe. Sod what it says on the headstock,
it played and sounded great.

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349531862' post='1827441']
This is where I disagree....I don't think that you need to own a US made Fender to see if you like it. Ultimately,it doesn't matter
if the American,Japanese,Mexican,Korean or what(although I'm guessing to some people it must be a big thing)-they are all
Fenders.
Personally,I'd never by a bass just to see what I think.I can normally tell within a couple of minutes if I like an instrument or not,so
if it doesn't grab me I'm not going to spend the money with the thought of selling it if I don't like it later.
Like I said earlier,one of the nicest Precision's I've tried for a while has been a Squier Classic Vibe. Sod what it says on the headstock,
it played and sounded great.
[/quote]

I thought I needed to have a MIA P, after trying one I now know Im satisfied with what I have got, I didnt realise so many people would get irrate about this subject, I just wanted some opinions, I now know the only way to find out is to try em out. I knew in the first 5 mins of trying the MIA P out I was not going to buy one. Thanks again for the replies now Calm Down and Carry On Playing :)