Why become a member? ×

I need advice and or someone elses opinion

Novak

I have two things on my whishlist around the same price rage and im not sure what to get first.[list=1]
[*]Replacing my currant Fender Jazz bass's pickups with a [size=4]Bartolini Jazz Bass Set [/size]
[*]Buying Flea Bass Model 32
[/list]
And as you can probably tell by now im looking for a Flea sound but im not sure what will capture it more.
Any advice?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1344504193' post='1765450']
Just my 2p, but I think Bartolini pickups and pre amp sounds better than Fender's, and you'll never sound like Flea so get the best sound you can and sound like you.
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1344504193' post='1765450']
Just my 2p, but I think Bartolini pickups and pre amp sounds better than Fender's, and you'll never sound like Flea so get the best sound you can and sound like you.
[/quote]

Yep..agree about Barts..and the Flea thing has sailed and he is the best at sounding like him so leave that alone, IMO.

I could also add..why would you want to sound like Flea..but that is a whole new set of posts..!!! but seriously, study him, take the best bits that you like about his style and add it to your own...there is very little mileage in cloning someone else...

got to say, i love flea, and those modulus's have a really cool meaty sound. but i dont think getting a flea bass is the way to go to get that sound. he doesnt use them that much, and when he does, they are probably pretty well equiped, and the pick of the bunch i would think.

upgrade your jazz bass. remember he used a stack knob jazz for stadium arcadium, and also for most of the stadium arcadium tour. if he can acheive a flea sound with a jazz bass, so can you! (disregarding that he is flea, and what he decides to play dictates what a flea sound is).

Meh - endorsements by artists are usually on pretty average basses. The reviews on these have been really negative. I have tried the Geddy Lee Jazz and that looked great but only just sounded like a bass and the Marcus Miller Jazz bass sounds pretty weak too.

Do your own thing.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1344813978' post='1769689']
I've yet to hear anything good about the fleabasses review-wise. Especially for the money! Could easily get an OLP or better for the same cash
[/quote]
I have put up a pretty positive review of the Fleabass here. I bought one for some fun, and was pleasantly surprised with the fit and finish! The bridge is great, smooth, fast, thin neck, funky sound! Only negative is there is a hiss from the pots when the treble is up! For 200e I was pleased. It's also fun to play!

The early ones had a BAD rep for QC, but the later models seem to be sorted! Got mine from Thomann.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1344498879' post='1765337']

:blink:
[/quote]

Grey hairs already charic? We should all chip in to send you to a spa, we didn't realize how stressful it was being a mod ;)

Novak, what amp/cab/pedals are you playing through? Don't forget, that's half the equation. You could play Flea's own bass through a different amp and not sound like him at all, are you sure you don't need to upgrade some gear before the bass?

Also, how low is the action on your current bass? Have you put a lot of effort into working on your technique to sound like Flea too?