Why become a member? ×

Fender Bass V

henry norton

I've always had a fascination for these, but they are big beasts (3" longer than a P bass) and I am not sure just how off putting the 15 fret neck would be. I certainly wouldn't want to put up any readies to buy one without trying it first, in case it turned out to be a horrible player.

That said, they [i]are[/i] out there, in fact there are two on eBay right now, but I suspect the rarity factor keeps the price up rather than their playability.

Watch 0:45-1:40 of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agtztX9rlJU

Edited by walbassist

The third post down on this topic from the Fender forum gives some interesting background to the Bass V. Only 200 ever produced apparently.
- http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42284

Gareth, I coudn't find any on ebay but would be interested to take a look, can you post links?

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1341414290' post='1718611']
Gareth, I coudn't find any on ebay but would be interested to take a look, can you post links?
[/quote]

Nice sunburst 1967 [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1967-Fender-V-Bass-Sunburst-Rare-and-100-original-5-strings-HSC-/310410099956?pt=Bassi&hash=item4845e23cf4"]here[/url], and the same seller has a 1966 refin for sale which hasn't sold in ages but is currently unlisted.

Also another one in the Netherlands [url="http://www.tfoa.eu/the_store/index.php?target=products&product_id=35672"]here[/url]. They have it listed on their eBay account as well, but I can't find the link just now....

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1341413498' post='1718591']
I certainly wouldn't want to put up any readies to buy one without trying it first, in case it turned out to be a horrible player.
[/quote]

And now I have found one from my year of birth...... :blink:

• 5 months later...

Hi, I've posted this somewhere else on here. I've had one since 1972, purchased in Sound City, Shaftesbury Ave. It's been butchered quite a lot over the years, pickups, and paint finish, etc. Now it looks like the below pic, with the exception of new Bartolini P Bass pickup in the neck position. The original Fender one I always thought was very poor, probably bodged from Musicmaster or similar. I've even had John Birch multi pole steel guitar pickups on it (which sounded great). I love the bass and it'll be the last one I sell, so if Zad reads this, it's still not for sale I'm afraid!!! I've got it now tuned from the standard B upwards and it sounds fine. Lovely neck to play, with a bit of neck dive from the large head and heavy old tuners.
Cheers,
Graham
[IMG]http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj578/graham1945/BassVresized_zps61981836.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1341413343' post='1718585']
I have a feeling that the bassline to "A Horse with no name" by America was played on one, as it's difficult to articulate correctly on a 4.
[/quote]

I've seen a clip on youtube and it looks like the bassist has a P but it was a live clip so may not be what was on the record.

I've had three. Still own one.
The Black one in Holland was mine, as was the 66 sunburst which was for sale in the same shop. Unfortunately I was scammed by the shop... the prices for which they sold were not my prices and I got only half of it.... The shopowner even had the guts to tell me he did me a favor! He made a 100% profit AND had a trade-in.. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS SHOP!
I still have a 66 sunburst which is all orgininal (including the covers) Non original but perfect fitting case (G&G, slightly longer than a regular case).
Really good condition. you can PM me if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, only just got back to this. Walbassist, no, the refinish was done by someone in Shaftesbury, not a great job unfortunately. Mind you it started life as metallic blue and has since been every other since then. And Bob, above, I only have the bridge chrome cover with the large "F". Always had a problem finding a case to fit due to the length of the body, including the protruding neck joint. Am using a fairly basic teardrop case which fits it perfectly. By the way, mine isn't for sale.
Cheers
Graham