Why become a member? ×

i haven't had a good pluck all day!

lowdowner

Suddenly realised that i've not played my bass today - for the first time in weeks, if not months (a packed day of other 'stuff' - none of it more important than bass playing alas :( )

I just wondered how often other people play their bass - either practice, gigging or just noodling? Do you play it every day, or just now and then when you need to or feel like it?

I play mine at least once a day when I can and when I play it can differ about how long I play for as sometimes it could be a few minutes to like an hour of playing random stuff but I like to start my day by playing a bit of bass before I go to school in the morning but its only like a minute nothing much really.

[quote name='Themrperson' timestamp='1348084153' post='1809146']
I play mine at least once a day when I can and when I play it can differ about how long I play for as sometimes it could be a few minutes to like an hour of playing random stuff but I like to start my day by playing a bit of bass before I go to school in the morning but its only like a minute nothing much really.
[/quote]

they say this is the best way to do it - little and often, and play it every day even if *only* for a few minutes... I find that once I start it stretches into an hour or more, but the principle's the same.

Wish I found out about bass playing when I was going to school - but I was never the cool kid! :)

I always try to do something constructive daily so that is for an hour minimum, but by the same token I don't get guilty if I miss a day and if I haven't got a gig that week. If I am gigging, then I will force myself or rather, be brutal about making the time to put something meaninful in.
I have a few things I want to get ...but they are a work in progress so I can miss that out and work on other stuff.

I never learn basslines as such so want to maintain the facility to do what ever I hear at the time of playing the song. I've always worked that way and that is why I need to be fluid and warmed up.
Sometimes it is hard to put an hour aside, but I do it...and sometimes other things have to be put aside.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1348085175' post='1809166']

For me, this is a sign of going into a zen-like trance, just repeating them over and over and over and over :blink:

I like it :happy:
[/quote]
Yeah but when you're repeating the last 20 seconds of 'Rain' by the Beatles over and over while thinking about what to have for dinner, it's probably time to stop :)

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1348087969' post='1809234']
Yeah but when you're repeating the last 20 seconds of 'Rain' by the Beatles over and over while thinking about what to have for dinner, it's probably time to stop :)
[/quote]
sounds like a typical gig - i find the audience doesn't notice either way ;)

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1348085175' post='1809166']
For me, this is a sign of going into a zen-like trance, just repeating them over and over and over and over :blink:

I like it :happy:
[/quote]
For me,that's often a sign of running out of ideas and not thinking of new things to practice..so it's usually time
to stop.

I try to fit in at least 15 mins a day. Usually when I've got in from the office, I sit down in my corner and just play. Two oe three days a week, I will have a focus on something I want to learn/practice so I have a 60 - 90 min session. Most evenings though it's just 15-30 mins noodleing before evening meal, and oddly enough, this has been the times that something I have been working on just clicks into place, less pressure on myself I suppose.

Edited by kendall

At the moment a lot,
I'll at least pick one up everyday even if only for a few mins, feels like something is missing if I don't. Bass is the drug of choice again.
We practice a couple of times a week with the Band, then I'll do my own tinkering/practice stuff at home.

In the past when I took a break from playing with other people and bands and started a Family, I left the bass alone for a good few years and might only of picked it up when I felt guilty looking at it.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1348084282' post='1809151']
they say this is the best way to do it - little and often, and play it every day even if *only* for a few minutes... I find that once I start it stretches into an hour or more, but the principle's the same.

Wish I found out about bass playing when I was going to school - but I was never the cool kid! :)
[/quote]

Yup that how I like it to do it! To be fair I'm not really a cool kid and my school is rubbish when it comes to bass as they don't have a tutor for it even so I had to teach my self and at the end of the year there was only one working bass and there was another band practicing at the same time as one time we had to go with no bass at all.