Why become a member? ×

bassist stereotype - which one are you?

lowdowner

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1348690820' post='1817059']
Bass guitar players are (according to the stereotype) intelligent, introverted, deep thinkers, that don't make eye contact and prefer the dark to the light (night to the day).

What do you reckon - do you fit this stereotype. Do you think there *are* any common behaviours/character-traits for bass players or is it all bunkum?
[/quote]

I hate stereotyping. The people that tend do it are all the same.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1348740111' post='1817508']
Bin those shades and get some large Ray Ban Aviators. Cool tats.
[/quote]
Those shades are genuine, £180 Gucci, Japanese imports! I didn't buy them, they were a gift. I hate Aviators. I do have some old Ray Ban style shades, with polarized lenses for fishing, but they don't look right with the hat.

Edited by KingBollock

I like to think I'm intelligent, definately not an introvert, i am a deep thinker, no problems with making eye contact and love the sun (except when i'm at work). I do have long hair and a beard though, if that amounts to any bassist stereotypes. It seems from a jobs thread i saw ages ago (not necessarily on here, may have been TB) that a lot of bassists also work in IT too, which is what i do.

Liam

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1348738698' post='1817484']
I think those who should actually reply to this topic are our friends, loved ones and perhaps bandmates - they would probably give a more accurate description of us... :D
[/quote]

Accurate... [i]and chockful of profanities[/i]; at least in my case :lol:

[b]Intelligent[/b]. I didn't finish school, so have no GCSEs, but, later, I did get myself into a college doing electronics and did quite well.
[b]Introverted[/b]. I am incredibly shy, until I can properly relax, then I get quite loud.
[b]Deep thinkers[/b]. Don't have much else to do...
[b]Don't make eye contact[/b]. I don't play live, my playing never leaves this room, so no, no eye contact.
[b]Prefer the dark to the light (night to the day)[/b]. I am naturally nocturnal, which rather confounds my Doctor (though, this summer, I have been quite good and only lapsed a couple of times and not for long). And other than an obsession with sparkly things and coloured lights (I have disco lights set up around my house, in fact I put together a mobile Disco purely to be able to play with the lights. And don't get me started on smoke machines and lasers...), I prefer the dark.
[b]Moody[/b]. I shouldn't be, I take so many tablets every day, to control it, that I rattle. And I'm [i]still[/i] moody.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1348692784' post='1817108']
Or hats. Except Slash.
[/quote][quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1348692570' post='1817101']
It's the long hair and the beard. Guitar players never have beards ;)
[/quote]

[attachment=119515:guthrie-govan2.jpg]
Perhaps the best guitarists have beards