Why become a member? ×

Barefaced compact and Midget T

thebassman

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1346540185' post='1790472']

A few weeks ago I had the chance to try a Mesa 2 x 10 against my Compact. The Compact was my preferred sound by a long way.

The Mesa cab sounded thin and lacking in the depth and creaminess of the Compact.
[/quote]

That could be part of my problem, as depth and creaminess (certainly the latter) aren't really what I'm after.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1346540185' post='1790472']
....A few weeks ago I had the chance to try a Mesa 2 x 10 against my Compact....
[/quote]

Did you try the two together?

I tried my Berg 210 with a Compact (front room volume only) and they sounded great.

• 3 weeks later...

I regularly used a Hartke 2.5XL, its a 2x10 with a little 5". Deep cabinet in terms of sound and size with a a generous port. Sounds great and can handle some real power.

I had a similar initial disappointment as the OP when I played my nice new BF cabs. Seemed to lose all tone and left with a bland sound, until I discovered the 'bland sound' was actually the sound of a bass guitar, not a Hartke cab. Took me a little while to get used to it but now, having played through the Hartke again at home and despite the initial impressiveness of the sound its relative muddiness and boom has made me realise the difference even more and what a one way ticket it is to the BF.

And that was without trying to get it downstairs to the car!

I used one of those 2.5XLs once, in the Bass Centre. '91 Dolphin Pro 1 into some Hartke head that had a LOT of eq - rotaries that is - and it sounded fantastic. One of my favourite ever playing experiences. To be honest though I do rather like the sound of the old Hartkes, unlike many these days.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1348160301' post='1810235']
Yep, the XL range were great sounding cabs. I had the 210 & 115 paired together, worked really well, very nice set-up.
[/quote]

Yep, only improved when I added a PRO1800 monster.

Those days of humping heavy gear around are now gone. I have to say I miss the ridiculous lows from the 1x18 rattling my fillings but I don't miss it as much as I'm happy not to have to move it.

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1346677172' post='1791790']
I'm guessing everyone in this thread has barefaced cab, so I'd like to know if Mr Barefaced sends you a tracking number when they post it off? I only ask because I got th email saying 'such and such a cab will be soon be posted to this address etc etc' about 3 weeks ago.
[/quote]
I also got the e-mail 3 or 4 weeks ago, but haven't heard anymore. I have had tracking numbers for my other Barefaced cabs.

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1348213239' post='1810794']
Communication can be sporadic at times but the best place for answers is here: [email protected]
[/quote]
Thanks, i tried that, but no reply yet. I know replying to e-mails takes time and slows production, but it would be nice to know if it was a week or six weeks away.

Edited by MOSCOWBASS

Frank was kind enough to let me try his barefaced cabs against my mesa scout extension They were lovely sounding cabs and I much prefered the midget over the compact, don't know why though. I was mainly disappointed with the finish, they looked cheap (I know they are not) But I would like to see a wee bit more effort going into the finish. If you look at the mesa cab and say the Baer ML cab they are a wee bit nicer in my opinion of course.

But I came on here to ask what cab was at the end on the picture that barefaced updated facebook with?

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1348238054' post='1811271']
Frank was kind enough to let me try his barefaced cabs against my mesa scout extension They were lovely sounding cabs and I much prefered the midget over the compact, don't know why though. I was mainly disappointed with the finish, they looked cheap (I know they are not) But I would like to see a wee bit more effort going into the finish. If you look at the mesa cab and say the Baer ML cab they are a wee bit nicer in my opinion of course.

But I came on here to ask what cab was at the end on the picture that barefaced updated facebook with?
[/quote]

Looks like a Compact on each end, a Big Baby (the one with the silver grille) and a Super 12, if we're looking at the same picture.

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1346677172' post='1791790']
I'm guessing everyone in this thread has barefaced cab, so I'd like to know if Mr Barefaced sends you a tracking number when they post it off? I only ask because I got th email saying 'such and such a cab will be soon be posted to this address etc etc' about 3 weeks ago.
[/quote]

Yeah, it happened the same thing with my midget. From what i understood Alex gathers a number of units to be shipped at the same time. Mine took a while to arive but it was worth it. Have just a little more patience ;)

cheers

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1348323031' post='1812326']
SE I'm afraid!

I'm just about to pack for a gig this evening in a smallish venue and will be putting the Compact in the car rather than the Midget. Sound? No, just the Midget looks too small sometimes!
[/quote]

Ah, a bit too far away. Never mind, thanks for the offer.

I like a small cab. It makes me look like a giant! ;) Seriously, these days the smaller the better as long as it functions. Sometimes we have to get 3 band members and a passenger into one car with our gear (current band is acoustic, except for me).

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1348260207' post='1811675']
I can't help wondering if I should be looking to swap my Compact for a Midget.....
[/quote]

It was my Compact and Midget that Phil-ospher10 tried a few days ago. We were comparing them to his Mesa Walkabout 12 extension cab.

Unfortunately it was in my front room (although at reasonable volume) and it would have been better with a band at a gig.

Phil preferred the Midget and I think that was because of the mids and the more aggresive sound when compared to the Compact. I prefer the Compact for the better depth and bigger sound although I do gig the Midget on its own and have no problems with volume in small/medium pubs. Both are really great cabs but the Compact is, in my opinion, the better all-round cab if you can only have the one. But I could easily live with either.

As a matter of interest, the Mesa stood up well but was noticibly more boomy and less clean in the mids and highs than either of the Barefaced cabs when pushed for volume.

Personally, as a choice between 12' cabs, to me the Midget is the better sounding (and far louder!) cab. Not that the Mesa is bad, it's actually a lovely sounding cab, although I didn't like the boominess, but it ran out of steam way before the Midget. It sounds really beautiful at more moderate volumes though.

Of the three cabs, I'd take the Compact first, Midget second and......... well, that's why we were trying the cabs Phil. :)

Frank

The midget is quite ridiculously good full stop. Then you add in the size and weight it is a no brainer. You have to dial in some more lows than you normal would, but a tweak of EQ is hardly a heavy price to pay.

I have gigged a midget for 2 years now and never needed anything else other than a outdoors (DI in to the PA).

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1348562604' post='1815104']
The midget is quite ridiculously good full stop. Then you add in the size and weight it is a no brainer. You have to dial in some more lows than you normal would, but a tweak of EQ is hardly a heavy price to pay.

I have gigged a midget for 2 years now and never needed anything else other than a outdoors (DI in to the PA).
[/quote]

This. :)

Just don't raise it too far off the floor.

Edited by fatback