Why become a member? ×

B*ggeration - damaged my new (old) DB :-(

Clarky

I did a video shoot for my band All the Queens Ravens yesterday and the 1880s German flatback I recent acquired got its first outing. We did the shoot in a vintage clothing shop (very Bohemian) which had huge but narrow metal security doors. All went well until I left the shop and accidentally smacked the bass (in its padded bag) against the edge of the metal door. Consequence is the lower front bout (near the endpin) now has two long cracks and an area that is lifting up (and buzzes when you play, so bass is unusable). So now I have two 2-hour round trips to Malcolm Healey's shop in Surrey in prospect plus the cost of repair.

No purpose behind this post other than to let off steam. Aaaaarrrggghhhh! And on the bass' very first outing too .... :(

Ouch! I feel for you mate.

Oddly enough, I've had the same weekend as you but with opposite outcomes....

Filmed a video on Friday Night and Saturday morning, then played a gig on Saturday night, which due to extra time on the footie and the inevitable lagered up morons, ended up with some pi55ed up feckwit stumbling onstage and knocking my bass off its stand onto a tiled floor. :angry: Luckily she's a tough old bird and no damage was sustained. Which is more that I can say for the feckwit...

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1337599621' post='1662444']
Ouch! I feel for you mate.

Oddly enough, I've had the same weekend as you but with opposite outcomes....

Filmed a video on Friday Night and Saturday morning, then played a gig on Saturday night, which due to extra time on the footie and the inevitable lagered up morons, ended up with some pi55ed up feckwit stumbling onstage and knocking my bass off its stand onto a tiled floor. :angry: Luckily she's a tough old bird and no damage was sustained. Which is more that I can say for the feckwit...
[/quote]

piss'd up feckwits and 78x198 doors, deffo in the top 5 things to avoid with an upright bass and why is it piss'd up feckwits are so attracted to upright basses?

Sorry to hear that Clarky. I've been using my plywood bass for years and it has seen its fair share of whacks etc. I've just bought my first solid wood bass and Im slightly concerned that if I knock it its not like the old faithful hard knock plywood bass. I keep thinking its only a matter of time myself.

I was once on a photo shoot and the drummer knocked my electric guitar out of my hand snapping the headstock off on the step. Thankfully we were able to finish off the rest of the rehearsal as the guitar was fitted with a Floyd Rose tremolo (locked at the nut) although it was a sorry sight. Fitted back on expertly by John Diggins.

Good luck with the repair and let us know how you get on.

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1337607301' post='1662628']
why is it piss'd up feckwits are so attracted to upright basses?
[/quote]

I think the beer goggles make DBs look like fat slappers...

Well, after closer inspection, it appears that Jayne isn't quite as tough as I thought - there's a 15 x 5 mm chunk knocked out of the front edge. I think it's only a flesh wound though - nothing structural seems to be damaged.

On the plus side, we got back some of the stills from the video shoot and it's all looking rather good....

Edited by TheRev

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the bass back from Malcolm Healy on Friday and he fixed the cracked/split part plus a rattling tuner for the not-at-all-exorbitant cost of £48. Phew! I had visions it would be much more than that.

Given the tuner's been fixed (was previously held tight by one of wife's hairbands) my double bass is actually better than it was before so all good in the end :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1339340933' post='1687070']
Well I got the bass back from Malcolm Healy on Friday and he fixed the cracked/split part plus a rattling tuner for the not-at-all-exorbitant cost of £48. Phew! I had visions it would be much more than that.

Given the tuner's been fixed (was previously held tight by one of wife's hairbands) my double bass is actually better than it was before so all good in the end :)
[/quote]

Hey, delighted to hear that. I didn't think anything to do with db could be £48. :)