Why become a member? ×

Are we missing out?

Musicman20

The current craze of super lightweight 1x12s/1x15s that can handle serious power is going strong in the USA. The Thunderchild designs seem to be very popular and a true one cab/light solution.

There are now 1x8 cabs that are around 9lbs, yes 9lbs, with a tweeter. They apparently cover the ground that a high end 1x10 would normally cover.

I would love to see these in the UK. The Baer ML112 also looks fantastic. Yes, we have Barefaced, but having a selection of builders would be great.

I think it's probably safest for you if they're not introduced over here, you already have so much GAS, lighting a match in the same county as you is a health hazard. ;)

On a serious note though, they sound good. I don't think 1x12s have really taken off here and 1x15s are the generic cabs in general (rather than lightweight). Both are available over here but with them not being so popular, it's maybe not such a wise commercial move.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1337636804' post='1663410']
The current craze of super lightweight 1x12s/1x15s that can handle serious power is going strong in the USA. The Thunderchild designs seem to be very popular and a true one cab/light solution.

There are now 1x8 cabs that are around 9lbs, yes 9lbs, with a tweeter. They apparently cover the ground that a high end 1x10 would normally cover.

I would love to see these in the UK. The Baer ML112 also looks fantastic. Yes, we have Barefaced, but having a selection of builders would be great.
[/quote]
I had to google Thunderchild as I'd never heard of them before. The first page I landed on started with this:
[quote]Update Jan 16, 2012: [i]This page may contain grievous factual errors. We are currently diliberating the facts and will update them soon.[/i][/quote]

Not a good start...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1337638242' post='1663440']
Link :

[url="http://www.audiokinesis.com/akprosound.html"]http://www.audiokine...akprosound.html[/url]
[/quote]
Yeah, that's the site I was looking at, specifically this page - http://www.audiokinesis.com/product_ak_thunderchild112.html

It may be a perfectly fine cab, but the disclaimer rather casts a shadow over every word on that page.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1337636804' post='1663410']
[/quote]

Talkbass sure love their wee crazes

I always take certain claims with a pinch of salt especially regarding cabs...and even more so regarding Americans and their latest best things.

As in all these cases, you need to hear the things, in an ideal world, and I wouldn't be paying over the odds for forum hype.

For example, I really like the look of Baer, but they aren't available here so that rules them out as far as I am concerned.
Other stuff, I just can't get past the poor presentation so that says if they can't get that right, why trust anything else they do.. :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1337684343' post='1663844']
I always take certain claims with a pinch of salt especially regarding cabs...and even more so regarding Americans and their latest best things.

As in all these cases, you need to hear the things, in an ideal world, and I wouldn't be paying over the odds for forum hype.

For example, I really like the look of Baer, but they aren't available here so that rules them out as far as I am concerned.
Other stuff, I just can't get past the poor presentation so that says if they can't get that right, why trust anything else they do.. :lol:
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. Its all very well making a sub 40lb 2x15, but what on earth does it sound like? More importantly, how silly is the price for those speakers?

The Baer gear is excellent. I'd love to try their new amp when it comes out, (I think its like the high quality of Thunderfunk, and standard weight).

I imagine if we did see Baer here, after the dealer and the import guys take a share, you are probably talking £700 for the 1x12 with the mid (think its 6") speaker.

We do get completely ripped off with some gear.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='R Baer' timestamp='1340606315' post='1706749']
We are working on finding a distributor in the UK, but your'e correct that by the time you add on shipping and all the related fees and taxes, it does drive the cost up considerably.
[/quote]

Thanks for chipping in, I'd really like to try your gear our when it hits the UK.

The Baer cabs look ok, but those Thunderchild designs look horrendous. I may be missing the point, but surely they could of come up with something better than that? The first word that springs to mind is 'Maplin'.

Edited by jay-syncro

[quote name='jay-syncro' timestamp='1340617611' post='1706908']
....The Baer cabs look ok, but those Thunderchild designs look horrendous. I may be missing the point, but surely they could of come up with something better than that? The first word that springs to mind is 'Maplin'....
[/quote]

That’s why we get sold perfectly round, perfectly red, unblemished and tasteless tomatoes, because Brits go for looks rather than substance. For me, if it sounds good then it is, end of.

Barefaced have been criticised for their looks, but these guys are making their "super" cabs not starting from the visual but from the audio stand point.
I appreciate that design ethos

If your sound is stuck in the 60's then you’ve always had cabs that meet your need and that's good for you.

In my opinion, bass players have never been able to sound as good as they can today.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1340618677' post='1706952']
That’s why we get sold perfectly round, perfectly red, unblemished and tasteless tomatoes, because Brits go for looks rather than substance. For me, if it sounds good then it is, end of.

Barefaced have been criticised for their looks, but these guys are making their "super" cabs not starting from the visual but from the audio stand point.
I appreciate that design ethos

If your sound is stuck in the 60's then you’ve always had cabs that meet your need and that's good for you.

In my opinion, bass players have never been able to sound as good as they can today.
[/quote]

Horses for courses. I'm not knocking the concept, I just fail to understand why many of the 'new breed' of cab manufacturers seem to put aesthetics so low on the list. Why spend so much time and effort producing a 'super cab', then make it look like it was knocked up in a shed.

