Why become a member? ×

A Question For Markbass LMIII Owners

Pete Academy

I have an LMK head and only ever had the issue of the power amp cutting out when it either overheated in it's rack case or had dodgy power from the venue - I suspect it was the latter. Interesting thing was that the preamp and DI sections were unaffected and thankfully I was playing in a band with a decent monitor system that night.

Where did you get it from? If it was Thomann, have a look at this email I got sent from a company over here which offered a price matching service. They couldn't get anywhere near the Thomann price but sent me this. I dont know whether its a ploy to scare people away from Thomann or if there is something in it

[Quote]Hi Andy,

details are as follows:

Markbass write clearly on their website and in the user manuals the following information. (this is taken directly from the product page for the Little Mark III Head).

“Markbass amps/combos are manufactured to be sold and used in the country of purchase, and they are factory preset to that country’s voltage.
Due to homologation issues, the voltage may not be changed.”

What does this means in practice?

1. Markbass amplifiers are designed for the country they are sold in. For Europe the voltage in the UK and EU (Germany/France) is slightly different. Markbass does make different models for UK and EU zone, and these can be tracked by serial number.

1. If a customer uses a lower voltage EU model in the UK, there is a risk, the amp can suffer a power failure. These failures cannot be treated as warranty repairs as there is a clear notice in the user manual warning not to use them outside of country of supply. Also, depending on the nature of the damage, the amp will have to be returned to the country of origin for service – most likely by the customer in consultation with the supplying dealer.

1. Markbass will not supply us or our UK service agents with parts for amps that are not UK electronic spec. (Clearly for power safety reasons)

1. This does mean that amps bought from European mainland dealers should not be used in the UK, and if they suffer a power failure will have to be returned to the shop from where it was purchased to be serviced.

1. If you are wondering about musicians who come to the UK with their Markbass equipment. We have procedures in place for touring artists. Please contact us if you get a call about this from someone. [/Quote]

just a thought (fueled by a few beers!)

1. If you are wondering about musicians who come to the UK with their Markbass equipment. We have procedures in place for touring artists. Please contact us if you get a call about this from someone.

Ask them about that Andy and see why they come back with :)

I've brought my amp into the shop today and tried it plugged into a New York 804 cab. I set the input gain high and twatted the strings, especially the low B, causing the blue clip light to come on constantly. The amp never cut out. I'm totally confused.

Live I use 2 x New York 604 cabs. I use Monster speaker cables and a Monster bass guitar cable.

Any suggestions? :huh:

Yes, I got sold that line to when I bought my LMII 4 years ago from mainland Europe and its never missed a beat. The voltage thing is a red herring, as someone else has said, our voltage here can vary considerably. Its even possible to convert a US 110V MB to UK voltage by just moving some wires so i don't think the voltage regulator ( for want of a more technical term) is market unique.

Re the cutting out, I think its a known issue, I remember a huge thread on Talkbass some years ago when MB first hit the US

I remember reading something about this on Talkbass and if I remember correctly it was something to do with using two cabs and the overall impedance being less than 4 ohms. Even though the nominal impedance of each cab might be 8 ohms, if it is slightly less ( say 7.5 ohms ) this can cause this problem.

Hopefully someone who knows more about this stuff than I do can confirm or deny this.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1345200028' post='1774829']
Just another thought. When I connect my two cabs, I use the speakon output for one cab and the jack out for the other. Is this OK to do?
[/quote]

Perfectly fine.

It might be an issue with the amount of power you're getting from the venue?

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1345200028' post='1774829']
Just another thought. When I connect my two cabs, I use the speakon output for one cab and the jack out for the other. Is this OK to do?
[/quote]

Should not be the issue since they are wired in parallel, it could well be a faulty speaker lead though as already suggested.