Why become a member? ×

How has your day been as a bassist?

charliethornton

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1357244913' post='1919868']
That's a tough one!!

I have flats on my fretless P bass, and am trying an experiment of flats on my 5 string Jazz bass. Never tried half rounds, so a mystery to me. But I think you need to get these experiments out of your system.
[/quote]

oh, but they are £20 a set, and £18 a set for regular pro-steels! not sure i feel like experimenting with that kind of dosh!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357244308' post='1919843']
I put on the album californication and played my way through most of it, with a couple of improvised soloy parts. I was pretty proud of myself.

Also got a set of half round bass strings, and a set of round wounds.

Somebody, please tell me if i should put the half rounds on the jazz bass?

Tell me, should i put the half rounds on the jazz bass?

Tell me, "Put the half rounds on the jazz bass"!
[/quote]

Put the half rounds on the jazz bass, I've done it before and it sounded good

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357245001' post='1919871']

oh, but they are £20 a set, and £18 a set for regular pro-steels! not sure i feel like experimenting with that kind of dosh!
[/quote]

Bargain :P

The La Belle flats for my 5 string are setting me back £45 and I'm on a waiting list! :lol:

I have the La Belle flats on my p bass and they are gorgeous strings to play.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1357245053' post='1919873']
Put the half rounds on the jazz bass, I've done it before and it sounded good
[/quote]

Ah, good man yerself!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1357245122' post='1919876']
Bargain :P

The La Belle flats for my 5 string are setting me back £45 and I'm on a waiting list! :lol:

I have the La Belle flats on my p bass and they are gorgeous strings to play.
[/quote]

Yes, but i have been put out of any form of earning money or even learning. I literally just spent all the money that people kindly gave me for christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Two lessons this morning, posted a few comments on BC whilst changing the strings on my J, went to the Cardiff City v Ipswich match (cold, wet, windy and boring game!) came home and recorded a job which I timed perfectly before MOTD started! Typical Saturday for me.

Luckily I read emails from the last couple of days before embarking on working out Yours Is No Disgrace and found the one from keys saying he wouldn't have time to learn it. So tonight will be tidy up Starship Trooper & see if I can program some useful sounds into the Zoom B9.

On the downside the emails floating towards a different (main?) band meeting for Sunday along the lines of where are we, is there any point in continuing are not looking good. I fear that a band of many years will shortly be no more :(

Edited by WalMan

Continued bliss the last few days.
Selling everything I see in the vicinity, vaguely hoping I do own some of it, and buying bass gear off the revenue.

Ashbory arrived, CV 50s P has arrived in the shop, and the fretless StingRay fiver is en route in the postal system. Took posession of a Terror Bass 500 and a Micro Terror (love that little thing, even as a practise amp for bass!).

Man, I'm gonna have to sell a lot of bass gear soon ...

Seem unable to stop practising on the Ashbory. Dunno why I love it, but I do. Have only heard it through the Micro Terror, and am not curious about hearing it through the rest. This is sooo much fun!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a bit tricky.

I went to band practice this evening, and confirmed my impression that I can't sing worth a damn, and can't play fretless either. (Bits of it were good, which is something :)

Also I am in dispute with someone here who has my money and hasn't sent me the bass I bought off him :angry: . Moderators are involved, and I'm very grateful to them. Thread here: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198147-how-long-should-i-wait-before-i-start-asking-for-moderator-help/

Edited by alyctes

Last-but-one rehearsal for gig (in just over a weeks' time) last night. Mostly new set, sort of new line-up (me on bass for most of the night, my first proper gig as a bassist!) and first real gig in almost two years. Generally went well, a few songs improved from dodgy the week before, to just about ready to gig. Only one song dropped because it's just not been working the last couple of rehearsals.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided this was the best place to post my tale.

Whilst I can't play right now (see me shaken up thread in Off Topic) i am feeling good as a bassist.

I had to miss band practice of Weds due to the accident. First time I've missed a practice.

Yesterday I had a texts from ALL my band mates telling me how flat it all sounded without me, and how they all really missed the bass.

Proud moment and proves the line "Bass - always heard, never noticed" as its only when I wasn't there that they realised the difference I make :lol:

Been a bad week bass wise. An old rotator cuff injury to my right shoulder has been playing up, can only do 10 minutes or so before I have to stop :( Tried changing positions and strap height etc but then my fretting hand goes to pot :unsure: :rolleyes: Time to get back into the exercise routine when it settles down a bit I guess

• 4 weeks later...

Very good day as a bassist - as was Thursday.

Thursday - picked up a Fender MIJ 51 Reissue Precision. Love it, just has that special "something" about it.

Today - traded a Fender US 2012 Fender Precision for a Fender 2006 Deluxe Jazz. Now Jazzes aren`t my usual cuppa, hence the reason for me getting one, I want to expand my playing a bit, and after only having had it for half a day, I can see that it will do that.

So a good day so far.