Why become a member? ×

Drummer Replacement

DogHammer

We have just gone through a change of Drummer in the band.

Our previous drummer had commitment problems, he didn't turn up for practice, cancelled practices a few hours before we were due to start, was sat on his phone inbetween playing/practice, and didn't seem to interested. He was also a bit older than us, we are all 28 - 34, and he was 50.

So after lengthy discussions between the rest of us we decided to let him go. It was quite a hard thing to do as we all have became good friends over the past 9 or so months.

We trialled a new drummer on Tuesday, 30 years old, and he is a session drummer who lives near us, and was looking for a band that he could have input into.

Wow...

I found the difference for me was incredible. He picked up our original material without even listening to it before hand, and made it his own. He followed my basslines to make his beat and for me it felt great.

I found that I could throw in fills, feel tight and comfortable like I never have before.

Never knew what I was missing out on!!!

So we are gigging tonight with him on a Rock originals night.

Just wanted to share my new found enthusiasm with you all!!

[size=5][sub]Good but look after him and know that anyone any good is likely to be in-demand and looking for a variety of work.[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]You might want him to introduce you to a relaible dep type as well...[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]If the guy is good he will not take long to get up to speed and be sought-after[/sub][/size]

As far a being a bass player is concerned, you're only as good as your drummer. If you have a crap drummer you'll sound pretty crap as well (and so will the band). But if your drummer sounds good, so will you.

I'm off to Ireland in a couple of weeks to play some festivals with the crappiest drummer on the planet (our singer took pity on him and asked him along without consulting me). I am not looking forward to it!

Edited by gjones

I know how you feel. The drummer in our band started going downhill (she's young, doing too much dope and started losing enthusiasm for everything) and eventually quit. She had also had an affair with our lead guitarist (before she decided she's a lesbian. again). The guitarist has just left his wife, who is the sister of the wife-to-be of our singer. I also used to "know" her mother. (Well, it is Norfolk....). All in all, it's amazing we hung together as long as we did.

Anyhow, I put forward the names of a couple of other drummer I've worked with, only to find our lead guitarist has slotted his mate in (separate rant...). Said mate turned up, turned out it was almost the first time he'd played with other musicians, is very nervous and will take a long, long time to get up to speed.

Trouble is, we've got two gigs coming up.

So, guitarist found a dep who came along to rehearsal on Tuesday. What a difference! I played better than I have for ages, and the whole band buzzed. We cracked through 30 songs in three hours (all covers, although some are our own arrangements) and the drummer not only kept up, he added fills, breaks and generally made us all lift our game. Trouble is, he's more interested in body-building than being in a band.

Tonight it's the turn of one of "my" drummers who will dep for us in the other gig we've got coming up. Fingers crossed he's just as good.

I've gone from not looking forward to rehearsals to "bring it on"!

from the other side...

I tried out on drums for a folky band, but at the rehearsal there was no bassist. I was crap, and it sounded totally innapropriate. At the next rehearsal the bassist was there and he is GOOD and it felt so good I went from nearly quitting to loving it!

Yes. Drums and bass is a partnership. You both have to listen to each other. If it's a one way street and the drummer just insists on playing what he wants it can get very frustrating.

You're spoiled now. Once you play with a drummer with good ears and feel you can never go back.

I played with a bad drummer for so long I began to doubt my ability as a bass player. Depping for 3 bands was all it took to convince me to quit.

I've since been told that the wrong person quit....

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1345727251' post='1780920']
I know how you feel. The drummer in our band started going downhill (she's young, doing too much dope and started losing enthusiasm for everything) and eventually quit. She had also had an affair with our lead guitarist (before she decided she's a lesbian. again). The guitarist has just left his wife, who is the sister of the wife-to-be of our singer. I also used to "know" her mother. (Well, it is Norfolk....). All in all, it's amazing we hung together as long as we did.

[/quote]

This just made me spill my cuppa and spray the laptop!

Just gotta love Norfolk (thinking of moving there as it sounds far better than bucks!)

We just shifted our drummer out as he was a complete @r$3hol3. He was always banging on about wanting more money and then would cancel gigs last minute if it was too far away or not paying enough. Turns out he cancelled a gig to rehearse with his old band as they're doing a one off reunion gig next month. When I found out I told him to try get his old band back together cos he's done with this one.
Now to find a replacement. Luckily we have a solid dep (the drummer from my other band) who's killer but he can't do two bands so he's only a temporary fit. Been advertising recently but had no real promising takers. One guy asked for an audition today but turned him down as he said he had no kit and his wife wouldn't let him buy one. He said he knew someone that would lend him one for gigs as long as that chap wasn't using it himself. WTF!!!!!

