Why become a member? ×

New Yes Album

darkandrew

Hi, has anyone bought the new Yes album "Fly from here"? I see from the press release that it's pretty much the "Drama" incarnation of Yes but with a new singer and seeing as "Drama" is probably my favourite Yes album, when listened to as a whole album, I'm hoping that it's going to be quite good.

Edited by darkandrew

I can't think of any band that's had so many line-up changes as Yes has, other than maybe King Crimson? I stopped following them a long time time back though they were a big influence on me when I was young. Unfortunatley, darkandrew, Drama was my least fav Yes album and so was the line-up that produced it; they were awful, live, as well.

Be interesting to hear what other BCers say about the new release.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1342251415' post='1732256']
Drama was my least fav Yes album and so was the line-up that produced it; they were awful, live, as well.
[/quote]

It often polarises opinion, I colleague of mine at work (the other half of the music dept. at school) is an absolute Yes nut but won't even listen to Drama.

I had to check the date of the first post.
Fly From Here has actually been released for over a year. I thought I'd missed a new album. :rolleyes:
I quite liked Drama when taken in context with what the band were putting out around that time.
IMHO nothing beats Close to the Edge and albums recorded around that era..

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1342258234' post='1732347']
Yes were always hit and miss (mostly miss, no groove). I think once a band has gone away they should definately stay away. Stone roses for instance. Oasis'll be getting back together next, in fact that was probably the plan all along.
[/quote]

It's possible for people to like music that doesn't "groove"... although some seem to think that's the be-all-and-end-all of it.

Sadly for Yes, they don't seem to have much to 'say' these days, I found FFH largely forgettable (and I am a *huge* Yes fan). Oddly, the new Asia CD "XXX" is much more enjoyable for me at the moment, whilst they are not 'prog rock' at all these days (not that they ever really were) it's effective, catchy AOR. They are reformed, and seem to have found a style and a voice again. It's not very "now" (and doesn't groove :blink: ), but for that AOR-friendly style they are very good at it.

Now, the new Rush CD "Clockwork Angels" -- now we're talking! That is awesome, their best in a long time. IMHO of course B)

I've got the whole Yes back catalogue, including FFH which, as has been said, was released some time ago. I got the album and saw them on the tour they did to promote it. Wouldn't say it bears any significant resemblence to Drama despite the lineup. However it is clear that Downes has had input into the songwriting, it's just that it sounds more like Asia than Yes as a result. Listen to the new Asia album XXX and it's not far removed from 'Fly From Here' to me. However, if youy can now get it as cheap as that from Amazon I'd do it. For those interested the singer on the album has now been sacked and replaced with another frontman from a Yes tribute act. They are not dong their credibility a lot of good TBH. They've painted themselves into a corner with the way they treated Jon Anderson so I doubt he'd come back and they are stuck filling in with soundalikes.
Oh and spongebob you're not the only one - Release Release and On The Silent Wings Of Freedom are quality songs for me.

Edited by KevB

I really liked Onward from Tormato, in addition to those above, Circus of Heaven and Arriving UFO, IMO were dire :(

Fly From Here, a lot of that was written at the same time as Drama, and mothballed, its an ok album, but I've probably played Clockwork Angels more times in the last 4 weeks than I have played Fly From Here in the last year.

And I too am a massive Yes fan!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1342267862' post='1732572']
I do enjoy the older Yes albums, and haven't been tempted to buy 'Fly...', even though it's on Amazon download for about £3.69.

Then again, maybe I should check it out if it's panned.....I for one really like 'Tormato'.....!!

Really!! :o
[/quote]

My comparison of the 2... Tormato has lousy production but some good music (okay, "Arriving UFO" is a bit sh*te, but Silent Wings, Release Release, Onward, etc), whereas FFH has the sheen of typical Trevor Horn productions, but the music is pretty lame, basically a re-work/extension of a Buggles track from around the time of Drama, plus a couple of Chris Squire pieces that are really nothing special at all. The playing FFH is okay but the arrangements and production seem overblown to me, compared to Yes's greater works.

