Why become a member? ×

Painful Wal GAS

throwoff

Guys.....I feel your pain....I first saw a Wal in about '86 and touched one in '97 (I would say played.....but some of you may have heard me....lol). It's taken me until 3 weeks ago to actually own one :D .....thats 26 years of GAS! I hope you dont have to wait that long. Sorry I cant help with the try out....its a righty and I'm about 500 miles away from you!

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1347535840' post='1802054']
i'm gasing for one too matey,i really want a MK1 in black with gold hardware.
sadly it'll never happen unless i win the lottery :sorry:
[/quote]

+1 on the Mk.1 GAS with me too.
Trying to sell off some basses to raise the funds but no joy so far... Hope it's not 26 years like AceBassMusic a couple of posts ago :blink:

I don't know if it helps, I wanted one for years and years, finally I got to play on one at a jam session, this one was natural with a plastic black scratchplate, two pickups, it was horrid, really horrid, almost unplayable - the neck felt like it was warped, the action was incredibly high and it still buzzed and farted all over. I handed it back with glee as my battered old Fender copy was returned to me...

I still want one though - even though the one I tried was so utterly crap, the sound was like nothing else I have played since!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1347542228' post='1802178']
I don't know if it helps, I wanted one for years and years, finally I got to play on one at a jam session, this one was natural with a plastic black scratchplate, two pickups, it was horrid, really horrid, almost unplayable - the neck felt like it was warped, the action was incredibly high and it still buzzed and farted all over. I handed it back with glee as my battered old Fender copy was returned to me...

I still want one though - even though the one I tried was so utterly crap, the sound was like nothing else I have played since!
[/quote]
A friend of mine has a Wal (not sure of the model) that used to belong to John Paul Jones, and as much as i wanted to love it (as much for the JPJ connection as anything), when i played it i hated it! I just couldn't get on with it, the pickups were too far into the body for me to find a comfortable place to rest my thumb and i couldn't wait to give it back. It was at a jam night so didn't get much chance to talk to him about it. I'll have to try it again, at a time when i can take some time to get used to it, i'm sure it was more me than the bass! :)

Edited by ern500evo

The dangerous thing with Wal gas is that some people fall in love with the sound but then can't get on with the basses, especially those with a more pronounced 'V' shape in the neck. And they can be pretty damn heavy too! But I love them all the same. I look back and kick myself now, thinking of all the chances I had to grab one before the prices skyrocketed. I always thought 'nah, there is something else I should buy'. Then I discovered the Geddy Lee Wal sound and fell in love, but it was too late.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1347443176' post='1800754']
I am falling more in love with every single Wal I hear...

If anyone in the south east has a lefty please let me know, I would love a noodle so I can convince myself I don't like it...
[/quote]
There was a band called Blind Eye Fury from Brighton - their bass player used a lefty Wal - I forget which model, MK II maybe.

The bass player was a pretty decent bloke by the name of Steve Dickson, maybe try and get in contact through Facebook or something? I daresay he'd let you have a noodle for a couple of beers or something

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1347542228' post='1802178']

[/quote]
shock horror! really? a bad Wal?? not from the maker for sure...your guy hadn't looked after it, simple as.

Throwoff, I never had youdown as a Wal luster!
I have documented elsewhere that I travelled from the north east to the workshop (factory? the place wasn't much bigger than my sitting room!) in High Wycombe in 1983 to try one out. I ordered one and still have it today.
I have been having GAS for a Fender. Dunno why, seems the done thing as so many bassists of the stars use them.

I bought myself a TC Electronics BG250 ( it's a weight/bad back thing) plugged in my Wal and..... fell in love all over again.
Tight punchy middle-tones to low growl with the sweep of the pan-pot. Why do I need a Fender? GAAAS!

I am off to try out a L/H jazz today... the guy has about 16 basses, including a L/H wal fretless that he keeps under his bed, hardly played it. Sinful I say...

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1347605124' post='1802893']
shock horror! really? a bad Wal?? not from the maker for sure...your guy hadn't looked after it, simple as.
[/quote]
Yes I think it was very poorly looked after, although he had no trouble playing it well - but I guess he'd got used to it!
Not saying Wal's are bad at all, but the one I tried was a huge letdown - I guess its like that thing about never meeting your heroes.
I'm over it now, I still want one, with two pickups, in black with no scratchplate mmmmm :)

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1347581188' post='1802842']
The dangerous thing with Wal gas is that some people fall in love with the sound but then can't get on with the basses, especially those with a more pronounced 'V' shape in the neck. And they can be pretty damn heavy too! But I love them all the same. I look back and kick myself now, thinking of all the chances I had to grab one before the prices skyrocketed. I always thought 'nah, there is something else I should buy'. Then I discovered the Geddy Lee Wal sound and fell in love, but it was too late.
[/quote]

Chris has got a very good point here ; you will find no bigger fan of Wal basses than me - I played them for ten years- but they are a somewhat idiosyncratic design and definitely not for everyone. The sound is up there with anything at any price, and to my taste is better than most anything else on the market , but Wals do tend to have a particular neck shape that is not to everybodys taste, albeit that there is some variation in shape between different individual examples. As Chris also mentions, a lot of them are relatively heavy, but bear in mind that back in the day, weight was far less of an issue to people than it seems to be nowadays.. The good news is that if you were looking at getting a new Wal built for you , then Paul can easily make you whatever neck profile you like , and can also pick out some lighter woods to help with the weight . With the secondhand prices Wals are going for these days, if you can afford a used one then you might as well get a new one and have it just how you want. I have absolutely no doubt that the latest Wal basses are just as good as the vintage ones were, that's for sure.

Edited by Dingus