Why become a member? ×

Time wasters and window shoppers!!!

Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1337855097' post='1666339']
What's TIM?
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/111461-why-does-no-one-buy-anything-on-this-site/page__hl__waste%20of%20tim"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/111461-why-does-no-one-buy-anything-on-this-site/page__hl__waste%20of%20tim[/url]

Thankfully most sales go without a hitch but I guess in any walk of life there are people who seriously chance it. I was selling a bass amp on EBay last year for £120 which was [u]considerably[/u] below the going rate and someone messaged me to say "Give you £50 for it". Anyone who's ever posted an amp before, nevermind paid paypal AND EBay fees knows that that's a crazy offer. Of course I had to waste time sending a really detailed message back explaining my rational - otherwise had they bought it I'd have been marked down for poor comms!

I guess you know that as a seller you have to endure a bit of tyre kicking from time to time. I always sell stuff lower than the going rate just so as it shifts quickly so it does grate a little when I get the lowball offers - especially as I always state that I don't want lowball offers. Still the opportunity to free up space and get a couple of quid always outweighs the hassle of fending off the occasionally silly message

Sounds like (@ OP) you've just had a run of bad luck which far and away doesn't reflect most transactions here. Hope it turns around for you

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1337855097' post='1666339']
What's TIM?
[/quote]

Can I just point out that there are a lot of Acronyms flying about here and I don't know any of them! There should be a glossary! :gas:

TIMMIE!

Edited by jaydentaku

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1337864485' post='1666588']
Can I just point out that there are a lot of Acronyms flying about here and I don't know any of them! There should be a glossary! :gas:

TIMMIE!
[/quote]
I can normally work them out but TIM was doing my head in a bit, I figured it was some kind of in-joke and I've almost asked about it myself a few times. Glad Neepheid linked to it's origins.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1337865558' post='1666633']
I can normally work them out but TIM was doing my head in a bit, I figured it was some kind of in-joke and I've almost asked about it myself a few times. Glad Neepheid linked to it's origins.
[/quote]

It's rather like being in the Masons.

[/quote]

We thought about it, but just didn't have the TIM.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1337873464' post='1666830']
My Father-in-law was in the Masons, for a very short time. He left because it was boring.

True story.
[/quote]

I thought they were like the Hotel California . . . . you can check out but you can never leave.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1337432187' post='1659837']

My stuff is priced so well that it's worth the journey from within 200 miles easily to come collect it IMHO.
[/quote]

At current fuel prices, it costs me 20p/mile in diesel, so a 400 mile round trip would cost £80 in fuel alone.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read through all posts on this topic but I feel your pain, Evil Undead.
I've had a recent sale fall through. The guy was super keen to come & pickup an item from me. We had a lot of communication & a day booked for pickup. Two days before pickup & the communication stopped ? I sent 2 PM's & nothing back. I could see on their profile that they had be visiting the site so must have been ignoring my messages. All I wanted was a respectful message to let me know if they were still planning to pickup the item or had changed their mind, either would be fine but no return PM or anything !
I think this kind of behaviour is just plane rude & selfish.

Communication is king.

[quote name='RandomProddy' timestamp='1337378947' post='1659233']
BRIAN: Huh. All right. I'll give you ten.

HARRY THE HAGGLER: That's more like it. Ten?! Are you trying to insult me?! Me, with a poor dying grandmother?! Ten?!

BRIAN: All right. I'll give you eleven.

HARRY THE HAGGLER: Now you're gettin' it. Eleven?! Did I hear you right?! Eleven?! This cost me twelve. You want to ruin me?!
[/quote]

Six for that? you must be mad!

I've never really had any trouble like this selling stuff on Basschat. I've received a few laughable offers at times, that are often restated when I have declined them the first time round. But I have mostly found other users very courteous and friendly.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1339246344' post='1685822']
I've never really had any trouble like this selling stuff on Basschat. I've received a few laughable offers at times, that are often restated when I have declined them the first time round. But I have mostly found other users very courteous and friendly.
[/quote] I agree. As a whole, most dealings I've had on BC have been great. Probably why I was so appalled by this particular incident. Certainly not putting down BC, bought & sold most of my gear over many years on this very site.

I sympathise with your plight as I've experienced both side of this.

Posted an ad wanting a Status last year, had cash waiting, Offered a seller £1100 which they declined, then later went on to reduce the asking price (cos' it wasn't selling) to £1100, but refused to sell it to me????

Was selling the Markbass Combo earlier this year and agreed a lower price with someone who made me an offer, guess what, they didn't go through with the deal.

That said though, I have successfully bought and sold through the forum, but I hate time wasters too.

Edited by Rowley Birkin QC

[quote name='flippyfloop' timestamp='1339251290' post='1685914']
I agree. As a whole, most dealings I've had on BC have been great. Probably why I was so appalled by this particular incident. Certainly not putting down BC, bought & sold most of my gear over many years on this very site.
[/quote]

Which incident is this? Something referenced in this thread?

TIMMIE!
[/quote]
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/9448-trying-to-understand-the-lingo-acronyms-explained/ :)