Why become a member? ×

Barefaced compact and Midget T

thebassman

I used the Compact tonight... I'd forgot how good it is.

Loud, grindy, deep. It's all there if you take a little time to work out how to get the sound.

The Midget is a great cab, a really great cab, but the Compact just has a little more to offer in growl and depth.

Just thought I'd add this to the thread. :D :D

Frank.

Anybody in the Swindon area with a Compact and Midget? I have a Compact on order, but have just done a deal to buy one from a BC member. I need to decide whether to stick with 2 Compacts, or change my order to a Midget, so would appreciate the opportunity to compare.

For Midget: even more portable than Compact, 3 rigs from 2 cabs (Midget; Compact: Midget + Compact)

For 2nd Compact: possibly bigger sound, not a big fan of aggressive mids (but do like the mid frequencies that flatter a fretless)

So - anyone local to Swindon with this rig?

well, ive just taken delivery of my super fifteen, which is essentially two compacts in one box and it's easily the best cab ive ever used, i feel like ive got an 8x10 behind me but with more of everything good, and i can lift it with one hand! FLIPPIN ECK

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1349718660' post='1829592']
Anybody in the Swindon area with a Compact and Midget? I have a Compact on order, but have just done a deal to buy one from a BC member. I need to decide whether to stick with 2 Compacts, or change my order to a Midget, so would appreciate the opportunity to compare.

For Midget: even more portable than Compact, 3 rigs from 2 cabs (Midget; Compact: Midget + Compact)

For 2nd Compact: possibly bigger sound, not a big fan of aggressive mids (but do like the mid frequencies that flatter a fretless)

[/quote]

That'll be me :)

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1349778834' post='1830300']
well, ive just taken delivery of my super fifteen, which is essentially two compacts in one box and it's easily the best cab ive ever used, i feel like ive got an 8x10 behind me but with more of everything good, and i can lift it with one hand! FLIPPIN ECK
[/quote]

I have absolutely no use for this beast, but you've given me a major GAS attack.

Careful, you'll kill small animals. :D

[/quote]

Sorry, not near Swindon. I'd recommend the Midget 'T'/Compact route.

Def go and try, of course, from my experience there are few places where you'll need more than one Compact.

I have a Midget/Compact set up, use the Midget constantly and the Compact for Motown (perfect!) and when the Midget will look a bit silly. Not really used them both together in anger.

I'm not one for aggressive mids either, I use the Midget as my default cab as with the Streamliner its sounds fine with everything at 12 O'Clock. I often tweak the bass to 1 O'Clock for some warmth, if I go beyond that I'm asked to turn down. I'm playing almost entirely soul music at the mo' (happy days!) with pretty thuddy strings and often palm muted, clearly not the same as belting with a pick which may bring out some aggressive mids.

Would recommend the 'T' option, opens all tone options.

Guest bassman7755

[/quote]

I have a compact and midget, I live in covingham, east swindon

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1349784111' post='1830405']
That'll be me :)
[/quote]

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1349812373' post='1830970']
I have a compact and midget, I live in covingham, east swindon
[/quote]

Wow! An embarrassment of riches! All being well I am picking up the used Compact on Friday. I will probably take a few days to get used to it, then I will be shamelessly PM-ing Raggy and bassman7755 to try and sort some kind of AB test. Alex at Barefaced has agreed to put my order on hold until I''ve quit dithering.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1349789194' post='1830530']
Sorry, not near Swindon. I'd recommend the Midget 'T'/Compact route.

Def go and try, of course, from my experience there are few places where you'll need more than one Compact.

I have a Midget/Compact set up, use the Midget constantly and the Compact for Motown (perfect!) and when the Midget will look a bit silly. Not really used them both together in anger.

I'm not one for aggressive mids either, I use the Midget as my default cab as with the Streamliner its sounds fine with everything at 12 O'Clock. I often tweak the bass to 1 O'Clock for some warmth, if I go beyond that I'm asked to turn down. I'm playing almost entirely soul music at the mo' (happy days!) with pretty thuddy strings and often palm muted, clearly not the same as belting with a pick which may bring out some aggressive mids.

Would recommend the 'T' option, opens all tone options.
[/quote]

Thanks 4 Strings, that's really useful. 'Motown' is pretty much my default tone, achieved with a P-bass, tone knob set to about 3/10. I'll probably pass on the tweeter though - I've always got enough top end out of a 15 when playing (for example) Green Day covers with a pick.

