Why become a member? ×

Got a bonus from work!

Evil Undead

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1342798187' post='1741187']
The older you get the more you realise the P is already almost the king of tone, (Ray just knocks it off :P )
[/quote]

There you go! Save up and get a Stingray, and bypass the years of wandering in the bass wildernress! :lol:

If only I'd know, I could have saved thousands :(

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1342799459' post='1741234']
Very good. Then you can easily move it on when you realise you don't need a J-bass! :P ;)
*hides behind sofa with saucepan on head*
[/quote]
how many times have I bought a J and then sold it? :S

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1342786277' post='1740904']
I've never found a J pickup to blend well with a P; often I'll get a solo'd sound I like but it then vanishes in the mix. A MM seems to blend better...all this is a matter of taste of course.

[/quote]

Agree 100% with this. I added a J pickup to my 70s reissue P and it just doesn't seem to work. I end up using just the P. I think a Stingray type pickup just suits the P sound better.

I agree with everyone else, I wouldn't do it to that Bass.

However, if I really wanted to do what you want to do on a different Bass, going for versatility, I'd be more tempted to go with some kind of Humbucker that I could coil tap to get a Jazz sound if I wanted it. I feel that would be even more versatile.

I have a P/J Bass and I find they mix quite well. I even changed the Volume knob for the Jazz pickup to a Blend knob. Mostly for the sake of fiddling with it, but it works for me.

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1342789939' post='1740979']
+1

+1
Aye don't get your bass butchered!
Instead why not go for a 2nd hand Squier PJ Special if you really want to experiment?
I had one which I upgraded the pup's in and to be honest it still sounded crap, ended up playing it with the J pup turned off.
and yeah I'm older than 30. :)
[/quote]

Yup I did a similar thing-only I ended up diconnecting the J pup-only because it sounded weak on its own,
I've one the VMJ's now for that particular sound.
and I am older than 30 :lol:

Edited by LeftyBiskit

Another vote for leaving the P as standard.

Whilst I like the P/J pickup combination - mainly due to Duff McKagan - I`d never mod a bass to get this, but would happily buy one that was manufactured like it in the first place. Must be the sentimentalist side of me that thinks I`d be removing its identity.

Maybe it's specific comments, to your Precision and choice of J pickup, because I'm just not understanding this "you never use the J in a P/J set because it sounds wrong" argument. As someone who has used BB2000 and BB3000 among my main studio and live instruments since the '80s, and probably 90 per cent of the time has these set in the mid position, between P and J pickups, I think it's a much more colourful sound than a solo P. That said, I'm not one for modifying an instrument that works for me as is. I'd be more likely to buy another instrument to have a choice.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1342851498' post='1741818']
I'm a "neck-gripper" and seem to wear frets like nobody's business :/
[/quote]You're not Patricia Morrison in disguise are you? :)

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1342873189' post='1742142']
She hasn't aged well though...
[/quote]
Not clocked her for a decade or so, but she still looked fine to me in 2002.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1342873279' post='1742145']
And an underrated player,too.[/quote]
Agreed! Certainly not to be judged by that over produced Sisters of Mercy tripe.
Saw her with The Damned and she was no slouch.

Not heard much by The Gun Club tbh, but you're probably right about the Sisters stuff, Though Floodland does sound like it has bass on it, could be sampled though, they did like their synths.