Why become a member? ×

JV Squier 1983 Precision Fretless Ebony Board EMGs SOLD

ash

This is my modded JV Precision, it's an '83 model made in Japan ofcourse and has all the ID stamps on the body, neck butt, etc, plus the usual Fender stamped shim in the neck pocket. I bought this because it has such a lovely neck and at the time I hadn't played a decent fretless before. The board is unlined ebony and has dots on the side to indicate the marker positions - not each fret, I have found it an easy bass to play and very intuitive. The second mod is that the original pickups have been replaced with EMGs with a matching Jazz pickup at the bridge. The electrics are a simple volume, volume, tone - the active pickups really bring out the fretless 'mwar' sound beloved of Jaco, Pino, et al.
Like all the JV series construction is second to none with excellent balance and a light weight. The bass has the usual JV hardware - reverse tuners, threaded bridge, extra strap button behind the headstock. The scratch plate is a replacement as when I bought it it had a horrible home made one on it and non matching controls. The neck plate has the JV serial stamped on it. Condition wise it has quite a few dings and scrapes and where the Jazz pickup was routed there was a chunk out of the wood subsequently filled and varnished in an attempt to disguise it. It doesn't detract from the overall 'vibe' of the instrument and it could be quite honestly called 'road worn' without being near an over zealous belt sander! The back of the neck is beautifully figured and has barely a mark on it.
This is a great sounding instrument and very easy to play but presently neglected so I'd like to gauge interest in a potential sale to perhaps free up some cash. I'm looking at £395 and am not interested in trades as I really need to trim down my collection of gear!

Edited by ash

[quote name='Sambrook' timestamp='1343679160' post='1753661']
That's rather lovely! What are the neck dimensions (width and depth)?
[/quote]

It measures 42mm width at the nut and 18mm deep, cheers it is a nice instrument.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1343758599' post='1754801']
Very nice!
[/quote]
Thanks it's a class bass but not getting the attention it deserves, I'm open to sensible offers but sorry no trades unless someone has a nice Moog Minitaur or Prodigy.....;)

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1343764419' post='1754963']
Thanks it's a class bass but not getting the attention it deserves, I'm open to sensible offers but sorry no trades unless someone has a nice Moog Minitaur or Prodigy..... ;)
[/quote] I have a copy of 'music for the jilted generation' somewhere, any interest?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343768079' post='1755038']
I have a copy of 'music for the jilted generation' somewhere, any interest?
[/quote]

:) No thanks was always a bit wary of Keith ;)

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1343880732' post='1756751']
I think you should give this to me for free as a birthday present...

Just throwing that out there.

;)
[/quote]

You'd be very lucky mate.....
I'd do you a swap for your JV though :)

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1343923908' post='1757433']
You'd be very lucky mate.....
I'd do you a swap for your JV though :)
[/quote]

Well I didn't win anything on the Euro Millions so maybe my luck is about to change?? ;)

Sorry mate, my JV isn't going anywhere. I wouldn't sell that bass if I was homeless and starving! :P

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1343669294' post='1753447']
This is my modded JV Precision, it's an '83 model made in Japan ofcourse and has all the ID stamps on the body, neck butt, etc, plus the usual Fender stamped shim in the neck pocket. I bought this because it has such a lovely neck and at the time I hadn't played a decent fretless before. The board is unlined ebony and has dots on the side to indicate the marker positions - not each fret, I have found it an easy bass to play and very intuitive. The second mod is that the original pickups have been replaced with EMGs with a matching Jazz pickup at the bridge. The electrics are a simple volume, volume, tone - the active pickups really bring out the fretless 'mwar' sound beloved of Jaco, Pino, et al.
Like all the JV series construction is second to none with excellent balance and a light weight. The bass has the usual JV hardware - reverse tuners, threaded bridge, extra strap button behind the headstock. The scratch plate is a replacement as when I bought it it had a horrible home made one on it and non matching controls. The neck plate has the JV serial stamped on it. Condition wise it has quite a few dings and scrapes and where the Jazz pickup was routed there was a chunk out of the wood subsequently filled and varnished in an attempt to disguise it. It doesn't detract from the overall 'vibe' of the instrument and it could be quite honestly called 'road worn' without being near an over zealous belt sander! The back of the neck is beautifully figured and has barely a mark on it.
This is a great sounding instrument and very easy to play but presently neglected so I'd like to gauge interest in a potential sale to perhaps free up some cash. I'm looking at £450 and am not interested in trades as I really need to trim down my collection of gear!
[/quote]
I like this a lot! Can you tell me what the first mod is? What am I missing? If the second mod is the pick ups? Sorry if I'm being thick but I keep reading it & don't get it :blink: :unsure:

Oh yeah - where's the battery fitted?

Cheerz, John

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1343927044' post='1757478']

I like this a lot! Can you tell me what the first mod is? What am I missing? If the second mod is the pick ups? Sorry if I'm being thick but I keep reading it & don't get it :blink: :unsure:

Oh yeah - where's the battery fitted?

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

Hiya John,

The first mod is the fretboard, as to my knowledge there weren't any factory fretless JVs. I bought it like this and it had been professionally fitted years back. The battery is under the scratch plate in the control cavity and is held in place with foam. The EMGS pots are slightly smaller so it fits quite snugly.

Cheers