Why become a member? ×

New Yes Album

darkandrew

I would proably consider Yes to be my favourite band, but without Anderson I'm not interested. If he had retired or left the band, maybe that would be different, but to be booted out of the band in such a shoddy way is just an insult.

I did have a listen to FFH on Spotify, just out of morbid curiosity, and it was pretty horrible - bland, AOR shiny stuff.

I took the gamble and bought the CD at the weekend and .... well I'm pleasently surprised. It's very musical, very listenable and very almost a Yes album. In the same way that many die-hard Yes fans refuse to accept Drama as being a proper Yes album, I can understand why this will also be viewed as not being a "real" Yes album by many fans but put that to one side and what you have is a very well played and very well recorded album.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1342277342' post='1732699']
The ousting of Jon Anderson while he was seriously ill put me right off them as well to be honest. The band, and Squire in particular, lost any respect I had for them with the way they treated him.
[/quote]

I agree with you. I'm more drawn to the older YES albums, like Close To The Edge and Relayer.
Don't even get me started on Chris Squire....

I was a YES nut up to Drama (saw that tour). They nearly lost me on 90125 but I was gone by the next one (was it Big Generator?) and have never heard anything they have done since. I rarely go back to them but when I do I am struck by the creativity which was a lot more common in Rock and Prog Rock during this era, before punk rendered anything longer than 3 minutes as 'self indulgent'.

The groove thing is an interesting point. One of the important facets of UK prog rock was the fact that it was the first substantive movement in popular music that was not based around dance music and the blues. It isn't [i]supposed[/i] to 'groove' (even though much of it does, albeit in a different way). Loved TOrmato, loved Going For The One, loved CTTE and Relayer, loved TAAW and The Yes Album.... all great stuff. It was through buiying all of their solo LPs that I got into Jazz. I was a Squire/Howe fan but, when I bought the Bruford 'Feels Good To Me' lp and heard Jeff Berlin and Allan Holdsworth, I realised there was more to listen to.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1342600321' post='1737492']
..... when I bought the Bruford 'Feels Good To Me' lp ....
[/quote]

Great LP, I remember it well (sadly some scumbag stole all my LPs a little while back and you have just reminded me about this one).