Cheers guys!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1349817510' post='1831046'] Wow! An embarrassment of riches! All being well I am picking up the used Compact on Friday. I will probably take a few days to get used to it, then I will be shamelessly PM-ing Raggy and bassman7755 to try and sort some kind of AB test. Alex at Barefaced has agreed to put my order on hold until I''ve quit dithering. Thanks 4 Strings, that's really useful. 'Motown' is pretty much my default tone, achieved with a P-bass, tone knob set to about 3/10. I'll probably pass on the tweeter though - I've always got enough top end out of a 15 when playing (for example) Green Day covers with a pick. Cheers guys! [/quote]

TheTweeter is totally adjustable (down to nothing) and just gives the option if you ever need it at some time. It adds weight and takes from the elegance of the Midget design (in my opinion) but its all marginal. With it in place I feel I have everything.

I've had a compact for about a month now, and only just got the midget. I broke the cab in using the sine wave, and then used it over the weekend where I had 3 gigs in various sizes of room. My first impressions are.... that I prefer the compact by quite a bit. I find the midget to sound "small" in comparison. That's no surprise, the thing is tiny! I think it performs very well for it's size, but I still knew I was using a smaller cab than usual..... I hear the difference, it sounded more compressed at volume.
However, I'm not unreasonable, and I wasn't expecting miracles, so I'm happy enough with it, (it really is a tiiny box!). Where it really comes into it's own is when you put it on top of the compact. Then the whole rig gets very loud, very balanced, and very very easy to hear with great projection into the crowd. So... for that reason I'll be keeping the midget, although the thoughts of a double compact set up are very enticing.... I think overall I'd miss the tweeter in the midget. Also, having a cab that small, that can still manage a full gig, is bound to come in handy someday! I had an EBS neo 112 which was about the same size, but that was almost totally useless in comparison, volume wise (although it sounded good up to a point).

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1349819831' post='1831087']
TheTweeter is totally adjustable (down to nothing) and just gives the option if you ever need it at some time. It adds weight and takes from the elegance of the Midget design (in my opinion) but its all marginal. With it in place I feel I have everything.
[/quote]
Also adds to the cost!

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1349860012' post='1831313']
I've had a compact for about a month now, and only just got the midget. I broke the cab in using the sine wave, and then used it over the weekend where I had 3 gigs in various sizes of room. My first impressions are.... that I prefer the compact by quite a bit. I find the midget to sound "small" in comparison. That's no surprise, the thing is tiny! I think it performs very well for it's size, but I still knew I was using a smaller cab than usual..... I hear the difference, it sounded more compressed at volume.
However, I'm not unreasonable, and I wasn't expecting miracles, so I'm happy enough with it, (it really is a tiiny box!). Where it really comes into it's own is when you put it on top of the compact. Then the whole rig gets very loud, very balanced, and very very easy to hear with great projection into the crowd. So... for that reason I'll be keeping the midget, although the thoughts of a double compact set up are very enticing.... I think overall I'd miss the tweeter in the midget. Also, having a cab that small, that can still manage a full gig, is bound to come in handy someday! I had an EBS neo 112 which was about the same size, but that was almost totally useless in comparison, volume wise (although it sounded good up to a point).
[/quote]

Just about my experience. Bound too be a difference between two different sized cabs, I simply knock the bass up a bit on the amp for the Midget if I need to.

I cannot over-emphasise the benefit in convenience of the tiny cab. Parked a little way from rehearsals on Monday, bass on back, laptop on one shoulder, Streamliner on the other, Midget in one hand, car keys in the other, a pleasant stroll down the road from the car and all in one trip. I can no longer imagine what I went through with Trace stacks etc years ago.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1350249518' post='1836440']
Got my (used) Compact last Friday - very pleased indeed. Decided to amend my BF order to a Midget on the grounds of maximum flexibility, and the extreme unlikelihood of me ever needing to fire up 2 Compacts at once!
[/quote]

In my opinion, the right decision, especially if you can go the extra mile for the 'T'. Perhaps may not use it all the time but just adds that option.

You may also find, as I did, that you end up using the Midget as the default. Used the Compact on Saturday, again mainly due to what the Midget would look like on a large stage more than any sonic requirements, and it was a huge sound. However, having got used to the Midget so much I felt it lacked some mids. I am also trying Newtone Platinums for the first time, but wondered if I missed my Midget! Rehearsal tonight, back to the Midget and we'll see if its the Newtones. I've been brave enough before with just the Midget on a large stage and it was fine!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1350249518' post='1836440']
Got my (used) Compact last Friday - very pleased indeed. Decided to amend my BF order to a Midget on the grounds of maximum flexibility, and the extreme unlikelihood of me ever needing to fire up 2 Compacts at once!
[/quote]

Your not going to regret that at all :)