[quote name='jay-syncro' timestamp='1340620901' post='1706997']
....cab manufacturers seem to put aesthetics so low on the list. Why spend so much time and effort producing a 'super cab', then make it look like it was knocked up in a shed....
[/quote]

The glib answer is because they probably were.

The other side of the issue is that someone who is strong on the technical side of audio is probably not as strong on the design and marketing side of things, and these are nearly always one man companies. At the end of the day it's a black box that sits in the shadows.

We buy with our eyes, which is understandable, but in this case we should be buying with our ears. On the other hand, I'm also vain enough to agree that it is nice to stand in front of good looking gear.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1340621871' post='1707007']
We buy with our eyes, which is understandable, but in this case we should be buying with our ears. On the other hand, I'm also vain enough to agree that it is nice to stand in front of good looking gear.
[/quote]

I'd agree - but also I think probably the target market for eg the Thunderchild stuff has a different aesthetic, the people buying it will tend to pride themselves on their understanding of what goes into a good cab and, for example, the visually prominent CD horns are a big part of what they're selling. Niche markets in the US are big enough over there to make it far more viable!

Meanwhile the Maplin-esque round grille is actually the most weight-efficient (and space efficient since you don't need to recess the baffle) way of thoroughly protecting the driver. Stronger than an equivalent flat grille too.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1337638022' post='1663436']
I had to google Thunderchild as I'd never heard of them before. The first page I landed on started with this:

[color=#ff0000][b]Update Jan 16, 2012: [i]This page may contain grievous factual errors. We are currently diliberating the facts and will update them soon.[/i][/b][/color]

Not a good start...
[/quote]

That is just utterly, unbelievably wonderful. We are deep into Monty Python territory here ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1340626488' post='1707162']
....That is just utterly, unbelievably wonderful. We are deep into Monty Python territory here....
[/quote]

Oh dear!

As I said; a one man techy team will not always understand how poor marketing can kill the public’s perception of your products.

They look decent enough. ...as does the Baer.

The rest look very poor to me and whilst I accept that one man bands can't cover all bases in terms of so-called excellence
all the way through to aesthetics and even crap websites.. they still amount to flaws in design from one perspective or another, so why on earth pay top dollar
for the entire package.

It is like going to see a band with a great gtr, but the rest of the guys are average.... it brings the whole product down to the level of the lowest common denominator.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1340660211' post='1707846']
I think ALL engineers, no matter how difficult they find it, should find time to get the aesthetics right. Heck, they are probably missing a huge chunk of the market.
[/quote]Gettting it right? Or getting it familiar? Just because bass cabs have looked pretty much the same since 1960 doesn't mean that's how they s[i]hould[/i] look, at least not if their main purpose is to be listened to. Not that they need be ugly, like these close relatives of Daleks:

Those who can afford the hundred thousand quid a pair go for must not be bothered by their look any more than the likely Picasso on a nearby wall.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1340663629' post='1707938']
Gettting it right? Or getting it familiar? Just because bass cabs have looked pretty much the same since 1960 doesn't mean that's how they s[i]hould[/i] look, at least not if their main purpose is to be listened to. Not that they need be ugly, like these close relatives of Daleks:

Those who can afford the hundred thousand quid a pair go for must not be bothered by their look any more than the likely Picasso on a nearby wall.
[/quote]

Not familiar, just 'right'. I personally know I have a good eye for aesthetics and what looks almost like art. I'm personally one for making things look right. A coat keeps you warm, but isn't it better if it's a coat that suits you and looks great?! I like to think I pay attention to the way I look and I enjoy getting new clothes, shoes, etc.

All products can look good if it's thought about.

I don't mean 'this cab needs to look like an Ampeg 810E', it isn't that, it's making a logo that shows the product in the right light, and doesn't look like the 80s Peavey logo, it's making the right choice on the fit and finish and colour, and making those finishing touches.

Look at Aguilar. Great product. Great sound!

But, there is something else, a kinda 'New York' vibe meets Apple sheen to their website and their logo, to me, matches their individuality and personality.

I look into this deep, I admit, but getting a bit of art/marketing advice is very easy and cheap for any business. Heck, even I could do it.

Off the musical topic, look at the iPod and how it influenced companies like Nintendo to make a minimalist white console (Wii). The Wii has been a massive massive hit. Part of it is the modern marketing and the fact it isn't an ugly massive box.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1340660211' post='1707846']
I think ALL engineers, no matter how difficult they find it, should find time to get the aesthetics right. Heck, they are probably missing a huge chunk of the market.

The Baer's look great though :)
[/quote]

Appreciate the compliment. One thing to keep in mind is that a company like Ampeg builds in such large quantities that having things like custom hardware and grills made is not an issue. Something like the rounded corners of a TC Electronics cab, or custom yellow drivers like the MarkBass gear is no big deal in the volumes they work at, but it would add a ton of money to the final price of a product that we make. For our products, we tried to focus more on a simple, classic design, which let us spend our money on things like high quality drivers and crossovers.