Why become a member? ×

"solo" gear and band gear

I was speaking to someone t'other day and made the comment that if I wasn't in a band, I'd probably be using different gear to the setup I have now.

That's not to say that my gear doesn't sound brilliant on it's own, but I think that if fitting in with a mix wasn't a concern to me, I'd probably be using both different basses and amps.

I LOVE the way my ray/GK gear cuts through a mix, with our guitarist's Mesa it all fits like a glove, I don't have to worry about when the guitar drops out for a section the music sounds empty or muddy and in the band we have a full sound despite being a 3 piece. I just find when I'm playing at home and it's just me (assuming I'm using one of my proper amps, not just my 10w practice amp) that it doesn't sound quite perfect. I honestly can't imagine it sounding better in a band context (for my tastes) though.

It mainly comes from things like bass bashes or trying out basses/amps in shops, they always sound different to in the mix and there's been some tones I've been blown away by on their own. It's like the guitarist thing of scooping your mids when you're alone but in a band it doesn't really work.

Anyone else ever think that or is it just me? :D Or for those not in a band, do you ever think that "I love this gear but if I get into a band I don't think it'd work as well"?

What you're saying here brings to mind a recent thread on here that observed that when it's been isolated the bass sound on some very well known and 'iconic' songs sounds disappointing. It's how the bass has 'mixed' (in the broadest sense of the word) with the other instruments that has been a large part of the magic.

Agree, for me, the combination of Fender Precision/Ampeg is king, however, it just isn`t right for the punk covers band I`m in, so after shopping around, I`ve ended up with the GK MB Fusion - and great it is too. Enables me to have a good bass presence, without being too warm & muddy, and also to keep out of the way of the guitar, but still do my job properly.

And am currently gassing for a Sterling Ray34, which is wayyyy out of my comfort zone, but think will work very well for the sound I want - and GAS never hurts anyway, does it?

I use the gear I use, if a band doesn't want me to use it I suggest they get a different player.

I thought this thread was going to be more about using a 10w practice amp which is what I do. Mainly because I don't want to upset the neighbours and I can't be bothered to take my rig out of the flight case though. A lot of amps just don't sound so good at low volumes.

Atta boy, Lozz ;) You know I love my ray/GK setup.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1337769888' post='1665081']
I use the gear I use, if a band doesn't want me to use it I suggest they get a different player.

I thought this thread was going to be more about using a 10w practice amp which is what I do. Mainly because I don't want to upset the neighbours and I can't be bothered to take my rig out of the flight case though. A lot of amps just don't sound so good at low volumes.
[/quote]

I'm not talking about whether or not the band wants you, I'm talking about you getting a tone that you think is perfect and what contributes to your idel sound being different when it's just you and when you're in the mix. :)

If I didn't play gigs with a band I probably wouldn't have an amp and speakers at all - I'd just use the Pod into my studio set up.

I would hope that my live rig (Pod into a valve/digital hybrid amp) plus the range of basses I have at my disposal are versatile to cover pretty much any kind of music I want to play.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1337770924' post='1665102']I'm not talking about whether or not the band wants you, I'm talking about you getting a tone that you think is perfect and what contributes to your idel sound being different when it's just you and when you're in the mix. :)
[/quote]

I got that, but my point was more that you buy the right gear to suit what you do & go from there. I can always get the right tone I want because my gear suits what I do. I agree tone in isolation and within the mix are two very different things but generally if you are in the right area in the first place it shouldn't cause too many problems

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1337771682' post='1665115']
If I didn't play gigs with a band I probably wouldn't have an amp and speakers at all - I'd just use the Pod into my studio set up.

[/quote]

+1 Now I'm no longer playing bass in a band, I've sold my amps - don't need them for solo noodling or recording.

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1337771682' post='1665115']

I would hope that my live rig (Pod into a valve/digital hybrid amp) plus the range of basses I have at my disposal are versatile to cover pretty much any kind of music I want to play.
[/quote]

I don't use my amp at home at all. I just use a preamp into a mixer and play with headphones. I think I get a better sound than I would using a practice amp and it means I don't annoy my wife/baby. It also means that I can just take my preamp to gigs and DI it and get exactly the same results.

nope..I use what I use because it does what I want it to. Why else would I want it?
My sound and tone and therefore style, is the same ..pretty much..at home or on a gig.

The only reason I can see where you might change things up is for visual/cosmetic reasons and that might be valid if large sums were involved.

For me, the whole point of playback systems is to produce the sound I want to hear and sound-like to go togther with what I play like.

Definitely yes.

If I was just playing for myself maybe that scooped Marcus Miller sort of sound would be satisfying and flattering or a nice Jaco 'powp'. However neither is going to work in any band I'm (mostly soul and Motown) which generally needs a fair bit or wallop at the bottom but with plenty of mids so I can hear, not just feel, what notes I'm playing.

The down side is, for a muck about during a warm up, flats and a warm tone doesn't sound so impressive. Until the band chime in, that is.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1337773225' post='1665155']

I don't use my amp at home at all. I just use a preamp into a mixer and play with headphones. I think I get a better sound than I would using a practice amp and it means I don't annoy my wife/baby. It also means that I can just take my preamp to gigs and DI it and get exactly the same results.
[/quote]

Exactly what I do, for the same reasons; and I agree, I think it's a better sound like this than I'd get from a small / turned down amp

I think maybe some people are still missing what I'm trying to say.

Ok, imagine you're a millionaire, you have a huge mansion with a totally soundproofed room in it and inside you have a bass and amp that is only used for you to practice on your own. You also have another setup that you use with your band, since you're ludicrously rich, the two setups can be whatever you want them to be to fit the situations, are they identical or do you have a different setup for practicing on your own as your gigging setup? :)

Convenience, worrying about disturbing others etc aside, does your perfect solo bass tone sound the same as your perfect "in a mix" tone?

I hope that makes a bit more sense.

I don't think mine would be different enough to warrant a second amp, I would merely select a different patch. But then the amp I practice with in my home has a 350w amp (with it's current speaker configuration, it can go up to 500w) and a 4x10 and a 1x15, and an effects unit/amp/speaker modeller. So basically a live rig, even though I don't play live... I have the amp's preamp set the same pretty much all the time and use the effects unit/modeller to change the way it sounds for different styles or situations. It works for me.

Edited by KingBollock

I know what the OP is saying, but I don't play "extreme" styles of music so I use the same bass and amp on all gigs and just change the cabs to the appropriate volume level.

If I was a millionaire I’d buy better shoes, a better car and take more holidays but I’d still be playing the same gear.