Why become a member? ×

What Warwick

KennysFord

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1341079045' post='1713667']
I reckon the Thumb really is the epitome of "that Warwick sound". Punch and growl in abundance!
[/quote]

esp if you pick up an older wenge and bubinga one - they make em out of something different now cos they are saving the rain forests.
actaully, kudos on the FSA certified corvette made out of happy trees... :)

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1341097953' post='1713917']
The Rockbass Corvette is a very impressive bass. In the last 2 years they were completely updated, and now feature the same pickups and hardware as the German basses.
[/quote]

Let me get this right... the £300 Rockbass has the same pups and hardware as a £3000 German made bass? That's the same pups alone, that if bought from the Warwick shop to drop into your bass, would cost you 398 Euro (not mentioning the hardware)! :blink:

I bought my first Warwick Thumb a few weeks ago and researched as much as poss as a nice one isn't cheap and unfortunately you need to travel around to get your hands on one. Loads of good advice already on here but if it helps:

Definitely play one before buying it if you can. Before I bought mine I played a mix of 4/ 5 strings, bolt ons/neck thrus, new/secondhand and they were all very different. Admittedly it wasn’t set up but playing a brand new bolt on at £1500 was completely uninspiring – a 20 year old bolt on 5-string at £750 was stunning both in sound (possibly due to different PUP position) and fast playability.

I ended up buying a 2004 4-string neck thru - different league in the looks dept. The bubinga pomelle finish, thru neck and ebony fretboard make it a sheer pleasure to play. I’ve owned my bass for about 5 weeks now and I cannot put it down. I even sometimes take one last look at it before I go to bed (I KNOW I shouldn’t admit that :) ).

The weight is heavy but emphasises the cracking build quality. There is great depth to the high notes - previous basses I’ve played have been tinny when playing notes on the D and G strings – not on a Thumb.

The neck IS long and can take a bit of getting used to. If you're trying one out play it standing up – completely different experience to when you’re playing it on your knee.

There’s a good link on you tube which gives a nice demo on the sound options – all I can add is be sure the Thumb sound suits the band you play in as it's distinctive and may prove challenging (as it currently is for me playing in a rock covers band):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOLxxevOCzU&list=FLmdpxVZClKWdeg_xgw0ggqw&index=12&feature=plpp_video[/media]

Sorry to ramble on. Hope it helps. If you're ever passing through Swindon you are welcome to drop in and have a play on mine.

Edited by glenbass1

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1341129135' post='1713992']
Let me get this right... the £300 Rockbass has the same pups and hardware as a £3000 German made bass? That's the same pups alone, that if bought from the Warwick shop to drop into your bass, would cost you 398 Euro (not mentioning the hardware)! :blink:
[/quote]

warwickhunt - Yes, since revamping the entire Rockbass line - they come with MEC pickups, and the same 3D 2-piece bridge, tuners, and Warwick security locks as found on the German made basses. Thanks!

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1341248928' post='1715757']
warwickhunt - Yes, since revamping the entire Rockbass line - they come with MEC pickups, and the same 3D 2-piece bridge, tuners, and Warwick security locks as found on the German made basses. Thanks!
[/quote]

Is it the 'exact' same parts or similar style but made in a different factory. It could hardly be justifiable to charge the replacement part prices quoted when they are supplied on a cheap Warwick bass for a lot less... if you were after a new set of pups and hardware for a project (or updating hardware on an existing German Warwick bass) you'd be better off buying a rockbass and taking the parts off, then selling the Rockbass skeleton! :D

[/quote]They are not German MECs, which are sealed with epoxy. These are cheaper MEC versions (Far East I think) and are not epoxy sealed.

The bass in the vid is a neck through Thumb. I don't get on with the Thumbs, Fortress is great, but ugly, I love the Corvettes and sculpted Streamers

Edited by silddx

[/quote]
that makes no sense! Why are the parts so expensive then? I'm looking for a passive blend pot for my warwick. An MEC replacement will cost me £40 posted- a new rockbass, with a blend pot in it, can be found new for £200 !! surely it can't be the same parts??