Just my opinion of course :)

They played "Fly From Here" when they toured the Drama album in 1980. I remember thinking at the time that it was pretty lame so the idea of hearing an extended version of it 30+ years after it was written just doesn't appeal to me at all.

The ousting of Jon Anderson while he was seriously ill put me right off them as well to be honest. The band, and Squire in particular, lost any respect I had for them with the way they treated him.

I'm another big fan of Tormato - it contains some of their best material - Future Times/Rejoice, Release Release & On the Silent Wings of Freedom are as good as anything they ever did IMO.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1342258234' post='1732347']
Yes were always hit and miss (mostly miss, no groove).[/quote]

Oh I forgot, groove is the only important thing in music. :rolleyes:

Yes, up to and including Close to the Edge, are arguably my favourite band of all time. I think very few of my favourite bands have much to do with groove.

Glad to hear some support for 'Tormato'! Don't know why it gets such a bad press. I even love the cover - lovely 70's piece.

Granted, 'Circus Of Heaven' is a bit lame, but the rest is great. Even Wakemans's piercing synths have their place! Full marks for the band for not just repeating themselves.

Got to say it (maybe we should have a poll!), my favourite is 'Relayer'....but anything from their debut to 'Drama' works for me.

I think a big part of Yes' golden period was the magic of Eddie Offord. He gives the music such space to breathe - and Squire's bass in particular.

Can you imagine if those albums were made today? I bet you'd barely hear the bass parts within the compressed wall of sound!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1342279352' post='1732738']
Glad to hear some support for 'Tormato'! Don't know why it gets such a bad press. I even love the cover - lovely 70's piece.

Granted, 'Circus Of Heaven' is a bit lame, but the rest is great. Even Wakemans's piercing synths have their place! Full marks for the band for not just repeating themselves.

Got to say it (maybe we should have a poll!), my favourite is 'Relayer'....but anything from their debut to 'Drama' works for me.

I think a big part of Yes' golden period was the magic of Eddie Offord. He gives the music such space to breathe - and Squire's bass in particular.

Can you imagine if those albums were made today? I bet you'd barely hear the bass parts within the compressed wall of sound!
[/quote]

well in a recent interview mr squire explained how the bass was so muchg higher up in the mix than expected due to a dodgy pair of headphones in the studio - it all came out with the bass in your face but the effect was pleasant so they stuck with it

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1342279352' post='1732738']

[/quote]
Although Drama probably just makes it as my favourite Yes album, without doubt my single favourite track is "Gates of Delirium" from Relayer.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1342280302' post='1732761']
well in a recent interview mr squire explained how the bass was so muchg higher up in the mix than expected due to a dodgy pair of headphones in the studio - it all came out with the bass in your face but the effect was pleasant so they stuck with it
[/quote]

That was when they recorded "Time & a Word" - the bass on that album is astonishingly loud.

FFH is better than 'Open Your Eyes' and 'The Ladder' and all that noughties guff. Nothing beats '70 Yes though. 'Close to the Edge' and 'Relayer' are stunning and good luck learning the bass parts, let alone the vocal harmonies!

And don't get me started on the Trevor Rabin years where the mighty melodic Squire was reduced to 8th note chugging behind a wall of distorted guitars.

If you want recent Chris Squire, investigate his collaboration with Steve Hackett on Squackett's 'Life within a Day'. Prog-pop I'd call it with some great music. Not classic Squire bass as its not gritty or as over-driven as the early years but some good harmonies none the less.

Edited by visog

OK, so they're the most important band of my life, but that doesn't mean I have to endure everything they did the last fourty years after a fantastic burst between '71 and '74. I'm definitely not even going to check it out, as I've zero belief that there's anything remotely interesting on there.

Relayer - now that's a different story! And songs like Siberian Khatru! Awesome!
I even like Going for the One, Tormato, ABWH and Union as well as some 90125, so it's not as if I'm impossible to please.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1342285078' post='1732849']
'Close to the Edge' and 'Relayer' are stunning and good luck learning the bass parts, let alone the vocal harmonies!
[/quote]

The mischievous side of me really, really wants to go into work one day and say "right kids, today you're going to learn to play The Gates of Delirium ..."