Why become a member? ×

What Warwick

KennysFord

Hey folks,
I fancy trying a Warwick Bass sometime in the near future, something like the one in this video would be nice.
Can any of you experts out there tell me which one Ron Perry is using, albeit in an upside down fashion.Would I be right in thinking it's an FNA Jazzman ??
Just by way of a bonus it's very nice track too.
I suppose the best shot of the bass is at 2.11 ish.
Thanks in advance. B)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kooim89kFk8[/media]

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1340975697' post='1712309']
It's the angled Jazz style pickup that's got me, I thought that was a Jazzman feature. Then again, the brand has only just started to induce GAS so I know absolutely nothing about them.
Thanks for the replies chaps.
B)
[/quote]

i think it was pre-95? that they had just one pickup slanted

I was a tad confused but I would agree with Thumb.

As far as Warwick go your pretty safe of getting a good one just a matter of budget as to which model you can get. Despite my inability to identify a left hander Ive owned many a W over the years and ever one was sweet.

Thumb. Looks like a Neck-thru from the taper at the end of the fretboard.

As for buying a Warwick... Try loads. Find one you like, and buy one second-hand from the For Sale section on here.
Plenty of bargains to be had that way, especially as the current price structure puts German-made instruments into silly-money territory.

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1340975913' post='1712314']
I just visited the Warwick site and looks very similar to this one
[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=14667&katID=22125&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.d...tID=22125&cl=EN[/url]
I'd agree, a Thumb.
Thanks for helping out.
[/quote]

going by pausing at 2:11 it's a neck through not a bolt on. If you're ever up in edinburgh, or indeed leeds from the autumn then you can have a shot on my Streamer stage 1

Cheers Guys,
There's a fairly nice looking Jazzman on the bay atm, a little bit battle scared though. A mate of mine had an FNA Jazzman a while back, what a sweetie !!

Cheers Luke, you never know bud.Very kind of you to offer bud. B)
In terms of tone then which I guess is why I'm drawn to that video, well that and Susan Tedeschi (who can do no wrong for me) I should be looking out for a Thumb then ??

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1340999310' post='1712793']
Cheers Guys,
There's a fairly nice looking Jazzman on the bay atm, a little bit battle scared though. A mate of mine had an FNA Jazzman a while back, what a sweetie !!

In terms of tone then which I guess is why I'm drawn to that video, well that and Susan Tedeschi (who can do no wrong for me) I should be looking out for a Thumb then ??
[/quote]

Obviously it's always advisable to try before you try, but I think you really need to have a good go on a Thumb to know if it's the one for you. The small body and short upper horn is an issue for some people (myself included). A bolt on Thumb 5 was my first "proper" bass in 1997, and although I LOVED the sound of it, it just didn't work for me geometrically in the end. First fret can feel a very long way away from you! Awesome basses, but just make sure you spend some time with one before taking the plunge.

Cheers for that TRBboy,
Excellent advice, In fact, watching the video the nut/1st fret does seem to be a very long way away from the body. Something I should consider being a short arse.
Thanks.
Local Basschatter, Bagsieblue has very kindly offered to let me have a tinker on his very nice Warwick selection.
I think I'll be taking him up on his offer soon.
Hey guys, really appreciate all the replies, my threads usually turn to Tumbleweed :lol:
We used to have a smilie for that ya know. B)

Edited by kennyrodg

Hi,this is a Thumb bass.I cant really tell if its a B/O neck but i can tell you its a warwick as i have one myself. A great bass and i'll never part with it. They seem a little heavy in weight until you get used to them but they have a great tone. Good Luck in your search for one!

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1340999310' post='1712793']
[/quote]

They are definitely the most devisive of Warwick basses, I have found! I absolutely love them, some people hate them and a lot of people love the sound but don't like the ergonomics of them. The Thumb body is very small (especially on the NT models) which can exaggerate the length to the first position. Because the bridge sits over your body (as opposed to being offset of your torso like a jazz bass), the neck can feel further away. A lot of people say they are neck-divey too, though I always wore my Thumb high so I never had a problem with the balance. They can also feel quite heavy, because of the bubinga, ovangkol or more rarely, walnut bodies.

Sound wise, I used to think they sounded like nothing else. They still do, though interestingly, compared to my all maple, Bartolini equipped Ltd Edition Streamer, they are not as 'distinct' as I used to imagine. Classic Warwick low mid growl, they both do that in buckets though the Thumb I find a little peakier in the mid section, the Streamer a little more even overall.

As for the Corvette FNA, I have never played a Corvette I really liked.

It does look like it's a through-neck Thumb. My girlfriend had the bolt-on & i've gotta say it sounded amazing, brilliant slap sound too !
I gigged with it one night & really couldn't get comfortable. I am used to my Jazz & my Streamer Jazzman. Do try a Thumb though, & the Fortress Jazzman is great. I just loved the Jazzman electronics as you can blend any p-up with a lovely Musicman zing to it.

What about a P-Nut Streamer ! Anyone on here got one ?

The alternative take. Rockbass Corvettes at silly money £130. Quality, playability and sound seem second to none, dare I say it every bit as good as my G&L (and any other USA bass I have owned from the 3 major players). Absolute bargains to be had in hard times.

The Rockbass Corvette is a very impressive bass. In the last 2 years they were completely updated, and now feature the same pickups and hardware as the German basses. They all have 2 piece bodies, and 3 piece maple necks with Ekanga veneers. Quality control was a big focus, and they've been very well received. That said, there is nothing like a Thumb bass...and I've seen them in all genre's of music. I just saw Jack Bruce 2 weeks ago, and even at 69 years old he was amazing, and seems to have no issue with ergonomics or neck-dive. He was briliant, and the new band - Spectrum Road - was incredible. Its worth trying out as many models as possible, and seeing what really suits you...in the end, you want to bond with your instrument, and be able to speak our voice through it. Please let me know if I can assist in any way. Thanks!