Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire's bass question

4 Strings

Just getting into early Yes, avoided it at the time as I didn't like the geeky kids at school who liked Yes. Taken me a while but grown up now!

I understand Chris used the same bass throughout his career (as opposed to getting through dozens of cream Rickenbackers). Is this true?

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1337936180' post='1667545']
Rumour I heard right here on Basschat was that a lot of that classic unmistakeable Rickenbacker sound he got was actually from a Jazz.
[/quote]

There are clips of him recording with a Jazz, for Fragile I think?

there was an interview in recent bass player (iirc?) magazine where he explained the origin of his first r*** and how he attributes all the mods done to it as being significant in his opinion to the tone of that specific instrument

is interesting how some things never change though - i discovered all the early yes albums when at school when they were released at the time. even then all the kids who liked all the prog stuff were considered to be the geeky types but frankly when you discover '[b]one size fits all[/b]' at the age of 16 then you just KNOW you are intellectually superior to all the chart listening plebs!! :lol:

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337936052' post='1667543']
Just getting into early Yes, avoided it at the time as I didn't like the geeky kids at school who liked Yes. Taken me a while but grown up now!

I understand Chris used the same bass throughout his career (as opposed to getting through dozens of cream Rickenbackers). Is this true?
[/quote]

He has a couple of the prototype 4001CS's apparently, but the bass he always falls back onto (and certainly whenever I've seen Yes live) is THAT bass. He got it when he worked in Boosey & Hawkes in the early sixties, third or fourth imported into UK. Originally Fireglo, it got covered in wallpaper then stripped for the cream finish. Most of that stuff is pretty well documented. What isn't quite so well documented is the tumble he took during a gig in the early 70's that resulted in a complete headstock break. It got repaired and remarkably the bass is still going strong.

Rumour I heard right here on Basschat was that a lot of that classic unmistakeable Rickenbacker sound he got was actually from a Jazz.
[/quote]

The 75 Jazz (natural finish, maple neck with blocks) was used on most of Relayer and a good chunk of Going for the One.

He stuck to his guns in playing as he wanted. I think he was fortunate that Yes took off as it did, wonder what he would have done otherwise.

I admire him, I think too many go for that 'professional' style rather than something creative. Plenty more work available with the 'professional' style but I'm thankful for those who stay in the creative mould.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337940163' post='1667621']
He stuck to his guns in playing as he wanted. I think he was fortunate that Yes took off as it did, wonder what he would have done otherwise.

I admire him, I think too many go for that 'professional' style rather than something creative. Plenty more work available with the 'professional' style but I'm thankful for those who stay in the creative mould.
[/quote]

Its an interesting argument; I think he's said himself that he would never have made it as a session player as he didn't have that adaptability. In terms of his creativity it could be argued that he'd said all he needed to say with his style of playing by about the mid eighties and that he has been spent since. I certainly thought that, but then I heard "New World" off the second Conspiracy album (song itself a bit cheesy but what a bassline) in a record shop one day a couple of years back - the lad still has it! :)

[/quote]

He did use a Jazz occasionally in the 70s but it's a very different sound to the Rick, the songs with the Jazz have a thicker, burpier tone. A bit more of a standard bass sound.

I'm sure that in the video for No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed he has his Telecaster bass with second single coil fitted.

I saw them a few years back and Chris & Steve changed guitars every song

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1337948190' post='1667848']
I've seen him use a Jazz bass, a non reverse Thunderbird & his old faithful Rickenbacker (along with many other basses) & he sounded pretty much the same with all of them.
[/quote]

Have a listen to 'The Gates of Delirium' from Relayer - def Jazz
Compare to 'Roundabout' (and, of course 'The Fish') from Fragile - there's your Rick.

btw, any other animal name bass players to add to this and The Ox?

[/quote]

As above, he has used a Jazz on some tracks (Parallels etc), but the rumours are (as is often the case) wrong. ;)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1337948190' post='1667848']
I've seen him use a Jazz bass, a non reverse Thunderbird & his old faithful Rickenbacker (along with many other basses) & he sounded pretty much the same with all of them.
[/quote]

They sound completely different to me... Very noticably still Squire playing, but very different tones. Well most of the time anyway :)

Different strokes and all that.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337940163' post='1667621']

[/quote]

+1 to that.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337948842' post='1667866']

Have a listen to 'The Gates of Delirium' from Relayer - def Jazz
Compare to 'Roundabout' (and, of course 'The Fish') from Fragile - there's your Rick.

btw, any other animal name bass players to add to this and The Ox?
[/quote]

Gates is the Rick isn't it? Sound Chaser and To Be Over is the Jazz.

What about Red Barchetta? ;)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1337949266' post='1667879']
They sound completely different to me... Very noticably still Squire playing, but very different tones. Well most of the time anyway :)

[/quote]

+1 to that too.

