Why become a member? ×

2x12 vs 4x10

Lord Sausage

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1340824366' post='1710218']
i use a 5 string so a 52 hz cab would be no good then. I'm looking at a number of different cabs and just trying to research them. The one at 52hz is a[size=3] [color=#000000][font=verdana, tahoma, arial, helvetica]Gallien Krueger 212MBE 8 Ohm. [/font][/color][/size][/quote]

I wouldn't worry too much about low Hz figures. Most of the audible 'power' of the bass is around 80-120Hz, the 'attack' part of the note is around 1kHz and string and fret noise are at around 2.5kHz. Or thereabouts.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1340868245' post='1710605']
The Gold speaker GK cabs are notoriously bad. The rest get good reviews.
[/quote]

This. The GLX are the BLX coloured gold for a special order (I think it was GuitarGuitar in the US, can't remember though) but between the bad reviews and the gaudy colour, they never sold well so they've seeped through to the UK market.

I'm sure an MBE, NEO or RBH cab would be a completely different story. :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1340922919' post='1711719']
My 2x210's slay my 2x112's and no matter how much I might prefer it isn't so.... Actually it doesn't really matter..... that is the way it is and that is all there is to it. IMO.
[/quote]

I still dont think 2 1x12's sound the same as 1 2x12 anyway, I purposefully put that comment in a post a while ago knowing the resident experts had agreed in an earlier thread just to bait them in only to find they then totally contradicted themselves and said that if they are identicle but basically just cut in half then 2 of the same will sound and perform exactly the same a the 2x12? Im not convinced either way. For me you could stack 4 of your 2x10's and I would still prefer just the one 2x12, I just dont like 10's no matter what the experts say about the facts and figures my ears know better :)

So, armed with the extra knowledge that i've amassed off you fine people, I went to a music shop today. I was having a look at a Ashdown ABM 410 (can't remember the letters after the number. The label said it was 650w, on the back of the cab it said 600W. I started speaking to one of the salesmen. I told him how i couldn't make up my mind between buying some GK 2x12's that i'd seen somewhere else or going down the 4x10 route. He said "well most bass players use 4x10's, not many use 2x12's". He also said i'd get a better sound with 4x10's. I thought there may be a few people who disagree with that!

Are you thinking of buying more than one 2x12 or more than one 4x10? From your post it sounds like you are thinking either a 4x10 or two 2x12s, IME a good single 2x12 is a direct comparison to a single 4x10 (not much smaller in many cases in cab volume size), two 2x12s is a monster rig not to be confused with a single 4x10!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341072280' post='1713534']
Are you thinking of buying more than one 2x12 or more than one 4x10? From your post it sounds like you are thinking either a 4x10 or two 2x12s, IME a good single 2x12 is a direct comparison to a single 4x10 (not much smaller in many cases in cab volume size), two 2x12s is a monster rig not to be confused with a single 4x10!
[/quote]
Just one to start with

As I said earlier, IMHO the Barefaced S12 is better than any 4X10 by a long chalk. However, today I bought an Ashdown ABM 410T, and that's very nice too. I'm going to need another ABM though if I'm going to match the power handling of the S12. If I can get another one for around £150, that's basically an 8X10 for £300, no?

Would I rather have an S12? Yes! It's a brilliant-sounding 1200W cab that's a one-hand lift. But I just don't have £730 burning a hole in my pocket. You pays your money, etc.

Edit: Or as in my case you don't pay your money, etc. and get backache. :unsure:

Edited by discreet

I have a single 4 ohm 2x12 rated at 600w with an adjustable tweeter built in, coupled to an amp that puts out full wattage at 4 ohms I cant think of a venue where it would not be enough on its own, maybe a massive stadium gig but I mean massive! Regardless of anyone having more volume available if the sound guy is telling you that you need to turn your amp down on stage as its louder than the PA system out front we are all in the same boat as far as I can see. :)

For clarity a good 4x10 should be able to do the same, If you prefer 10s thats cool with me. 2x2x10, 1x4x10 or 1x2x12 I would say are the only options I would concider regardless of the brand.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341072806' post='1713545']
...if the sound guy is telling you that you need to turn your amp down on stage as its louder than the PA system out front we are all in the same boat as far as I can see...[/quote]

I've seen bands where the bass player was way too loud on stage and it results in no kind of show at all, really.

2x12 vs 4x10 is probably more about practicality than anything else as an overall statement. Different speakers and the construction of the cab offer so many variables as to make a tonal/efficiency comparisons meaningless, again as an overall statement of 2x12 vs 4x10. Decide what config you prefer the look, weight, size of and then get and do some aural testing if possible. Conversely decide on 2 or 3 different cabs of that config and post questions about them. I went for a 2x12 that would give me a 1 cab solution (4 ohm rating to allow the full 500w from my amp, not that I've ever needed it, but you never know ), fit in the car, hide away in the house and would sit tonally in the mix of my 7 piece.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341073130' post='1713546']
I've seen bands where the bass player was way too loud on stage and it results in no kind of show at all, really.
[/quote]

The same folks who insist on an Ampeg 8x10 in the Nuns Chuff on a friday night and wonder why no one stays to watch and goes to the quiet pub up the road!

And +1 to everything ezbass said :)

The driver dimension doesn't matter and aside from anything else, asking which is better is a bit like asking which is the best flavour ice-cream!

On this thread alone (never mind the dozens of others over the years) there will be contradictory views that one driver 'size' sounds better than another... the same size driver (even the actual same driver) will sound different in a cab of a different size or material construction of the cab. I love my Aguilar DB112s but I don't like ALL 12" driver loaded cabs (I personally have disliked the Barefaced 112 as I found it too mid rangy and boxy in comparison to my DB but that is just my perception). I loved the sound of my old Hughes & Kettner 2x12 but I detested the sound of a 2x10 Ashdown that I had (briefly).

JTUK on here has stated that his pair of DB2x10 cabs sound better than his pair of DB1x12 cabs; I'll disagree EVERY time and say the pair of DB1x12s sound better (and yes I have done a direct A/B comparison with the same cabs), is either of us proving the other wrong? NO, because it is just a different view on the sound that 'we' want to hear.

I can also pass comment (not stating fact or some scientific law) that I prefer the sound of my pair of DB1x12 Aguilar cabs as opposed to the DB2x12 that I have and it is solely down to the fact that I can stack my 1x12s on their side to get a bit of extra height at a gig whereas the 2x12 is fixed in the position that it is.

Oh and vanilla is best! :D

Surface area wise, a 212 is virtually equal to a 310, in the amount of air being pushed - I remember working it all out, from some equation that was on-line, but can`t remember what the equation was now.

So it really depends on preference. And I think there are differences in tone between speaker size - but only within the same brand/range. But not a generic "these are bassier than those" across brands.

I currently run 2xDB210 against 2xAE112 and the DB's are better for me. They fill the stage better and have a much more pleasant low B and they
produce the higher end more smoothly.
The AE's are lighter and quite solid but there is something lacking compared to the DB's..
Whether I would be quite as aware of this if the DB's weren't bought first or whether, had I bought AE112's first, would I have gone after anything else, I am unsure..
but as it stands, the DB210's negate the need to me to have 2x112.
I am happy that I can run the two rigs..and the lighter rig has its uses and it is by no means poor by any stretch and it gets complements but for me, it is deffo second best
to the 2x210.

It is a lighterwieght rig and you can sum it up as being a lighter weight sound..but we are talking about small margins here.