Why become a member? ×

Metallica using a mutron???

Damonjames

It's mentioned here, but there are no dates.

[url="http://www.encycmet.com/equipment/jasoneq.shtml"]http://www.encycmet....t/jasoneq.shtml[/url]

Edit: Found it:

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"For Load, I used a Boss Flanger, an MXR Phase 100, a Mu-Tron, a Korg G5 Bass Synth Processor, and an original Electro-Harmonix Big Muff with the 'pi' symbol on it. ""

[url="http://www.freewebs.com/jasonfan/racksandeffects.htm"]http://www.freewebs....sandeffects.htm[/url][/font][/size]

Edited by bluejay

I lost interest after Load. I recently found a "limited edition" copy of The Muff album (aka Death Magnetic) for a fiver and bought it, but I could only tolerate listening to it once. Shame, as Rob Trujillo is a good bassist - although IMO not a patch on the style and cool of Cliff and/or Jason.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1344431889' post='1764351']
I lost interest after Load. I recently found a "limited edition" copy of The Muff album (aka Death Magnetic) for a fiver and bought it, but I could only tolerate listening to it once. Shame, as Rob Trujillo is a good bassist - although IMO not a patch on the style and cool of Cliff and/or Jason.
[/quote]

I liked Death Magnetic! I do have issues with the mix though - the bass is far too low and the whole thing is comically mastered. But we all know that already. I just picked up a recent EP of tracks that didn't make the album, apparently it's quite good. Only $2 too.

Can you elaborate on why it's known as the Muff album? I have my theories... ;)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1344513265' post='1765665']
I liked Death Magnetic! I do have issues with the mix though - the bass is far too low and the whole thing is comically mastered. But we all know that already. I just picked up a recent EP of tracks that didn't make the album, apparently it's quite good. Only $2 too.

Can you elaborate on why it's known as the Muff album? I have my theories... ;)
[/quote]

I liked the songs on Death Magnetic as well. Just awful production work though. The constant snare clipping makes listening on headphones an almost impossible task.

Ok, let's say I can listen to DM, whilst I can't bring myself to even put St Anger into the CD player...

Re: the muff - sarcastic description of the album's horrid cover depicting a coffin with magnetic dust arranged around it. Not the most refined put-down, I agree, but I'm not the one who coined it.

The vinyl master of DM wasn't too bad, shame the songs were awful.
All of them were overly long with enough endings to put The Return of the King to shame...

I liked St Anger more, shorter songs and no solos. Shame about the no snare snare.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1344514532' post='1765720']
Re: the muff - sarcastic description of the album's horrid cover depicting a coffin with magnetic dust arranged around it. Not the most refined put-down, I agree, but I'm not the one who coined it.
[/quote]

I thought as much!

FWIW, I love St Anger. Mark my words, in years to come it will be re-evaluated as a misunderstood masterpiece :lol:

There are some interesting bits to St Anger, but I can't take it as any kind of masterpiece for the following reasons.

1. The drums
2. Overly compressed and layered guitars which go against the ' raw' sound they tried to capture with the drums
3. Singing that is at times woefully out of key 'Ooooooohhhh what a good boy you are'. Well, 'its a raw production' you think, but then...
4. Multi-layered tracks of vocals, harmonising with out of tune singing!
5. Awful, cringe-inducing lyrics 'Frantic, tic tic, tic, tic, tic tock'
6. Tracks that are generally slabs of riff sections sandwiched together with no melodic development whatsoever.
7. The drums

With all that said, it is probably the Metallica album I have listened to the most, just to see if I was missing something. After 9 years, I am quite convinced that it is still not very good. The first two minutes of Some Kind of Monster are great and that is about it.

There's me thinking reload is probably the worst album they did. I remember once when they played Wembley arena
for the first time. (Think it was an added date on the justice tour)anyway, the sound was muddy at best.
Jason played a pretty Inaudible solo,which sounded like a buffalo being slaughtered.

Jason was awesome in every other gig I saw him in tho'.

As for cliff, I asked him about his sound. He just said 'get a phaser' ,)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1344579391' post='1766586']
There's me thinking reload is probably the worst album they did. I remember once when they played Wembley arena
for the first time. (Think it was an added date on the justice tour)anyway, the sound was muddy at best.
Jason played a pretty Inaudible solo,which sounded like a buffalo being slaughtered.

Jason was awesome in every other gig I saw him in tho'.

