Why become a member? ×

Time to buy European? (Well Sandberg, perhaps)

Musicman20

Prices seem to be excellent due to the Euro situation. This make the Sandbergs that are normally £1400 about £1100 or less!

I've just realised that Sandberg make a P/J bass. The Sandberg California VT. Apparently these are quite new.

Has anyone seen or played one?

http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/calv-series/calvt

I've never had my hands on one of these but have always thought Sandberg basses as a whole always look very, very sturdy and well-made. That bridge looks pretty chunky , for a start. What I do know is that those Delano Pickups sound fantastic. I just wonder why they don't put dots on the fingerboard. Maybe they think it makes them look more modern. It looks like a lot of bass for £1100.

I've been contemplating the fretless TT, looks a lot of bass for the money, 1/2 the price of signature model Fenders like Tony Franklin & Victor Baileys.

I emailed Thomman asking about the current stock having the same (Delano) pick ups as shown, but was told "[font="Arial"]Sorry, but this item comes with Sandberg PU´s." [/font]
[font="Arial"][url="http://www.thomann.de/de/sandberg_california_jj4_rw_tsbfl_passiv.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/de/sandberg_california_jj4_rw_tsbfl_passiv.htm[/url][/font]

I looked at them pretty closely a few months back in a large music retail shop which had a good few basses. Nothing stood out, tbh... but they were no worse than the other more glam basses they stocked and I think the shop failed to set them up properly.....BUT.... as they had about 40-50 basses, this would be a major HASSLE everytime new stock was delivered...!!!!!

I would take a few tools like allen keys to the shop.... and if they are keen to sell, they might tweak the bass..as GAK were prepared to do.
My initial feeing about Sandbergs was that they were ok but not worth £1400 ....£1100-ish is better but I would say £7-800 for VGC SH i what I would look for.
Having said that, they were relic'ed, so ...??? ha ha

But G, you probably have a better idea than me what you get for that money these days.

I played a couple recently in-store. One was a California jazzer and the other was similar with humbuckers. They felt great, necks were fast and the sound was punchier than I was expecting.

I was really there trying out another bass that was half the price but trying the Sandburgs just highlighted the gulf in quality.

I don't have much experience playing basses over the £1000 so can't compare it with others but they felt good to me.

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1345385957' post='1776924']
I played a couple recently in-store. One was a California jazzer and the other was similar with humbuckers. They felt great, necks were fast and the sound was punchier than I was expecting.

I was really there trying out another bass that was half the price but trying the Sandburgs just highlighted the gulf in quality.

I don't have much experience playing basses over the £1000 so can't compare it with others but they felt good to me.
[/quote]

(not directed to you btw, just a general thought)
I think it's a good idea to play as many basses as you can, in as many price ranges- and with an open mind.
Judging them on feel/playability and tone.
What I realised is that some basses are hideously overpriced, and some very very much underpriced for what you are getting. (the cravat being yes maybe the bad ones were really actually good and just badly set up and I was too daft to notice that and don't worry I won't say anything bad about your particular favourite bass.... ;) )
So something like the Tanglewood/overwater are far higher quality and tone than the price suggests. And Stingrays I would say are bang on quality/price wise... It's only when you play things with $8000 list prices that you start to see the top end of what could be possible with a bass... and that helps work out if your £1000 is worth spending.

Good thinking, I'm already having great fun trying different basses and am happy with the ones I have but am always keen to try something different. I must admit that I don't usually try the real high end stuff as my uses will never justify spending that sort of money.
Already well impressed with TRBs, Spector, Overwaters G&L's, not to mention a nice Squire/Fender that played far better than its price tag suggested it should.

Re: Sandburg I just thought I ought put my playing experience in context