Why become a member? ×

Seriously considering giving up bass & moving back to synths.

xgsjx

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1338911967' post='1680958']
Second hand Nord Lead 1 or 2. One control per parameter. Built like a tank. Pretty much all the analogue synth sounds you could want. If I only had one hardware synth this is the one I'd keep. I got the rack version of the Lead 1 to use live as an alternative to lugging my vintage (and very heavy) Roland Jupiter 6 out to gigs. I ended up selling the Jupiter as the Nord did all the same sounds and was far more versatile.
[/quote]

I was looking at the Clavia stuff. Always liked them for look & sound. I'm thinking of heading down the "workstation" route, but I suppose I could do all the multitracking on the Mac easy enough. I would like a 73 or 88 keybed.

It's the music that matters and the means by which you make it are less important. All the greatest jazz musicians also play(ed) piano (Miles, Dizzy, Coltrane, Mingus, Jack De Johnette, Pat Metheny etc). Many more play more than one instrument (saxophonist Chris Potter plays guitar as does drummer Omar Hakim, whilst guitarist Birelli Lagrene also plays bass). There is simply no need to choose, you play both (besides, you can't learn how NOT to play so, even if you do not have a bass at any given point, you are still a bass player and can always go back to it). What is important is that you are involved in the creation of music in whatever way makes you happy and prodictive. I have to say that I could spend all of my time composing on Sibelius, I love that part of the process so much. Its all good.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1338915694' post='1681052']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCRZLr9oRw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]
[/quote]

Classic 80s synths. I believe it's a Yamaha CS80 & a SCI Prophet 5.

& Tony Levin on bass. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1338910781' post='1680930']
The main synth manufacturers from back in the 80's appear to still be the ones to look at.
Roland, Korg & Yamaha with Dave Smith taking up SCI's position.

Akai, Waldorf & a few others seem to have bailed from the hardware synth market with some just making one or two small things (no big workstations).
[/quote]

These days, it largely depends on your budget. AFAIK, £1000 will not give you a Roland, Korg or Yamaha that can compete with some lesser known brands (unless something new has come up since last year), whilst the £2000 - £3000 Yamahas and Rolands still are worthwile to buy.
I've written this here before, but for pure synth power, the Akai Miniak and the Waldorf Blofeld are beasts. However, they need external MIDI keyboards for the 73 or 88 keys.

A Clavia Nord Stage is more limited because of its rather primitive synth module, but will most often make one happy user nonetheless due to the lovely organ and piano modules and its good keyboards.

All that said, one of the most massive beasts is the Clavia Nord Modular G2. You will NEVER see the end of that thing. All modelling, including both patch making and building filters etc, is done on a pc, but the thing is physical.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1338916982' post='1681087']
Tony Levin on bass. :)
[/quote]A P Bass with a disposable nappy under the strings for the outro section.

Don't Give Up, great song, great sentiment.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1338918026' post='1681103']
These days, it largely depends on your budget. AFAIK, £1000 will not give you a Roland, Korg or Yamaha that can compete with some lesser known brands (unless something new has come up since last year), whilst the £2000 - £3000 Yamahas and Rolands still are worthwile to buy.
I've written this here before, but for pure synth power, the Akai Miniak and the Waldorf Blofeld are beasts. However, they need external MIDI keyboards for the 73 or 88 keys.

A Clavia Nord Stage is more limited because of its rather primitive synth module, but will most often make one happy user nonetheless due to the lovely organ and piano modules and its good keyboards.

All that said, one of the most massive beasts is the Clavia Nord Modular G2. You will NEVER see the end of that thing. All modelling, including both patch making and building filters etc, is done on a pc, but the thing is physical.
[/quote]

Finding the right synth for you is probably even harder than finding the right bass It's not just a question of the basic sound of the oscillators and filters but all the other features and everyone has different ideas of what is important and what they can live without.

Before you go looking for a synth you have to ask yourself what's important - keyboard playability? parameter access? lots of good presets? ease of programming? IMO opinion new synths from the traditional Japanese big names - Korg, Roland and Yamaha are all great if you want loads of good sounding presets and a playable keyboard action, but not so good if you want ease of producing new sounds yourself.

Personally I'd never have another Waldorf synth again. I have a Microwave XT, but despite the fact that it sports a multitude of controls on the front panel all the really interesting stuff is still buried in the menu selections and not exactly intuitive. It's a synth that promised lots but didn't really deliver, and as a company they've already gone out of business twice...

The Nord modular is an interesting thing, but what lots of people don't realise is that the strength of the original modular synths was the ability to interface them with other audio equipment and instruments. Also 95% of modular patches can be done far better and more reliably by using MIDI continuous controller values run from a sequencer instead of patching in another envelope generator/LFO/sample and hold module.

When I got the synth bug a few years ago I ended up buying a second-hand [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr02/articles/novationkstation.asp"]Novation K-Station[/url] on ebay for not very much. Small keyboard (but I also have a 76-note stage piano I can use to play it with), but everything you'd expect/want from a proper synth*, with a sensible user interface (unlike the microkorg).

(* I mean the "build the sound from scratch from the oscillators up" kind of synth rather than the "choose from hundreds of real instrument samples & presets" type synth.)

Edited by Earbrass

You have to bear in mind that most musicians are fluid. Styles, infuences, instruments, bands, clothing, hats .. All are apt to change as you progress through your musical life.

For instance, I haven't touched bass or electric guitar for about two months, except for a few rehearsals, recording and gigs. I'm currently devoted to flamenco guitar and don't really have any inspiration to play anything else. But as soon as I have more rehearsals, recording and gigs on bass or electric guitar I'll be using them and the flamenco will take a back seat for a little bit. I know how I am, I'm very very changeable, fickle and obsessive.

Just bear in mind that getting rid of gear that you may need again costs time, effort and financial loss.

My idea of a synth is something that you can make your own sounds on. If you can't do that then it's not a synth, it's a keyboard (possibly an expensive glorified one at that! :lol: ).

Looking at ideas around the £1k mark (& whatever extra I have goes on active monitors & a stand). So far I have been looking at...

76 or 88 key remote keyboard from CME (the Z-Key) with a decent rack/desktop synth or two.

Roland Juno Stage.

Korg M50 73 key.

Yamaha MOX8 (probably 2nd hand to keep it in budget).

& also considering 2nd hand units & getting a couple of things.

The bass & gear sitting there is just frustrating the hell outta me as I want to play in a band, but can't. Soooooo frustrating! I'll sell it after my wedding. :(

Go with your gut! Instinct, that is.

It sounds like you're set on selling up and picking up a synth...so go for it and maybe pick up a cheap 2nd hand bass for <£100 or so when the opportunity arises.

Whichever option, don't be a stranger on these forums as you'll be missed! Hell, most of the music I post on here is 99-100% 'synthesised' anyway...so it hasn't stopped me ;-)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339018841' post='1682668']
I'm not gonna be leaving the forum anytime soon. Still make plenty low end with a synth! :D
[/quote]

Well I'm always on the lookout for juicy, low-end synth sounds! If you ever want to collaborate or lend some noises to my own creations then get in touch anytime.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1339359195' post='1687462']
Well I'm always on the lookout for juicy, low-end synth sounds! If you ever want to collaborate or lend some noises to my own creations then get in touch anytime.
[/quote]

I might just do that some time. :)