Why become a member? ×

Changing the sound of a Jazz bridge pickup

The Dark Lord

I have a couple of basses which have a Jazz bridge pickup. One of them is a 2010 black/maple USA Standard Jazz with stock pickups. The other is a 1999 USA Hot Rodded black/maple - which has a Seymour Duncan SJB-1 in the bridge position.

On both of these basses, I don't like the sound of the bridge pickup. It's just too plinky for me. I would never consider using it on its own. On the 2010 Jazz, I end up using just the neck pickup. On the P/J, I do the same ..... which defeats the object of a P/J. It's not an amp thing - as it has been an issue with me through all of the amps that I've used and my current backline is real top notch gear.

I'm getting the P/J rewired to allow independent tone/volume control for each of the pickups. This will allow me to roll the treble off that one and see how it goes. I might do the same with the Jazz bass.

Or does anyone have any suggestions? A pickup change to a really warm sounding bridge unit (in which case I might change both pickups to maintain a matching set)?

I fully realise that it may well be that the sound is fine to most ears and just might be to my personal taste. I am a committed Precision wielder of the whomping willow variety.

Is this Jazz bridge pickup a common issue?

Edited by The Dark Lord

I'm the same with my Ibby. It's a PJ config & I have it blended with just a small amount of Bridge P/U.
I find the Bridge p/u lacks body & depth, even with the tone rolled off it's not got much bass compared to the Neck p/u.
I suppose it would sit well in the mix for more funk or punk based stuff where you might want more plink.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1344259176' post='1761795']
I wonder if you'd be happier with flat-wound strings. A bit less zing.
[/quote]

Hmmmm. A suggestion out of left field. Interesting. As a committed disciple of the "Great Lord of all Things Black" without whom, we are all nothing but worthless backing musicians for the six string guitar players ....... I find it difficult, nay sacrilege, to use anything other than Rotosound roundwounds. However, I am about to change the OEM bronze thingies on my Fender Kingman acoustic bass and was considering flats for that.

Pass Go and collect £200.

My question is, if you're a through and through P player, why have the Jazz pickup? Aren't you as well just writing it off and having just a standard Precision? I mean, you can say you've given the Jazz pup a go and you're not happy so just resort back to what you know that you love?

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1344261766' post='1761851']
My question is, if you're a through and through P player, why have the Jazz pickup? Aren't you as well just writing it off and having just a standard Precision? I mean, you can say you've given the Jazz pup a go and you're not happy so just resort back to what you know that you love?
[/quote]

Yep. This is a logical solution. However, rather than be single-minded about it, I did try to be versatile. I have four basses now .... a P, a P/J, a Jazz .... all of which are USA .... and I also have one of those cool Fender Kingman acoustics.

I thought that would make a logical and versatile spread of devices. But chopping them all in and going for a row of Ps on the wall is an option.

I'd like to resolve the pickup issue - but if I can't, I'm off down the shops and stopping at the bit where all the black ones hang.

I like Jazz basses but prefer the ones with the bridge pup further away from the bridge, i think thats a 60's position or something like that. To my ears the pup sounds a bit fuller and more usable. Not an option though, just thought i'd give my view (and agreement) on the topic.

I wonder if a humbucking jazz pup would be a workable solution. They are supposed to have a slightly full tone.

Edited by dave_bass5

I've had a few jazz basses over the years and tend to run them both vols max and adjust tone pot to suit. Used mainly in rock bands with that set up.
I like the bridge pup for nice sharp mid sounding jazz but can't say i've ever felt the bridge pup was weak in any way. It just has a different tone which appeals to some and not others.
I guess as pointed out previously you're not happy with it then maybe best to look at the Precision option rather than waste time and money on a project that might or probably won't give you the end result you are hoping for.

Is there anyone out there who could let you try a Jazz with different pick ups - maybe some nice fellow BC'er who has already gone down this route.

Hope you find what you are looking for
Dave

I rarely play on the bridge pickup only unless I'm feeling a bit Jaco.

However, I'll add some bridge pickup in sometimes because it scoops the sound somewhat... although it can then start to get lost in the mix. But for me it's like another tone control.

It sounds like you're more of a Precision man so probably easier to go that route.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1344274077' post='1762097']
Tomastik Infeld flats are certainly worth trying. They aren't zingy like rounds, but have a good range into the upper mids.

However, I don't find they bring back the depth to the J pick up. It's still plinky.
[/quote]

One of my Precisions came with TI flats. I found the tension on those a bit weird. Felt a bit like rubber bands. Bu I might give them a try on my acoustic bass first.

After reading this (and having the same problems in the past) I would agree with dincz. I changed to flats on my '62 RI and it's so much warmer and has more thump but still keeps all of the things I like about the traditional jazz tone.

Try it. You can always swap back with minimal effort (unlike switching pickups etc)

:)

Hope you work it out though!

I had an Aerodyne Jazz, and replaced the stock pickup for a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack. Was a lot "bigger" in the sound, due to being a humbucking pickup.

However, this may be a case of contacting Wizzard Pickups, and asking them for some input. Apparently they are very good at dealing with these types of enquiries.

Additionally, as you`re already getting independent tone controls for each pickup, see if you can get a pot with a lower rating - dunno if they make 200s (stock are usually 250) but may be worth a go.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1344280300' post='1762254']
One of my Precisions came with TI flats. I found the tension on those a bit weird. Felt a bit like rubber bands. Bu I might give them a try on my acoustic bass first.
[/quote]

I went from Dr Strings Peacocks (zingy rounds) to the TI Jazz & was expecting a looser tension, but there's nothing in it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1344289962' post='1762440']
Take out the bridge pickup, put in a neck pickup instead. You've already got all the wiring, the only problem is your pickup is in the wrong place.

You're welcome. :)
[/quote]

Aren't they different sizes?

I think the problem is the position of the pickup anyway.

I've got a Wizard 84 in the bridge position of my (coincidentally black/maple) P/J, and it's the only bridge pickup I've ever considered using solo. I still don't, because I've got a Wizard Thumper in the neck position, but it makes a more effective contribution than many bridge P/J pickups I've heard. Great pickups.

I am thinking of changing the control plate in my Jazz to the old style 2 x concentric pots ..... which will give me separate volume and tone control for each of the pickups.

Then I guess I can play with both pickups with full volume, but with the tone rolled back on the bridge, but leave the neck pickup with full-bore volume and tone. I find the single tone control on there a bit of a drag - as, for my sound preferences, the neck pickup needs full tone, but the bridge doesn't.

I wonder why the great Fender moved away from that 2 x concentric config anyway ..... as surely the modern VVT config gives less flexibility?

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1344414083' post='1763970']
I am thinking of changing the control plate in my Jazz to the old style 2 x concentric pots ..... which will give me separate volume and tone control for each of the pickups.

Then I guess I can play with both pickups with full volume, but with the tone rolled back on the bridge, but leave the neck pickup with full-bore volume and tone. I find the single tone control on there a bit of a drag - as, for my sound preferences, the neck pickup needs full tone, but the bridge doesn't.

I wonder why the great Fender moved away from that 2 x concentric config anyway ..... as surely the modern VVT config gives less flexibility?
[/quote]

Hi mate,

You mension you want two separate tone contols, one for each pickup! ..
well the two tone controls on the old concentric passive jazz bass don't work independently of each other! they interact, this is because they are connected in parallel by the single jack socket.. which also kinda renders the need for two redundant.. and probably answers your question why they didn't last long with Fender!

Edited by EddyGlee