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1341097953' post='1713917']
The Rockbass Corvette is a very impressive bass. In the last 2 years they were completely updated, and now feature [b][u]the same pickups and hardware as the German basses[/u][/b].
[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1341254531' post='1715895']
They are not German MECs, which are sealed with epoxy. These are cheaper MEC versions (Far East I think) and are not epoxy sealed.
[/quote]

That's why I was querying the initial statement. ;)

For me the streamer LX/Jazzman are their best models, If you can get an 80's/90's model with a solid wenge neck and seymour duncan/
or EMG pickups even better. just had an east U-retro installed in mine and its one of the very best basses ive ever played. Check them out!!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341255355' post='1715932']
that makes no sense! Why are the parts so expensive then? I'm looking for a passive blend pot for my warwick. An MEC replacement will cost me £40 posted- a new rockbass, with a blend pot in it, can be found new for £200 !! surely it can't be the same parts??
[/quote]
Have you got a link for a new (i.e. built after 2010, with the 2-piece bridge etc) RB for £200? All the ones I've seen at that sort of price are from before the re-vamp.

Having said that, the pups in my (2008, old, no discernible QC) RB are absolutely identical to those in my NT Thumb. But based on silddx's comments, this may not be typical.

Thanks for the comments. The MEC pickups in the current Rockbasses are [b]exactly[/b] the same as those used in the German basses. The hardware is also the very same. 2 years ago the entire Rockbass line was upgraded to feature these amenities. Please let me know if you've got any questions, I would be happy to assist!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341255355' post='1715932']
that makes no sense! Why are the parts so expensive then? I'm looking for a passive blend pot for my warwick. An MEC replacement will cost me £40 posted- a new rockbass, with a blend pot in it, can be found new for £200 ??

Let me get this right... the £300 Rockbass has the same pups and hardware as a £3000 German made bass? That's the same pups alone, that if bought from the Warwick shop to drop into your bass, would cost you 398 Euro[/quote]

Dear Mr Warwick Official - as you say you can answer questions, please answer this one. How can your company justify selling your components at a more expencive rate than it is to buy a whole bass? this makes no sense to us.

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1341328605' post='1717127']
Thanks for the comments. The MEC pickups in the current Rockbasses are [b]exactly[/b] the same as those used in the German basses. The hardware is also the very same. 2 years ago the entire Rockbass line was upgraded to feature these amenities. Please let me know if you've got any questions, I would be happy to assist!
[/quote]

Warwick Rockbass streamer LX 5 in GAK= £519

From Warwick shop.... (in euros)
Two MEC passive jazz pups = 119
2 band preamp (with pots) = 339
jack socket= 19.90
4 knobs= 25
machine heads= 44 (unless you use the schaller ones, in which case 169)
Bridge= 70

total so far= 616.9 (or 741 with the schaller tuners) plus 10 euro delivery.... which at todays exchange rate is £503 or £603 or so.
missing... neck, body, frets, strings, strap locks.... gig bag....

I don't question the quality of the parts, it's just surprising how you are able to offer them so cheaply on the rockbasses- the MEC pots and pups are made in deutschland and shipped out to china and shipped back.... and suddenly are relatively cheaper. That said sometime soon I need to order some frets from you for my bass!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341335229' post='1717292']...2 band preamp (with pots) = 339
....[/quote]
That's the one thing that's definitely not the same - I remember querying that before, and WO confirmed that the preamps are different.

Not that it changes your point very much. I think one simply has to conclude that they are trying to avoid selling the parts separately.

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1341340887' post='1717419']...the preamp in the Rockbass line is not the same as those used in German-made or Pro-Series basses. ....
[/quote]
Thanks for confirming that. Does this also mean that the Pro-series basses have exactly the same preamp as the Germans?

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1341396320' post='1718157']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177723-streamer-stage-one-v-1997-price-reduction/"]http://basschat.co.u...rice-reduction/[/url]

This one? :-D
[/quote]thats a nice bass, at a good price! :)