Why become a member? ×

Mark King now signed to Rotosound

dave31kdrums

Rotosound Press Release
[font=Arial]Mark King, founder, lead singer and bassist with legendary band Level 42 is back with Rotosound and will be using their Swing Bass and Super Bronze strings on forthcoming ‘[i]Running in The Family @ 25[/i]’ UK and European tour later this year.[/font]
[font=Arial] [/font]
[font=Arial]With thirty million record sales across the world, eighteen albums and twenty top forty hits Level 42 are widely regarded as one of most influential UK bands. As part of the 25[sup]th[/sup] anniversary of the release of their seminal album ‘Running in the Family’ (RITF), Universal Music are also re-releasing the RITF as a box set including an acoustic version of the album where Mark used Rotosound Super Bronze strings. [/font]
[font=Arial] [/font]
[font=Arial]Mark will be using Rotosound Swing Bass FM66’s in the 30 to 90 gauge range. Introduced in 1962, the Swing Bass strings have used by some of the highest profile, most respected bass playing icons over the last fifty years including The Who’s John Entwhistle, Duff McKagan (Guns ‘n’ Roses) Geddy Lee (Rush) and Noel Redding (Jimi Hendrix) to name but a few.[/font]
[font=Arial] [/font]
[font=Arial]For his acoustic guitar, Mark has chosen to play Rotosound’s Super Bronze for their bright sound, increased volume and longer sustain. The strings were pioneered by the founder of Rotosound, James How and are today used by many top artists including Walter Trout and Bob Geldof. [/font]
[font=Arial] [/font]
[font=Arial]Rotosound manufactures all Swing Bass and Super Bronze strings using only the finest materials with their own unique state of the art production processes. Want to know more? Visit [url="http://www.rotosound.com/"]http://www.rotosound.com/[/url] to learn more about and buy Swing Bass and Super Bronze Strings. To find out more about the ‘Running In the Family @ 25’ tour visit [url="http://www.level42.com/events/"]http://www.level42.com/events/[/url][/font]

[font=Arial]Posted by Dave Phillips, Rotosound PR[/font]

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1343323467' post='1749009']
Got a free set of swing bass strings a few months ago from Mr Howe. Put then on my Jazz the other day they sound great! Low tension and lots of TWANG.
[/quote]

Likewise, except they went on my EBMM Stingray. Great sounds.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1343323776' post='1749017']
Given the way endorsements are going at the moment, EVERY endorsee will be playing

Rotosound strings on Warwick basses through Hartke amps.... ;)
[/quote]

Meanwhile, everyone else will sound great :lol:

Used Roto's for the first few years of playing. They sound pretty good, but I stopped using them because the brightness fell off very quickly. I don't have an acoustic bass anymore, but I always bought the bronze acoustic strings. Great value for money and very easy to get hold of compared to other brands.

[quote name='dave31kdrums' timestamp='1343321576' post='1748973']
Rotosound Press Release
[font=Arial]Mark King, founder, lead singer and bassist with legendary band Level 42 is back with Rotosound and will be using their Swing Bass and Super Bronze strings on forthcoming ‘[i]Running in The Family @ 25[/i]’ UK and European tour later this year.[/font]

[font=Arial]With thirty million record sales across the world, eighteen albums and twenty top forty hits Level 42 are widely regarded as one of most influential UK bands. As part of the 25[sup]th[/sup] anniversary of the release of their seminal album ‘Running in the Family’ (RITF), Universal Music are also re-releasing the RITF as a box set including an acoustic version of the album where Mark used Rotosound Super Bronze strings. [/font]

[font=Arial]Mark will be using Rotosound Swing Bass FM66’s in the 30 to 90 gauge range. Introduced in 1962, the Swing Bass strings have used by some of the highest profile, most respected bass playing icons over the last fifty years including The Who’s John Entwhistle, Duff McKagan (Guns ‘n’ Roses) Geddy Lee (Rush) and Noel Redding (Jimi Hendrix) to name but a few.[/font]

[font=Arial]For his acoustic guitar, Mark has chosen to play Rotosound’s Super Bronze for their bright sound, increased volume and longer sustain. The strings were pioneered by the founder of Rotosound, James How and are today used by many top artists including Walter Trout and Bob Geldof. [/font]

