Why become a member? ×

Love for Squire basses..?

jimmy_lazers

I have to say that from personal experience Squire have been a bit of a strange animal when it comes to their guitars and basses over the years. We all know about the various 'legendary' Japanese models from the 80's, but what about the current crop of offerings?

I feel I have to throw my two penneth in on this one having owned one of their recent models for about a year - the Classic Vibe 50's P-Bass.

Frankly, I bought it because it looked cool, it wasn't all that expensive and it was essentially a replica of the somewhat unseen 'transition' P-Bass, with the newer contoured body but retaining the single coil pickup, the frankly bizarre early-shape pickguard and baseball-bat profiled neck.

Now, I can't speak for the rest of the range, but this particular bass is an absolute peach! The finish is ultra-thin and flawless (tbh easily as good as my US jazz), the single coil pickup is virtually hum-free and implausibly versatile and despite a bit of obligatory screw tightening needed very little in the way of adjustment (although the strings had been swapped out for D'addario's by the dealer). At one point I was going to replace the pickup with a Seymour Duncan QP, but to be honest I scrapped the idea as I couldn't imagine it making £40 worth of difference over the stock one.

So, in a very long-winded way, what do people reckon to Squire's current range of basses and are there any others they would recommend?

JL out.

I`ve had many Squiers, from Affinity range, Standard, to CV 60s. I`ve found all of them very good. The CV for the sheer quality, and the Affinity, that you get that much bass for so little money. If only Squier Affinities had been around when I started out - would have made learning a lot quicker.

I remember someone in a shop telling me that Fender had basically set up a US-spec production line in their factory in China - I think that rather than cutting costs during the manufacturing process like some do, they're opting for cheaper woods and whatnot.

I know my CV P-bass is pine lacquered to look like blonde ash and the metallic blue version is basswood, plus I'm sure they use other 'cheaper' woods depending on the model.

For jazz-type basses check out Farida - they're made by the same factory in China but they're a step up in quality even from the Squires.

I have a lot of love for Squiers. Recently, I picked up a lovely Mike Dirnt secondhand, which is turning out to be an absolute gem...they need a tweak (screws all need tightening...) but they are much more than a beginners Bass. I've also got an Indonesian Squier Jazz which I've defretted. That too sounds great. I still regret selling a gorgeous sunburst P Bass special which looked and sounded fantastic.
The moral is, don't let snobbery put you off. I've had nothing but positive experiences and with a little bit of time (and the odd upgrade, if you're that way inclined...) You can get a great instrument for not much money...and DON'T put Fender logos on 'em! Be proud of your Squier!

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1341318488' post='1716859']
I have a lot of love for Squiers. Recently, I picked up a lovely Mike Dirnt secondhand, which is turning out to be an absolute gem...they need a tweak (screws all need tightening...) but they are much more than a beginners Bass. I've also got an Indonesian Squier Jazz which I've defretted. That too sounds great. I still regret selling a gorgeous sunburst P Bass special which looked and sounded fantastic.
The moral is, don't let snobbery put you off. I've had nothing but positive experiences and with a little bit of time (and the odd upgrade, if you're that way inclined...) You can get a great instrument for not much money...and DON'T put Fender logos on 'em! Be proud of your Squier!
[/quote]

Big +1 there...

I have a CV 50s P and a Affinity Bronco and love them both.
The CV is pretty much stock, apart from cosmetic changes (covers and a scratchplate respray) and a set of Fender tapewounds.
The Bronco has had a bit more tinkering (OK a lot). Some for cosmetic reasons (scratchplate respray, cloverleaf tuners); some to improve the sound (blade humbucker, CTS pots); and a set of Status tapewounds.

Funny how different two sets of tapewounds can be ... but that's a different story.

Having small hands I thought the BB profile neck would be an issue but I find it more comfortable than the jazz neck on my P bass special.

The cat in my avatar is having a kip on the CV (before i changed the strings).

Edited by Leon Transaxle

There's a lot of love on here for Squiers. If you were around about 12 months ago, you'd have been aware of the rave reviews of the CV 60's Jazz. Then the best budget bass under £300. Punched well above it's weight. All the CV's are Farida products.

Balcro.

I have 2 Squier's -a P bass and a CV Modified Jazz,both have high mass type bridges-Badass,and FCH respectively and the P has a few extra tweaks,pick up's mirrored scratch plate,schaller straplocks,and a Hipshot extender with D'Addrio Chromes
I use these as my regular gigging basses and absolutely love 'em,I bought the Jazz after trying out a Fender but found the Squier to be far superior in build quality,feel and playability.
I'm on the lookout now for a Sandberg JM4-only because I want one -no other reason.
Trev

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1341350573' post='1717669']
Ive never owned or even tried a squire, only cos it dont say fender on the headstock... Think i may well give one a go after reading this thread,
Anyone got a lefty for sale??
[/quote]
There is a left handed VM jazz in sunburst on Gumtree at the mo,think its like £125 which is a bargain

Another thumbs up for the CV range. Ive got rid of all my basses other than my two CV's and have no real GAS at all for anything else (although i am tempted to get a SBMM SUB at some point).
Im now of the opinion that you really dont need to spend a fortune to get a playable bass these days. Ive' been gigging my CV P (or whats left of it, it does have a Lakland neck on it) for nearly two years now and its never let me down, and sounds just like a P bas should.

+1 to the comments on the VM Jazz made somewhere above - absolutely gorgeous bass, lovely neck, again the only trouble really is weight and electronics. I've also found the nut on the output jack can wiggle itself loose sometimes, although tbh I've found that to be a feature of virtually every bass I own with that kind of jack, so whether it's me, the individual instruments I own or an inherent design fault idk.

Both of my main basses are Squier, would seriously recommend them to anyone :)

Don't wish to hijack the thread but if anyone's interested in a P bass special I have one up for grabs at the moment;
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180678-squier-precision-special-l150-collected-or-short-delivery/page__hl__squier__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180678-squier-precision-special-l150-collected-or-short-delivery/page__hl__squier__fromsearch__1[/url]

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1341350573' post='1717669']
Ive never owned or even tried a squire, only cos it dont say fender on the headstock... Think i may well give one a go after reading this thread,
Anyone got a lefty for sale??
[/quote]

I was of a similar opinion not all that long ago until I tried a Gibson 335 and an Epiphone Dot Studio side by side - the experience completely changed my view of brand-name instruments vs their 'budget' counterparts.

I checked them out because I was after something a bit out of the ordinary and couldn't justify springing serious money on an original or 'proper' reissue, hence the 50's CV. You might play a few and hate them, but I honestly couldn't fault mine.

As a side-note it also opened my mind to alternative tonewoods (don't worry, I'm not going to go there) and I actually get a slightly weird kick out of the fact that my bass is made out of the same thing as my kitchen table...

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1341506380' post='1720249']
Tried to buy the vm squire from gumtree... The guy wont post it cos gumtree is for local selling only??
[/quote]

yes, generally people expect local deals, in person etc. But if you are persuasive enough you may convince some to post... ;)

And after reading this trhead... I've decided tonight's gig will be done with my Korean Squier jazz.
The original pickups were a bit disappointing but the bass feels great, so I put some better pickups on it and I really like it.