Why become a member? ×

Nash Basses

paulmcnamara

[indent=1]I've been interested in Nash basses for a while now, and have almost purchased one on a few occasions. I've heard many reports both good and bad regarding their guitars and basses. Recently I read in these pages about a new London stockist, and having a rare trip to London planned, thought that there is really only one way to find out how these Nash basses sound: and that was to try one out myself. So I decided to stop off at Denmark Street at the new home of Nash guitars: Westside M.I. who are Nash distributors as well. After enquiring if they stocked Nash basses as well as guitars, I was taken down to the basement to the bass section, where to my surprise I found 8 Nash basses amongst the collection.[/indent]
[indent=1]I decided I’d like to try the one that hit me visually: an off-white Jazz with tort scratchplate. The first thing I noticed was it’s weight, it was heavy: guessing somewhere between 10 and 11 lbs. It was connected to a Mesa bass rig comprising of M Pulse 600 head and a 2 x 10 and 1 x 15 cabinet. I set the eq flat and proceeded to check out the JB 63 Nash bass, which as the model suggests is based on a 1963 Jazz bass. This one had been fitted with Di Marzio pick ups. The second thing I noticed was the action, which I found quite high. The bass felt good, it felt worn and comfortable, it was smooth and well balanced. It was finished extremely well in the heavy aging finish as stated by the tag. It looked good, in fact it looked great, very cool with the aged off white body and tort scratchplate. If there was a flaw in the look it the scratchplate itself which around the edges looked in pristine condition. The surface as well looked new except for the occasional surface scratch. Generally the aging looks the part, and feels right.[/indent]
[indent=1]So, what did she sound like? My first reaction was a bit dull. I experimented with the two pick up volumes and the tone control, but reducing the bass just left a thinner sound. I was able to change the tone with some adjustment on the amp.[/indent]
[indent=1]However, my overall feeling was that I was listening to strings and pick ups but not wood. The sound was without resonance, it felt flat and characterless. I was surprised also given the weight of the bass that the mass of wood was not more forthcoming in contributing to the sound of the bass. In fact I’m sure it was contributing to the sound of the bass; how could it not? But not in the way I would have liked. It wasn’t that the bass sounded awful or anything like that; no it just felt as if something was missing. My own reference points had been my own ’62 re issue Fender Jazz and a ’76 Fender Jazz, both of which have bags of woody tone.[/indent]
[indent=1]I decided to ask the assistant to let me try another Jazz. This time I chose a sunburst JB 63 fitted with Seymour Duncan pick ups.[/indent]
[indent=1]This had much the same feel although the aging was medium. Again it was heavy, and the action a little on the high side. It felt good and played well. Sound-wise it was different. It was brighter and capable of a larger tonal palette. I put this down to the pick ups, which could then be tweaked further on the amp.[/indent]
[indent=1]However I still felt that there was something missing in the tone department. And when I say missing, I mean missing at a really fundamental level. That real sense that every part of the instrument is important and integral to the overall sound. Sadly, I just didn’t have that feeling with either of these basses. For the money, and we are talking about £2400 for the former, and £2000 for the latter, there is much worthwhile competition from Fender Custom Shop, and the second hand market alike. Next time I think I’d like to hear the Nash Precisions to see if they fare any better.[/indent]

Edited by paulmcnamara

[url="http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47291"]Inside Nash[/url]... I've had 2 in my hands (a somewhat lookalike to a 1960 stackknob Jazz, and a somewhat lookalike to a 64 jazz). Basically it's just allparts with a nitro paintjob. Electronics were cheap (big Alpha pots, no shielding tubs in the cavities, the 60 just had an earthwire running underneath the bridge, not the brass strip going to the bridgepickup), and it didn't sound nice. I honestly CAN'T see why they should be so expensive, since a trained monkey can do what they do. On the plusside, the relic was "above average" in terms of realistic.

Edited by MrFingers

You want to look at Bravewood Guitars, the chap makes vintage fender relic'd instruments same as Nash except the necks are handmade to fit the body. If your paying up to £2k on a bolt on always make sure both parts are specifically made for eachother, otherwise you may as well keep trying out MIM Fenders until you get lucky!! Bravewood's sound great but the relic'ing looks very artificial, rub your arm on the nitro until it looks genuine otherwise it just appears speckly and crackled. The best ways to test bolt on basses is to hit the strings and feel the bottom of the guitar for resonance and also, to try pull offs on the higher frets acoustically and then check for sustain.

I had an aged CAR 63 Jazz by Nash. It sounded great but was a little heavy for me (more than 10lb). The aging was excellent on the nitro finish, which was quite beautiful, but I do think the parts weren't right. The tort scratchplate looked too new and not like a celluloid plate (it was too dark a brown colour, with little red in it) and for the life of me I don't know why Nash use white plastic dot markers on the fingerboard rather than (imitation) off-white clay dots. It was a nice bass and I think Stacker might still own it. That said, I paid about half the price of a new Nash and sold it on for the same. At around £1,000 I think it wasn't wrongly priced but over £2K is much too steep IMHO.

£2000 is a lot of pennys for a bitsa.

For that much I would buy my own parts from USACG and build it myself. Or wait, no I wouldn't I would go to one of the builders on this here forum (possibly one based in aberdeenshire) and give them the money instead.

...Seems I heard of a lot of NASH luv on this forum!

I bought a '55 and I'm really happy with it. The tone is awesome from the Lollar SC, The Wilkinson updated bridge gets excellent intonation, and it's a relatively light build.