[font=Arial]Rotosound manufactures all Swing Bass and Super Bronze strings using only the finest materials with their own unique state of the art production processes. Want to know more? Visit [url="http://www.rotosound.com/"]http://www.rotosound.com/[/url] to learn more about and buy Swing Bass and Super Bronze Strings. To find out more about the ‘Running In the Family @ 25’ tour visit [url="http://www.level42.com/events/"]http://www.level42.com/events/[/url][/font]

[font=Arial]Posted by Dave Phillips, Rotosound PR[/font]
[/quote]

I think Mark's missing a knob on that Kingbass... ;) ;)

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1343327094' post='1749065']
Used Roto's for the first few years of playing. They sound pretty good, but I stopped using them because the brightness fell off very quickly.
[/quote]

Same here - though I used 'em for decades - and I switched to Warwick Reds around four years back. The RS66 has, purportedly, been improved upon to keep the zing but I've yet to experience this.

I tried that .030-.090 Funkmaster set back in the mid '80s and found them useless in that they were waay too light and gave no definition whatsoever. I went back to .035s and, eventually, up to .040-.095 where I have stayed to this day.

I know this is a cliche, but I liked their earlier stuff, up to and including (parts of) True Colours. Anythign after that, i can't handle. Saw 'em on the World Machine tour with a (literally) blinding lightshow and knew I was over 'em. Wish MK all the best, though. Like him or not, he did push slap-bass into the mainstream. Unfortunately, that also included muso shops on a Saturday affy.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='far0n' timestamp='1343343085' post='1749411']
Mark King is a financial slag of sorts, who will frankly play anything if you're paying him enough. He's never sounded so bleedin rubbish as he does now.
[/quote]Don't quite agree with that , but I see where you're coming from .
I've sort of lost count of the amount of gear that bloke has endorsed in just the last few years .
As much as he's a monster player , and comes across as a really nice guy , this constant endorsment switching is becoming endemic - doesn't anyone seem to stay with a brand for more than 10 years ? (before anyone posts , I there's a few who do)

Edited by E sharp

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1343413218' post='1750481']

I've sort of lost count of the amount of gear that bloke has endorsed in just the last few years .
As much as he's a monster player , and comes across as a really nice guy , this constant endorsment switching is becoming endemic
[/quote]

Really? He's settled on Status basses after trying others over the years. Not sure how many others he actually endorsed. And did he endorse any strings before? He's gone from TE to Ashdown to TC Electronic amps over the years too but I'm not sure I'd call it 'constant endorsement switching'. Besides, as a professional musician, it will be part of your income really - especially someone with the profile of MK.

I for one can happily live with MK being a gear whore. Just think of all the used Try Sellingits, JayDee's, Ashdowns, Goodfellows, Stati etc that we've bought as they've been moved on by their first owners. Then there's the Alembics.

I think he should get a BC medal for services to gear addicts everywhere. Its his job, let him get on with it, and use the stuff that does what he needs at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I just think it's amusing that he's going to use these strings (or at least 'says' he is) on a headless bass and they don't even seem to be available in double ball end sets. Yes, I know that the single ball end sets can be anchored using the grub screws in the nut piece, but what a faff! I know what sort of string I'd rather use on a headless!

It does seem very strange to me that he's moved to Rotosound in favour of Status strings, particularly as Rob Green seems to constantly chuck gear in MK's direction. Just as long as he doesn't go back to Fender...

[quote name='bassmanbish' timestamp='1344342305' post='1763029']
I just think it's amusing that he's going to use these strings (or at least 'says' he is) on a headless bass and they don't even seem to be available in double ball end sets. Yes, I know that the single ball end sets can be anchored using the grub screws in the nut piece, but what a faff! I know what sort of string I'd rather use on a headless!

It does seem very strange to me that he's moved to Rotosound in favour of Status strings, particularly as Rob Green seems to constantly chuck gear in MK's direction. Just as long as he doesn't go back to Fender...
[/quote]

There's probably the next incarnation of the King Bass just around the corner, with head, to enable him to make use of the new strings. Of course, all the MK-ites will have to buy those, so I don't think Rob is losing any sleep.

I wonder how many people will start using Rotos because of Mark King? Unlike Mark King, most people don't have a fresh set of strings for each gig - which in my experience, is necessary with Rotos!