In addition to the other basses and to answer BRXs question, he has used the Mouradian on more recent stuff (relatively speaking) and also used a 21 fret 4001 on Starship Trooper.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1337949387' post='1667885']
Gates is the Rick isn't it? Sound Chaser and To Be Over is the Jazz.

What about Red Barchetta? ;)
[/quote]

You're right. Rick for Gates, just had a listen, was thinking of a different track before. The other two are a Jazz.

Your turn now, Barchatta is Rush, or are you asking whether Geddy is using a Rick for that one?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337956742' post='1668048']

You're right. Rick for Gates, just had a listen, was thinking of a different track before. The other two are a Jazz.

Your turn now, Barchatta is Rush, or are you asking whether Geddy is using a Rick for that one?
[/quote]

I know it's Rush, this thread just reminded me of the seemingly eternal 'Rick or Jazz' debate when discussing Geddy Lee :)

For the record, I think Barchetta is the Rick :)

There were some photos (I think from the Syn tour a few years ago) where you could see that CS had a few 4001CS basses as backups. While he's used a Jazz from time to time, I'd say it's not as often as those rumours would imply. I think that 21 fret mapleglo 4001 was used for quite a bit of The Yes Album (can't remember if that was due to the aforementioned headstock repair). In fact, that repair was originally quite poorly done and the truss rods could not be adjusted due to being stuck with glue. It had to be 're-repaired' sometime later.

Always loved Chris's playing - a melodic & upfront approach, with no concerns about 'traditional' roles. Live, I thought he brought a lot of energy to things, especially his 70s performances. Everyone always raves about his work with Bill Bruford, but I also enjoy the way he performed with Alan White - sometimes they sounded like they were about to go off the rails.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1337957336' post='1668063']
I know it's Rush, this thread just reminded me of the seemingly eternal 'Rick or Jazz' debate when discussing Geddy Lee :)

For the record, I think Barchetta is the Rick :)
[/quote]

Haha, it is reminiscent of those debates.

According to Geddy Lee it is (and I think he's right in this case).

I love the old Yes records - haven't really listened to much after 'Drama' TBH. I'm kind of listening from a distance as I wasn't born until 'Relayer' came out, so for me, it's about the merit of the songs.

Chris' bass tone is without doubt the highlights of some, already excellent records. Last week or so, I've been getting into 'Yesshows' - great version of 'Gates' on there, one of my fav Yes tracks.

I even enjoy 'Tormato'! Nowhere near as bad as I've read about.

Only thing I can offer on the debate is that I did read that he used a Telecaster bass on 'South Side Of The Sky'. Aside from that, I like to think it's the Ric on most of the other stuff.

I'm surprised 'Time & A Word' never gets more of a mention. Fabulous record, and Chris' tone on that album is sublime.

Let's not forget the triple-neck Wal, his extended scale Tobias, Lakland and even a fretless Carvin in there somewhere but I don't know on what records he's used those latter ones.

In terms of Squire's approach, I think Trevor Rabin changed it dramatically back to a less melodic, more traditional role and the reason? Yes lost the 'band as chamber-orchestra' approach and had to hide behind Rabin's power chords and his primary melodic position.

All hail classic Yes circa 71-76!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1337963731' post='1668173']
Only thing I can offer on the debate is that I did read that he used a Telecaster bass on 'South Side Of The Sky'. Aside from that, I like to think it's the Ric on most of the other stuff.

[/quote]

Along side Siberian Khatru, That's one of my favourite Yes songs

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1337961641' post='1668138']I think that 21 fret mapleglo 4001 was used for quite a bit of The Yes Album (can't remember if that was due to the aforementioned headstock repair). In fact, that repair was originally quite poorly done and the truss rods could not be adjusted due to being stuck with glue. It had to be 're-repaired' sometime later.
[/quote]

Headstock break happened quite a bit after TYA; think they were touring Close To The Edge or Topographic Oceans at the time.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1337963731' post='1668173']

I'm surprised 'Time & A Word' never gets more of a mention. Fabulous record, and Chris' tone on that album is sublime.
[/quote]

I'd heard about the Tele bass too on that tune. His ex-wife ran off with that and the 21 fret Rick and put them up for auction years later. Might explain his choice of bass (Lakland P) when they started playing South Side of the Sky on the 35th anniversary tour.

Couple of shots of the Tele bass, don't know if they've been put up on BC before so apologies for any duplication:

[attachment=108739:CS Tele Bass.jpg]

[attachment=108741:CS Tele Bass 2.jpg]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1337948903' post='1667869']
Did he ever use the Mouradian CS74?
[/quote]

He (generally) sticks to a pattern of using the bass he recorded the tune with for live/promo appearances so using that logic, it's a good bet the bass used on Owner of a Lonely Heart was the Mouradian.