Over here (US) the Nashes really DO get a lot of respect, are fairly well sought-after, and most owners post that they are happy-With the exception it seems of those that don't favor relic'ing at all.
Supposedly- this builder:
[url="http://gilyaronguitars.com/"]http://gilyaronguitars.com/[/url]
is the most highly authentic of all; VERY expensive and long lead times, you can read what he says about his work, etc.

So far so good for me with my PB-55; I really like playing it, and it sounds incredible thru my rigs, especially the 3-12AX7A GK Fusion...

[quote name='MrFingers' timestamp='1342735787' post='1740361']
[url="http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47291"]Inside Nash[/url]... I've had 2 in my hands (a somewhat lookalike to a 1960 stackknob Jazz, and a somewhat lookalike to a 64 jazz). Basically it's just allparts with a nitro paintjob. Electronics were cheap (big Alpha pots, no shielding tubs in the cavities, the 60 just had an earthwire running underneath the bridge, not the brass strip going to the bridgepickup), and it didn't sound nice. I honestly CAN'T see why they should be so expensive, since a trained monkey can do what they do. On the plusside, the relic was "above average" in terms of realistic.
[/quote]

This. I've read a number of forums where people have taken Nash instruments apart and found cheap parts, non-period correct features and even "Lic by Fender" necks. In an interview I read with Bill Nash (possibily on his own site) he admits to occasionally using allparts as a supplier. It then surpsies me when people talk about the excellent craftsmanship of their basses. Is this some kind of placebo effect?

Bill Nash appears to have found a niche market where he can offload bitsa basses as high-end vintage style basses. Even with the nitro finish you could assemble your own Nash-style bass for considerably less than they go for. I'm in the process of completing my own assembly '62 style P Bass. Although it won't have a nitro finish, it will have all genuine Fender reissue parts and comes in at around the £550 mark. As a nitro finish won't set me back £1,500, I think his basses are ridiculously overpriced!!

In fairness to him, there seems to be a market for this type of thing... :blink:

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342758158' post='1740479']
[url="http://gilyaronguitars.com/"]http://gilyaronguitars.com/[/url][/quote]

I've seen this guy's work before... he builds from scratch and winds his own pickups and so forth.
[url="http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bass-place/139356-57-precision-bass-build.html"]http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bass-place/139356-57-precision-bass-build.html[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1342777951' post='1740723']
Finally an American does irony and you didn't spot it? Shame! :D
[/quote]

Obviously spent too long in america myself (lived in California for a bit as a kid and had an American stepdad) :lol:

[i]Did you actually read the previous posts? [/i]
Yes I actually read the previous posts, inc. one elsewhere where one stated that Nash was "crap".

[i]Obviously spent too long in america myself (lived in California for a bit as a kid and had an American stepdad) :lol:[/i]
Did your Step-Dad when you [i]lived in California for a bit as a kid [/i]teach you manners?

Just wondering.

Interesting, this.

For years and years I had a hankering for a Stratocaster and I must have tried / played nearly a hundred of all types and did not find one that felt right, played right or sounded right for me so I stuck to my trusty Tele and Melody Maker.
On a work trip to North Carolina about six years ago I came across a Nash '65 Hendrix alike 3T SB Strat fitted with Lollars in one of the local pawn shops (note the correct spelling here, guys) and gave it a go.
Eureka - I had finally found a Strat that worked for me and I paid U$ 950 for it including case.
OK we could argue all day about the finish but after polishing it up a bit it does compare favourably with my mates real '64 Fender.
I also worked on the overaged metal work with some WD40 and it's looks became more authentic.
It is very light and resonant and gives instant 'Wind Cries Mary' sounds and plays superbly.
I have subsequently tried a few more Strats, other Nashes, Fender custom shop to Chinese Squiers via Japanese types and still have found nothing that works for me other than this one I've got.
I've also been offered £2.25K for it by one of our local heroes as he thinks it's the best Strat he's come across, too.
So, I guess I am a very lucky man - right place, right time etc.
And it's not for sale. :P

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342782388' post='1740814']
[i]Obviously spent too long in america myself (lived in California for a bit as a kid and had an American stepdad) :lol:[/i]
Did your Step-Dad when you [i]lived in California for a bit as a kid [/i]teach you manners?

Just wondering.
[/quote]

Why, you looking for lessons?

Just wondering.

http://store.mesahollywood.com/guitars--nash-guitars.html

If anyone gets to HOLLYWOOD! CA- first off give me a cal;. I'll show you wassup in SoCal. Please bring scones.

Check out the gallery of "Sold" Basses as well.

Reason I was surprised at the issues with Nashes pointed out, is I've not heard them (issues) before.

The other colonists that post of them on forums here; it's almost 100% love, and when a NASH Bass (or guitar I guess), is up for sale; they do not stay around very long in the shops!!

Mebbe like other instruments, there are good and bad in the batches. I can only say that my PB-55 ain't for sale either! :lol:

Personally, i wouldnt spend £2k+ (or even £1k+), on a '55 relic bass, when they can't even be arsed to get the correct string ferrules fitted, something that is very specific to that model. In my experience, Nash are very poor value for money, and yet seem to command alot of interest, and good prices. Shocking torty guards too!

Bravewood are in a different league alltogether to Nash, and are similarly priced.

Its all about personal taste though innit. I'd still rather do my own, for far less dollar, and it's more fun.