Why become a member? ×

Bass play - a pick or no pick?

Alex Nikitin

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342629899' post='1738291']
Not even if I bought one ticket 'n let thee in thru t' bog window!
[/quote]
If thee could geet someone t' give me a bump up, I were quite short in 78. Grand of yee

[quote name='Alex Nikitin' timestamp='1342607743' post='1737683']
[b][color=#000080]Playing bass with a pick or fingers[/color][/b]

[color=#000080]which gives more groove? which shows you are more talented? which is more respected?[/color]
[/quote]

Hi Alex,

Welcome to BC! I hope you'll like this site. It's a great place to be, mostly.

We've actually had this question discussed one month ago. You can read everything here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179147-real-bass-players-dont-use-picks"]http://basschat.co.u...-dont-use-picks[/url] . Maybe someone has told. I haven't read the thread.

Me, I'm a beginner since october last year, and I use my fingers because I never remember to find my picks. I've got 10 or 12 different picks to test and to learn from, but I simply keep forgetting.

So:
All the coolest and most well-respected bass players always forget their picks! :)

Enjoy!

all the best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1342632853' post='1738384']
Can someone just put one of the transvestite slapper clips up please?
[/quote]

This delightful young lady uses her fingers - she has both [i]groove[/i] and [i]respect[/i].

And a penis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWUYMWlEyo

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1342643901' post='1738680']
This delightful young lady uses her fingers - she has both [i]groove[/i] and [i]respect[/i].

And a penis.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWUYMWlEyo[/media]
[/quote]

But then she clearly has it all... This is tough!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1342627866' post='1738231']
Sorry?!
What is going on here?
Someone asks a question, and people can actually be bothered to moan about the question being asked, rather than answer it/ give a relevant opinion?
If you can't say something nice/amusing/witty/informative, then why bother? (*off topic excluded :) )
Have you really got [i]that[/i] much time to kill...
[/quote]

It can be such a touchy subject due to all the unnecessary judgements based upon whether a bassist uses a pick or not... Its natural for people to get defensive about it. I used to look down upon pick players when i was a teenager, but all it did was close the door to a certain approach as I can now only play proficiently with my fingers!

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1342730492' post='1740245']
I reckon you *could* use a toffee for a pick though... one of those round flat ones out of a tin of Quality Street.
[/quote]

Imagine the state your strings would be in after though!

I'd rather stick to using a pick for toffee.. I had a mate who chewed all his plectrums up. Good way of stopping people asking to borrow one I guess!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='Alex Nikitin' timestamp='1342627614' post='1738223']
[color=#000080]Fellaz thanks for warm welcoming [b]\\m//[/b][/color]

[color=#000080]Whoever still up for an extra cold b[/color][color=#000080]eer. This Friday Centrall London at [b][i]The Intrepid Fox 20:00[/i][/b][/color]

[color=#000080]The subject is closed[/color]!
[/quote]
Intrepid fox eh .. Aint been in there for donkeys years

I guess this has already been answered a million times in this thread but hey I'm not above shamelessly bumping my post count :P

I'd say it's all contextual really, depends what sounds best for the song. On my band's EP I switched between the two and they both worked great for the songs. Love that P bass + pick growl :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1342733776' post='1740320']

How do You know?

Infact, don't answer that! :ph34r:
[/quote]

Were you not in the thread when I recounted the revelation of "don't be gay, get your cock out"?

Must be a candidate for the quotes thread. Best bit of irony ever expressed by a naked man.

Edited by Gust0o

I like the pick for even rhythmic articulation especially when doubling a guitar line, occasionally even a few funky 16s ala Bobby Vega
but I mainly play fingerstyle,
When I first started I remember some kids from a punk band calling me both gay and a fanny tickler for playing fingerstyle

[quote name='spencer.b' timestamp='1342753987' post='1740474']
kids from a punk band calling me both gay and a fanny tickler for playing fingerstyle[/quote]

:lol:
Classic! I'm gonna use that!

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1342768671' post='1740532']
Pick, if in the car......Hanky, if in public.[/quote]

:lol:
Yes, I remember seeing Jeremy Clarkson driving your old car.

This thread is especially inspiring seeing as the Dutch "pik" and the Norwegian "pikk" sometimes are pulled out of bass players' trousers. No, these are not roosters, and no, of course it's not the groupies pulling them out.

best,
bert