As for cliff, I asked him about his sound. He just said 'get a phaser' ,)
[/quote]

Reload should have been scrapped - it appears to contain songs that didn't make it on to Load... :unsure:

As for Cliff... maybe "get a sound engineer that knows how to set bass guitar levels correctly in the mix"? [See also AJFA, of course, et al.]

- Edited cos I've just realised the previous wording made it look like Cliff played on AJFA. -

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1344547118' post='1766387']
There are some interesting bits to St Anger, but I can't take it as any kind of masterpiece for the following reasons.

1. The drums
2. Overly compressed and layered guitars which go against the ' raw' sound they tried to capture with the drums
3. Singing that is at times woefully out of key 'Ooooooohhhh what a good boy you are'. Well, 'its a raw production' you think, but then...
4. Multi-layered tracks of vocals, harmonising with out of tune singing!
5. Awful, cringe-inducing lyrics 'Frantic, tic tic, tic, tic, tic tock'
6. Tracks that are generally slabs of riff sections sandwiched together with no melodic development whatsoever.
7. The drums

With all that said, it is probably the Metallica album I have listened to the most, just to see if I was missing something. After 9 years, I am quite convinced that it is still not very good. The first two minutes of Some Kind of Monster are great and that is about it.
[/quote]

Perhaps masterpiece was pushing it a bit... But I still think it's their most interesting album. James' primal scream in a lot of ways, and far, far better than exercises in water-treading like Reload.

I think it's main fault is that it's too long, a couple of songs could have cheerfully been lost (Invisible Kid comes to mind). But it seems to be Metallica's way now to insist of filling every available second on a CD.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1344593471' post='1766767']
As for Cliff... maybe "get a sound engineer that knows how to set bass guitar levels correctly in the mix"? [See also AJFA, of course, et al.]
[/quote]

That was all down to Hetfield.

He told the engineer to "take the bass down until it's only just audible, then take it down 3dB more."

EDIT 2: Didn't get it quite right:
"Newsted himself was less than happy with the results, later remarking, “The Justice album wasn’t something that really felt good for me, because you really can’t hear the bass.”
Flemming Rasmussen agrees: “It’s inaudible. Jason, Toby and I are probably the only people who know what the bass parts actually sounded like on that album, and that’s down to Lars and James. I didn’t mix Justice — Steve Thompson and Mike Barbiero were already hired to do that before I became involved with the project, and after [b]Lars and James heard their initial mixes the first thing they said was, ‘Take the bass down so you can just hear it, and then once you’ve done that take it down a further 3dBs.’[/b] I have no idea why they wanted that, but it was totally out of my hands, and I didn’t even know about it until the album had been released. When I heard it, I went, ‘What?’ I wasn’t too keen on it, either.”"

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may11/articles/classic-tracks-0511.htm"]http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may11/articles/classic-tracks-0511.htm[/url]

EDIT: I was always surprised that Newsted stuck it out as long as he did. I also wonder if ol' Robbie T has a term of employment in his contract. To me he's just a hired gun.

Edited by bartelby

This thread has taken a turn.... But I like where it's going! The Metallica journey is one I look back on with some interest, let's face it the sound was destined to never be the same once cliff passed away. He had a very distinct sound, and despite what some people on these forums may say I think he was one of the greatest bass players of the modern rock/metal era. He showed us low end guys and girls that you can share the spotlight and wail, not just stand in the shadows by a dull old 8x10 playing quarter notes.
As for albums, I think they are all good in their own way, st anger is the one I struggle with the most, some kind of monster is a rockin track though. DM is an awesome album, I think it an old school metal album with some new school sounds. All nightmare long is a belter!
I might ad that I think Jason is an absolute powerhouse and rate him massively and rob I think is a great mix of the two and is a great fit for 'tallica. Can't wait for their next album!!!

I really hope their next output is significantly better than anything they've done of late. I love Metallica, and grew up listening to (and transcribing) Cliff's lines. I learned loads from sitting in my bedroom with a cassette walkman and my bass (ah, nostalgia), sadly though, they seem to be less than choosy about the material that they release over the last ten years - compare the songwriting (and production) on anything pre 'Load' and it becomes pretty clear that they aren't the band they once were, which is a shame, as I remember them fondly from my youth, and I'd really like a GREAT album from them again.

As has been said this thread has gone of topic!

Havent there been enough threads about ppl slagging of metallica? Theres always been atleast two songs on there recent albums that ive liked even on st anger.

Personally im a big rob fan i really do think he fits for me better than jason! I know that will start an arguement!

But maybe we should go back to finding when jason used a mutron!?

Andy