Why become a member? ×

I need a bigger fatter sound!

FourStrung

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1339521000' post='1689863']
I was amazed when I first used mine - how the hell does it do what it does? - It gives a big FAT yet spacious sound. Mines never been off my board since the day I bought it.
[/quote]

and it's a DI too ... Result !

in fact, i can't understand why second-hand prices are so cheap, when they retail for £150 odd.

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1339517653' post='1689752']
I think you have to be a tiny bit careful with effects in a 'traditional' setting.
You listen to any old blues rock with a single guitar & bass, when the guitar solos, the bass doesn't really change much, check out [/quote]

Check out Rory Gallagher and Johnny Winter, oh and Early Sabbath, for guitar solos with same bass tone, but shedloads more notes, also Skynyrd (I know they had 3 guitarists) but playing more under the solo actually works better in some respects. Particularly blues rock. :)

You're looking for the wrong solution to the problem IMO.

You dont [i]need[/i] fx, I've played that set list too, and only used a compressor because as the resident BC compressor fetishist I'd never live it down if anyone here ever saw me play without one (or saw me play actually, but I digress).

The answer is not really more fx, a good fat sound is a matter of eq, and technique. Not wildly pushed bass, just a dab (3dB) of low mid (at 250Hz ish) will fatten up any sound - careful you dont descend into mud though.

Play more gently, but turn the amp up, this will lower the ratio of the transient spike level at the beginning of each note in relation to the rest of the note, alot like a compressor can, giving you a far warmer, fuller sound. you can also use a touch of well set up compression to give your bass a bit more impact when playing like this, and get a really punchy weighty sound, but this isnt really necessary.

Filling the gaps effectively when the guitarist goes toward the dusty ended flights of fancy that are his want are more about the [i]arrangement[/i] and the rhythm section as a whole working together to keep the groove fat and and underpinning the guitarist. Also study the rhythm guitar part and modify your bass line at those points that "Captain Finger Lickin Good" wanders off on his own to incorporate some of what the guitar had about it - rhythmically, or a double stop chord or two thrown in, it doesnt have to be alot, or even more notes than before, just a hint of what is now gone. You will be amazed at how far a couple of licks from the rhythm part can go toward reminding the punters (and guitarist) of what was there. Just dotn lose the groove at that point!

Get your guitarist to listen again to guitar led trios; Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top), Clapton (Cream), SRV, Garry Moore, Johnny Winter etc.

It's the guitarist who has to adapt more than the bass or drums when going from a 4 piece to a trio.

When I want to fatten up my sound I reach for the cheap as chops Behringer BDI 21 preamp/DI It can add some nice valvey oomph. I'm forming a new four piece with a vocalist/harmonica player (looking for drummer & guitarist). I think its likely that the pedal will be used a lot in the band as it is perfect for grubbying up the sound from my LM2 a bit.

Didn't read everything, but I did read about bumping up your low-mids, and that's good advice. Keep your eq uncluttered, might even pull some lows out of there (and if it sounds a little ugly or thin solo'd, well that doesn't say it won't be great in the mix. I'm thin and a little ugly, and that seems to work for me...). Keep some space- some 'air'- in your playing, that's been said also; be pretty bold about that! Bring everyone else in the band forward with your bass line and provide a hefty floor for 'em all to walk around on. Then, voila! Shakin' bootys-a-poppin'.

Your rig sounds tight... Pedals? Eh, I'd want to make sure my gear were 'tuned up' first. Less... more.

Edited by Count Bassie

ok so he may have some effects on his bass (not sure on that one) but here's a great example of 3 guys playing where the drums and bass create a groove and space for the guitarist without the need for anything fancy (check out the guitar solo part at 2.00 minutes), Im sure there loads better examples but this one came to mind first!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DFsBcVMDA"][b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DFsBcVMDA[/b][/url]

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1339596490' post='1691163']
Oh and when it comes to amp based one knob or on off comrpession - do yourself a favour and leave it turned off.
[/quote]Thanks fr the tips, they sound like well practice solutions and will give it a try next time out.
Looks like I need to shop around for a compression pedal then :)

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1339651043' post='1691924']
ok so he may have some effects on his bass (not sure on that one) but here's a great example of 3 guys playing where the drums and bass create a groove and space for the guitarist without the need for anything fancy (check out the guitar solo part at 2.00 minutes), Im sure there loads better examples but this one came to mind first!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DFsBcVMDA"][b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DFsBcVMDA[/b][/url]
[/quote]Nice example of making more of the base in the solo - thanks

[quote name='FourStrung' timestamp='1339700257' post='1693053']
Checked out some videos of the xciter and impressed by what it does - now on an ebay saved search :)
[/quote]

good move. :)

in fact, the only problem i forsee, is that once you switch it on, you'll want that as your main sound, and then something extra when the guitarist goes AWOL, .. :D

(i would decript the letters AWOL, but i'm on best behaviour at the mo .. :ph34r: )

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1339703678' post='1693131']
good move. :)

in fact, the only problem i forsee, is that once you switch it on, you'll want that as your main sound, and then something extra when the guitarist goes AWOL, .. :D

(i would decript the letters AWOL, but i'm on best behaviour at the mo .. :ph34r: )
[/quote]That has a familar ring to it :laugh1: .... what next? I think the only thing that stops me from spending all my money on gear is that I am not single anymore, well that and lack of a full time job. I have the least amount of gear in a long time, but not complaining. Odd thing is, I seam to have more to do now than when I was working!