Why become a member? ×

2x12 vs 4x10

Lord Sausage

As a couple of you may know. I've been pecking heads about ohmage and wattage due to my vast ignorance in all things technical. I've actually learned a little and quite enjoyed it. So i wonder if any of you could give me your opinions on what the pros and cons are between 2x12 cabs and 4x10's, if any!

cheers

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1340822936' post='1710197']
Sorry, couldn't resist. :P

It really depends on what the cab is doing with the 14hz & what it does with it at volume.
[/quote]
Just say you have the 52hz one. Does that mean it is less responsive at low frequency? And is 52hz a poor rating?!

Edited by Lord Sausage

The low E on the bass is @ 41hz, the low B on a 5 is @31hz. 52hz is @ Ab. However, the harmonics a note produces are what we often hear & usually an octave up, but trick our mind into thinking it's the root note.
The lower hz a cab can produce though = trouser flapping. B)

Edited to say, 52hz sounds like it might be a guitar cab?

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1340824026' post='1710213']
The low E on the bass is @ 41hz, the low B on a 5 is @31hz. 52hz is @ Ab. However, the harmonics a note produces are what we often hear & usually an octave up, but trick our mind into thinking it's the root note.
The lower hz a cab can produce though = trouser flapping. B)

Edited to say, 52hz sounds like it might be a guitar cab?
[/quote]
i use a 5 string so a 52 hz cab would be no good then. I'm looking at a number of different cabs and just trying to research them. The one at 52hz is a[size=3] [color=#000000][font=verdana, tahoma, arial, helvetica]Gallien Krueger 212MBE 8 Ohm. [/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1340824813' post='1710224']
If you're looking for a GK 2x12, you'd be better spending a little extra on the Neo 212-II. Why not a 2x10?
[/quote]
dunno, as you've probably guessed don't know much about this side. I got a 400w marshall head and a Peavey 2x10 and a 1x15 when i was 18, about 15yrs ago and have always used that so never looked into the tech side. Just concentrated on playing. Now its time for new stuff and i know bugger all

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1340822146' post='1710177']
Will a quality 2x12 outpace or almost outpace a decent 4x10?[/quote]

The Barefaced Super Twelve I'm currently using is better in [i]every [/i]way than [i]any [/i]4X10 I've ever used. IMHO. :D

From a non-musical front, the 212, if the drivers are vertically aligned, it will have a smaller stage foot-print. Good chance it will be lighter too. These can be important factors, especially if using the cab a lot, and if there are a lot of people in the band. I`ve a 410 which I love, but in one of my bands - an 8 piece - I sometimes wish I had something a bit smaller, save on cluttering up the stage. But I can`t afford another cab, and am in no way getting rid of the 410.

I've just finished a band practice which I didn't take my super 12 and had to use a GK 4x10 Which to me sounded sh*te and couldn't get a decent tone that I can get with all 12 o clock settings on my shuttle 9, I got the bloke there to change the cab as to be fair it sounded like it was on the way out, then gave me a Warwick 4x10 which sounded like I had plugged my lead into a nice wet turd. So in my experience my super 12 beats any cab I have played weather that's a 4x10 x1 or x2 or a 1x15 and 4x10 or 2x10 x 1 or x2............. I think you may get the point I'm tired so excuse my rambling :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340825197' post='1710233']
The Barefaced Super Twelve I'm currently using is better in [i]every [/i]way than [i]any [/i]4X10 I've ever used. IMHO. :D[/quote]

I would go further and say that given a powerful amp it could quite well be the 21st-century equivalent of the 8X10. Oh yes.

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1340839181' post='1710505']
I've just finished a band practice which I didn't take my super 12 and had to use a GK 4x10 Which to me sounded sh*te and couldn't get a decent tone that I can get with all 12 o clock settings on my shuttle 9, I got the bloke there to change the cab as to be fair it sounded like it was on the way out, then gave me a Warwick 4x10 which sounded like I had plugged my lead into a nice wet turd. So in my experience my super 12 beats any cab I have played weather that's a 4x10 x1 or x2 or a 1x15 and 4x10 or 2x10 x 1 or x2............. I think you may get the point I'm tired so excuse my rambling :)
[/quote]

What GK cab was it? :)

Asking how a 212 compares to a 410 is a bit like asking how a 450w head compares to a 500w head, it's a very general question. If you're looking at specific cabs, it'd be easier to help. :)

The lowest frequency a cab goes to is pretty much irrelevant, the volume it does it at is more important and that's not easy info to get hold of.

Erm I think it was the GLX? Had gold speakers, in fairness it did sound like it had been abused so I didn't want to add to it so stopped using it.

For me I've got a sound I like in my head from the super 12 and it's easily noticeable when I'm not using it :)

Bear in mind that the cabs don't cut off at 52Hz or whatever. 52Hz is the frequency at which output is 3dB lower than at the reference frequency (often 1KHz). The response will progressively taper off as you go down in frequency but 52Hz is not a limit.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1340824366' post='1710218']
....i use a 5 string so a 52 hz cab would be no good then. I'm looking at a number of different cabs and just trying to research them....[size=3][color=#000000][font=verdana, tahoma, arial, helvetica] [/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

As an example, Ampeg 410's have a frequency response of 60Hz-18kHz, according to their web site. Believe me, you can get a ton of low bass, 5 string and other wise, out of one of those.