Why become a member? ×

Should I or Shouldn't I?

OutSpoon

So - I have a '78 Fender Jazz, well, it's a '78 neck on an 83 body and an 83 fingerboard (I think) - with Nordy pickups and a Schaller bridge; so already a bit all over the place - but what would make it 'perfect' I think would be block inlays.

I know a luthier local to me who already did a great job putting new inlays into an old Ibanez that I had, so thinking to trust him with the Fender.

I didn't pay big $$ for the Fender but wondering if it would increase, decrease or destroy the value of it...

What do you all think? Keep it original(ish) or continue the journey it has had, and make it personal...

[attachment=112250:IMG_1804.jpg]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1341492775' post='1719942']
Buy another neck, with blocks already in place, and swop it over. Keep the original somewhere safe, and you can always revert to it, or replace it should you want to sell.
[/quote]

This ^^. At least then you can go back if you don't like it.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341494100' post='1719984']
if it's just for the look... why not use the block/stickers you see people using?[/quote]

Because when I see people using them, I think, 'you pathetic cheapskate corner-cutting, backward-thinking git. You should be in local government, or possibly people-trafficking.' Then I rap them sharply on the cranium with my walking-stick. :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341494286' post='1719989']
Because when I see people using them, I think, 'you pathetic cheapskate corner-cutting, backward-thinking git. You should be in local government, or possibly people-trafficking.' Then I rap them sharply on the cranium with my walking-stick. :lol:
[/quote]
and what do you think when you see a P bass with blocks? :P
how close do you have to get before you can tell?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341494811' post='1720006']
and what do you think when you see a P bass with blocks? :P[/quote]

It's just out of the question. Anyone found with blocks on a P-Bass must be lashed until they drop, kneecapped, hung drawn and quartered, then cremated in public on prime-time TV. Twice. Or until they agree to a neck with dots. :D

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1341490955' post='1719907']
So - I have a '78 Fender Jazz, well, it's a '78 neck on an 83 body and an 83 fingerboard (I think) - with Nordy pickups and a Schaller bridge; so already a bit all over the place
[/quote]

As you say its not stock anyway, and if its a bass you love, its what you want and its a professional job do it

MIght be nice to make a judgement on value with and without, just so you know, but I think thats hard to call anyway

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341495014' post='1720010']
It's just out of the question. Anyone found with blocks on a P-Bass must be lashed until they drop, kneecapped, hung drawn and quartered, then cremated in public on prime-time TV. Twice. Or until they agree to a neck with dots. :D
[/quote]

I'll tell kate, but she won't like it.....

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1341495565' post='1720029']
I'll tell kate, but she won't like it...[/quote]

I have a slightly different punishment in mind for her. :gas:

Edit: Saw that pic a while back, it's a cracker!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341495014' post='1720010']
[/quote]
Unless you're Duck Dunn.

Edited by iiipopes

Definitely not stickers... that is cheap - so is the idea of putting a 'new' neck on it.. I think that would also change the sound and the feel.. dots just don't look right for me - and as it's a '78 neck; it [i]should[/i] have blocks anyways. So in theory I am making it [i]correct. :-) [/i]

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1341502044' post='1720149']
Definitely not stickers... that is cheap - so is the idea of putting a 'new' neck on it.. I think that would also change the sound and the feel.. dots just don't look right for me - and as it's a '78 neck; it [i]should[/i] have blocks anyways. So in theory I am making it [i]correct. :-) [/i]
[/quote]

Exactly this, a new fingerboard makes it less interesting to a collector, putting blocks back on it may even increase the value a little although it'll be obvious they're not the originals.

Can't see any harm in doing it, it's already a bitsa bass and 78s and particularly 83s aren't really so collectable.....yet.

But not black blocks ;)

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1341490955' post='1719907']
So - I have a '78 Fender Jazz, well, it's a '78 neck on an 83 body and an 83 fingerboard (I think) - with Nordy pickups and a Schaller bridge; so already a bit all over the place - but what would make it 'perfect' I think would be block inlays.

I know a luthier local to me who already did a great job putting new inlays into an old Ibanez that I had, so thinking to trust him with the Fender.

I didn't pay big $$ for the Fender but wondering if it would increase, decrease or destroy the value of it...

What do you all think? Keep it original(ish) or continue the journey it has had, and make it personal...

[attachment=112250:IMG_1804.jpg]
[/quote]

I personally love the neck like that... but if I wanted blocks I'd probably try to get a neck with blocks, and see if I am happy with that, before doing the surgery on this neck.

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1341509415' post='1720319']
Good - so we are all agreed then. Blocks it is!

Now - I was thinking black blocks; but after seeing pearl blocks on a '77 recently I am more thinking pearl...hmmm...
[/quote]

Black without question for me, unless, your looking to change the pickguard too?