Why become a member? ×

P or J

cheddatom

[quote name='artisan' post='190535' date='May 2 2008, 02:06 PM']now this should be interesting--you little devil you.

ok here goes

P bass are best so there-cos i play one
J basses are crap[/quote]

Agreed :)

A P with a J pup in it. Or even better what about this heresy? Rip (carefully remove) the neck pup out of a Lakland DJ and pop (do some routing, soldering and mounting) a P pup (Aero) in there.

So just to feel included in the lame gay theme does that make me Bi??? :)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='190530' date='May 2 2008, 02:01 PM']J all the way. Can't get along with wide necks...anyone want to buy a Stingray? :)[/quote]

The neck on my 70's P is almost identical in size to my Fender Jazz neck.

Neither basses have enough strings tho'! heee heee heeee.

[edit] unable to vote, as my fave Fender bass would be my '89 Fender power jazz bass special. It's a bit of P and J.

[quote name='Sean' post='190874' date='May 2 2008, 09:42 PM']A P with a J pup in it.[/quote]

Tried it for a year and went back to just the P-PUP. With a good PUP and good rig,you don't need the J-PUP, trust me :)
Chris

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='190869' date='May 2 2008, 09:23 PM']A fat neck makes me feel inadequate when I go for a slash after playing. A J makes me feel slightly better about myself.[/quote]

LOL, I think that sums it up. A Jazz is like a Porsche, real men don't need one. They're happy to drive a Fiat :)

I voted J cos I've got one, but I want a P too. It depends on the gig, and if I'm recording then what the song requires, I can get a very convincing P sound from my Alembic (waits for the cries of heresy) but the J is a little harder to emulate.
Does that mean it has a more individual sound?!?!?!?

can of worms ;) ..... Spill..... ;) :) :huh: :huh:

from reading the I Hate/I love jazz threads it would seem that Jazz is for the more discerning, intellectual player and the P is for the true 4 string dullard - 1 pup, 2 knobs, nothing too complicated :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='191063' date='May 3 2008, 08:51 AM']The Beedsters spot on there! ^^^^

:)[/quote]

The J pup gives me the slap tone I need. The P just doesn't do it alone when slapping. For fingerstyle and pick stuff the J is rolled off.

[quote name='Doc B' post='191072' date='May 3 2008, 09:17 AM']from reading the I Hate/I love jazz threads it would seem that Jazz is for the more discerning, intellectual player and the P is for the true 4 string dullard - 1 pup, 2 knobs, nothing too complicated :)[/quote]

That's me to a 'T'.

It's still one knob too many for me, though... :huh:

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='190869' date='May 2 2008, 10:23 PM']A fat neck makes me feel inadequate when I go for a slash after playing. A J makes me feel slightly better about myself.[/quote]

ah now its clear
if you play a Jazz you're only a wee man
if you play a Precision you're hung like a stallion :)

[quote name='Doc B' post='191072' date='May 3 2008, 09:17 AM']from reading the I Hate/I love jazz threads it would seem that Jazz is for the more discerning, intellectual player and the P is for the true 4 string dullard - 1 pup, 2 knobs, nothing too complicated :)[/quote]

Not for everyone.

I'm a J man, but far from intellectual.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='191329' date='May 3 2008, 07:33 PM']Not for everyone.

I'm a J man, but far from intellectual.[/quote]
We all know you like to beat your er.... chest and wear a wolfskin. But underneath you are a left bank, smoky, black and white film, goatee sporting, beret wearing garlic loving philosopher with all the associated sophistication that goes with it.

[quote name='dood' post='190883' date='May 2 2008, 09:54 PM']The neck on my 70's P is almost identical in size to my Fender Jazz neck.

Neither basses have enough strings tho'! heee heee heeee.[/quote]

Simple solution... glue the necks together. :)

[quote name='Sean' post='191078' date='May 3 2008, 09:32 AM']The J pup gives me the slap tone I need. The P just doesn't do it alone when slapping. For fingerstyle and pick stuff the J is rolled off.[/quote]

Aaaaaahhhh so your a self-confessed slapper eh?

We try to avoid such frivolity on Ps.... :) :huh: ;)

[quote name='Sean' post='191078' date='May 3 2008, 09:32 AM']The J pup gives me the slap tone I need. The P just doesn't do it alone when slapping. For fingerstyle and pick stuff the J is rolled off.[/quote]

I agree with that actually, I don't think I've ever seen someone playing slap on a Precision, but then that goes against the Ps simplicity. Slapping is unnecessary, much like additional pickups and active circuitry :) Fingers is all you need, although I do like the sound of a P with a pick.

I've slapped a P. I liked it!

I can't beleive how close this is. I thought P was an obvious winner from the way people are always on about them. It seems everyone without a fender is voting J?

I thought a good idea would be to do google image search for "precision bass" and "jazz bass". I was sure i'd get some looser for P and some sexy chic for J, but....

P

J

Edited by cheddatom