Why become a member? ×

Stranglers Bass Effects?

Mr Fretbuzz

Creating a JJB growl can be difficult, but an NY baseball cap, some Reebok trainers and an Adidas shell suit should get you close.

Seriously though, it's been covered above, valve guitar heads through knackered speakers, via a pick and a Fender Precision. That's all as far as I'm aware.

He seems to do a good job these days with his Ashdown setup (lovely amps those JJ500s), so don't go ripping your speakers.

As BRX says, the most important factor is the man himself.

Edited by bartelby

Ok,THE JJ Burnel classic rig:

Unique 58 ( I think ) hand painted green sunburst rosewood fingerboard Fender P with Rotosounds
50w HiWatt guitar head
Marshall 2 x 15
Marshall 4 x 12 with knackered speakers

MONSTEROUS amounts of compression in the studio

And,as has been rightly pointed out by many,
JJ Burnell.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343984209' post='1758106']
Unfortunately you are all forgetting one of the most important ingredients to the sound: JJ Burnel himself.
[/quote]

Actually, they didn't reveal what they had or had not forgotten. I would assume it's fairly known by now that the musician does have some input to the sound, so we can safely omit repeating that tidbit of shared knowledge every other sentence.

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1343982115' post='1758046']
Ace, I've got a P so I'll put my boot through my practice amp tonight :-D
[/quote]

Won't get you there. You forget ( ;) ) the most important bit: his half sawn through, oscillating neck!
Borrow my tools?

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

I can get a reasonable approximation of the JJ sound - which works for me at least - using a P Bass through a Line 6 X3 Live floorboard. I use a crystal clean sound on either of my amps and put (strangely) the Ampeg SVT and 8x10 emulation through it with an off-axis SM57 (again emulated via the Line 6). Then I add a managed amount of gain on the amp simulation and a barely noticeable touch of emulated Boss Digital Delay (or an actual DD6 Pedal). But hardly anything on that there delay. Finally, a touch of compression to make it all a less "hairy arsed" - again using the emulated compression. Works for me. A lot of tweaking and listening over a whole afternoon by myself at home got it there - and I saved the setting for ever more. Some bloke said I made Tainted Love sound like Peaches. I bought him a pint.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1344267610' post='1761967']
reasonable approximation of the JJ sound[/quote]

Wow! That was one great read. Dunno why, but my ears were all red listening to you explain this. For the fun of it, I'll see what I can do with the Zoom while using your recipe. If it doesn't work, I'll just put a boot in the MAG, a boot in the Zoom, and a boot in the B2B. Must work.

Thanks!

best,
bert

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1344276522' post='1762166']
I'm surprised no one has made an FX pedal with a "ripped speaker" setting yet.
[/quote]

Wow! Great idea!
Calling Hugh McKenna! Calling Hugh McKenna! Can Mr. Hugh McKenna build a [b]Myrtle Ripped Cone[/b], please?

I recall JJB being interviewed about 'the Barracuda bass sound'. He also said that a lot of it had to do with that green-glo P-bass and how, looking for a back-up, he'd tried dozens before he found one that sounded close to it.. Must go visit [i]Rattus Norvegicus[/i] just to here that tone as I remember it!