The trouble i got with my drummer is he's my brother and i can't kick him out.
He has trouble keeping time, And it throws everyone out, and to top it off he has a massive ego and will argue with any help or constructive critism! He just plays the same roles out of time!

we're only a covers band, but i spend hours practicing and trying to get things perfect, and feel quite deflated when i play with him.

Any suggestions?? I'd love to play with a brilliant drummer!!

[quote name='ken_white' timestamp='1345835761' post='1782324']
He has trouble keeping time, And it throws everyone out, and to top it off he has a massive ego and will argue with any help or constructive critism! He just plays the same roles out of time!

we're only a covers band, but i spend hours practicing and trying to get things perfect, and feel quite deflated when i play with him.

[/quote]

Very tricky but you either confront him, put up with it or leave the band. You know him better than we do but if it were me I'd seriously consider the last option as you're clearly frustrated.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1345836261' post='1782340']

Very tricky but you either confront him, put up with it or leave the band. You know him better than we do but if it were me I'd seriously consider the last option as you're clearly frustrated.
[/quote]

I've tried all sorts, just ends in massive arguments! like brothers in bands normally do! lol

i think i'll keep my eyes for another band and see what happens!

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1345726119' post='1780897']
As far a being a bass player is concerned, you're only as good as your drummer. If you have a crap drummer you'll sound pretty crap as well (and so will the band). But if your drummer sounds good, so will you.

I'm off to Ireland in a couple of weeks to play some festivals with the crappiest drummer on the planet (our singer took pity on him and asked him along without consulting me). I am not looking forward to it!
[/quote]

hope he's not reading this then :lol: :lol:
Dave

[quote name='ken_white' timestamp='1345835761' post='1782324']

[/quote]

No suggestions if he wont help himself... not that I'd be that patient to wait anyway.
And since he will not help the situation, then you have the one option..
New band.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1345726119' post='1780897']

[/quote]

No, no and thrice NO. What a ridiculous situation... I think I would have been on the phone telling the singer he NEEDS to undo this mess asap..!!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1345884345' post='1782670']

No suggestions if he wont help himself... not that I'd be that patient to wait anyway.
And since he will not help the situation, then you have the one option..
New band.
[/quote]

Yeah, can see what your saying, think thats the best option, think i'll start looking!

As bad as it makes me feel!!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1345884487' post='1782675']
No, no and thrice NO. What a ridiculous situation... I think I would have been on the phone telling the singer he NEEDS to undo this mess asap..!!
[/quote]

He's a she and she already knows she did a bad thing. But she's too soft hearted to burst his bubble. We'll probably need him to dep in the future as well, as our usual drummer is away on tour for six weeks from mid October. The thing is he's a great drummer but doesn't play for the song, he plays for himself. It's like a guitarist who is supposed to be playing rhythm but solos all through the song. It's sad because he has the ability to be a great drummer but will always be 'The drummer of last resort' as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1346084360' post='1785032']

He's a she and she already knows she did a bad thing. But she's too soft hearted to burst his bubble. We'll probably need him to dep in the future as well, as our usual drummer is away on tour for six weeks from mid October. The thing is he's a great drummer but doesn't play for the song, he plays for himself. It's like a guitarist who is supposed to be playing rhythm but solos all through the song. It's sad because he has the ability to be a great drummer but will always be 'The drummer of last resort' as far as I'm concerned.
[/quote]

BTW, Basschatters I was lucky enough to catch gjones band at the Edinburgh fringe and they are really great. I dont know which drummer was playing at the time but he sounded good to me! :-)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1346085487' post='1785061']
BTW, Basschatters I was lucky enough to catch gjones band at the Edinburgh fringe and they are really great. I dont know which drummer was playing at the time but he sounded good to me! :-)
[/quote]

He was the 'good' drummer. The 'bad' drummer did the previous gig with us. You were lucky not to see him :)

Edit - Oh and thanks for the nice words seashell

Edited by gjones

Ah drummers, they are all a bit mental !

I had to get rid of a guy who had been playing with us for 5 years because I just couldn't take any more bull from him.
Took a while but found a guy who is unreal, has toured the world played with some amazing bands and is a really really nice guy.

It has changed the whole band around everyone is so happy the gigs are just like going out with your mates for a night and we have never been tighter

Bliss :)

We often take drummers for granted here but they really do make or break the band (along with singers). Talented guitarists and bassists are ten a penny. Same for passable keyboard players. But to get a good drummer is a magical thing. I find every drummer is a bit different, so you need to take time to get to know their style and the whole band needs to adjust to their sense of time. But when it clicks, it's great!