Why become a member? ×

Perspex clear speaker 'guard/noise reducer'.

mybass

Out of interest I was trying to find if there are perspex type guitar speaker noise 'guards' available but no luck.
Anyone know where I could get info on them please?
These are the clear 'shields' placed in front of speakers, around drum kits etc on stage (and studio) to cut onstage levels
from hitting the front row of the punters but allow the player to have their amp settings as per usual.

...and Skank just beat me it finding this :)

[url="http://www.graceacoustics.co.uk/products/Amplifier-Screen.html"]Grace Acoustic Amplifier Screen[/url]

The question then becomes; how much of a screen to have, just 3 sides, plus a top? Has anyone used one of these in anger for gigs?

Edited by WalMan

This may be a silly question....

Drummers are loud, put a screen round them and mic them up. they can play like Keith Moon and not drown out everyone else

Valve bass amps sound better louder, run them somewhere with screens at the front (and back?) and mic them to get the fully saturated valve guitar sounds.

A bass amp... in most cases not so volume dependent.... why not just turn it down?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347309055' post='1799246']

Drummers are loud, put a screen round them and mic them up. they can play like Keith Moon and not drown out everyone else

Valve bass amps sound better louder, run them somewhere with screens at the front (and back?) and mic them to get the fully saturated valve guitar sounds.

A bass amp... in most cases not so volume dependent.... why not just turn it down?
[/quote]

If you turn down the bass amp and you're micing it up, then that mic can catch bleed from other things. Ideally you want the amp loud for a few inches surrounding the cab to drown out bleed from other places, then silent beyond that (assuming proper monitoring).

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347309055' post='1799246']

[/quote]

The question was for a 'guitar shield'..I would never use a bass one !

[quote name='mybass' timestamp='1347364605' post='1799772']
The question was for a 'guitar shield'..I would never use a bass one !
[/quote]

ah makes sense- I did wonder, but though with this being a place where well, we talk about basses a fair bit don't we? :D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1347365281' post='1799784']
It's just a piece of acrylic? How much would that cost to knock up in the shed? :blink:
[/quote]There are a few YouTube videos from people who have built their own. Studiospares seemed to have replacement hinges. The main requirement of a DIY version seems to be rounding all the edges so you do not slice your hand off moving them.

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1347365616' post='1799790']
There are a few YouTube videos from people who have built their own. Studiospares seemed to have replacement hinges. The main requirement of a DIY version seems to be rounding all the edges so you do not slice your hand off moving them.
[/quote]

You could always put some foam or rubber around the edges if you wanted

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1347365742' post='1799792']
You could always put some foam or rubber around the edges if you wanted
[/quote]

I know drummers are supposed to lack intelligence but isn't that a little too far? Actually, thinking about it, it's a drummer, make that foam 2" thick i think.

I do see the appeal for these, but as we never mic the drums i think it'd be pretty impractical for us. Our drummer's good with volume anyway, but i'm sure he wouldn't mind being able to go all out without killing anyones ears.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

does it need to be clear for an amp? i'd go with a self build made of plywood with piano hinges maybe, and line it with some kind of dampening material.

my church bought a drum screen to reduce the onstage volume and all it managed to do was reflect the drums back against a wall and make them very loud on the balcony (and deafening for the drummer, it was painful behind the kit even with a moderate drummer), we had to add some acoustic panels on the back wall to balance it all out (we ended up ditching the screen as it was easier to get the drummer to play quieter, which coupled with the acoustic panels sorted the volume problems.)

Matt

Thanks all..one company contact made and some cheeky asides about drummers!
The screen would be for a guitar cabinet mainly but Matt P's thoughts could be very relevant for smaller gigs with brick wall stage surround (e.g. Farnham Maltings, terrible onstage sound for bands).
I recently saw Eric Johnson ion his European tour using a homemade type 'baffle' that looked like a hinged and carpeted screen, so if carpet is good enough for Eric, then I'm sure he has looked at all options available.