Why become a member? ×

1978 Fender US Precision

AMPEG

Re the skunk stripe. If it has a rosewood fingerboard or a maple neck with a separate maple fingerboard there is a good chance it won`t have the skunk stripe as they can fit the truss rod before fiiting the board. If it is a one piece maple neck, it will have a skunk stripe.

I think CBS bought Fender in 64 so your bass is defo post CBS. :unsure:

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1337113580' post='1655791']
Yep, mines is an all maple neck, and complete with skunk stripe :) Also, weighs loads, never had a heavier bass. Mines is also natural... i'd have another just for weirdness sake, so if you're selling...
[/quote] Yeh,lol mine weighs a ton the body is a chunk of Alder but it does create terrific tone...but also spine damage.

I've got a few - some have the stripe, some don't.
There is huge variation in the weights too. My sunburst one weighs hardly anything whereas my (formerly) Oly white one is the heaviest bass I've EVER lifted!

And it's definately a CBS era production.

So in summary i appear to have a 1978 Fender (post CBS) Ash bodied bass with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard...I also have the chrome bridge and pick up covers. Anybody know what I could hope to get for this should I wish to sell it?

[quote name='AMPEG' timestamp='1337197495' post='1657097']
So in summary i appear to have a 1978 Fender (post CBS) Ash bodied bass with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard...I also have the chrome bridge and pick up covers. Anybody know what I could hope to get for this should I wish to sell it?
[/quote]....not forgetting the skunk stripe!

Precisions from that sort of period tend to go for around £1100-ish, but it's all very dependent on condition and originality. Got any decent pics? You'll have to get a screwdriver out to determine the originality of the electronics.

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1337201006' post='1657160']
I've got a 100% original one, in about as mint condition as one could hope to get. Some rust on the screws, and some light fret wear. Not got the case. I reckon in today's climate i'd ask for ~£1000, for a quick sale, realistically.
[/quote]

I paid around that not too long ago for a well used one.. then again I think that the bumps and bruises it has give it a bit more character.

I paid £1350 for my 1977, last year. Mine has some minor scars, but no real issues. The only real thing to notice is that where it was once Vintage White, it`s aged/discoloured to more TV Yellow.

So in good nick, quick sale £1000-ish, but you could hold out for more (would love it myself actually, but not got the funds).

[quote name='AMPEG' timestamp='1337197495' post='1657097']
[/quote]Nope, it's not post CBS, it [i]is[/i] CBS.

I have a 1977 natural wood maple neck preciision which was made at the fullerton plant. I bought this new in the April of 1977, (birthday money). This bass is seriously heavy but whilst i have various others, a couple of CIJ jazz, 2 musicman stingrays, GB rumour, 1965 framus star bass, the precision is the one i turn to whenever i record anything.

It just has an amazing and totally consistent sound. Maybe it is just one sound but i cannot fault it. I know that there is some criticism of the 70's fenders but it seems no matter how many other basses i try i always come back to the fact that the first serious bass i purchased is the best. Before the precision it was various copies and a Hayman 4040 if anyone remembers them.

If i had to have only one then there would be no competition.

Could be interested in aquiring another but would need to try it out. Shame this one is so far away in South Wales!

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1337237918' post='1657420']
Nope, it's not post CBS, it [i]is[/i] CBS.
[/quote]

Indeed. CBS bought Fender in 1965, so pre-CBS is anything before that. They sold Fender in the mid-eighties, so 70s Fenders are slap in the middle of the CBS period.

I would have thought somewhere between £1000 and £1300 if its all original and in decent nick.

Edited by simon1964

I'll add to the love for the 78P. Mine is heavy and has gaps in the neck pocket, but who cares when the playability, tone and reliability are so great. It has been my only bass for the last 11 years, and in that time has fitted right in to jazz, funk, rock and reggae. Keeper.